Disapointment (Sorry Long)

Lounge By Alyson88 Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 4:57pm by m0use

Alyson88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alyson88 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 93

So, I live in Baltimore, MD. HUGE Ace of Cakes fan and like to watch the show whenever it comes on, I just started doing cakes so it's always fun to watch him and any of the other shows. Well my cousin is getting married in two weeks! I'm excited icon_smile.gif But anyway, like six months ago she met with him and asked him to do her grooms cake. So, a couple of months before the wedding her and I were at a bridal show, he was there! When she met him she said he was great, at the bridal show she walked up to him and said hi and told him how excited she was for the cake. He completely got ignorant and rude with her, gave her the biggest attitude and told her he's not making any cake. He is so busy she would be lucky is she had ordered a year ahead, he said you know who I am, and just laughed... and just i saw how much he dissapointed her. Well she didn't want him to do the cake anymore but its too late now, she won't get her money back if she cancels. I guess the good news out of it all is the producers are going to have her cake on the show so you all get to see the cake! Maybe Duff was just having a bad day... but it totally ruined my perception of him. icon_confused.gif Hopefully it tastes good

92 replies
Alyson88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alyson88 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 93

I RARELY ever post but I had to get this off my chest!

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 93

Wow, hopefully he was having a very off day. I am sorry that your friend was disapointed hopefully the cake is so amazing she can look past that and enjoy showing her new husband the cake!!

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 93

Sounds like it might have been a busy day, and maybe he didn't hear her correctly. Your post makes it sounds like he thought she was asking him to do a cake.

I do hope it was just a bad day for him. I am heading to a Cleveland Food show in November to see him.

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 93

That is really to bad that he was like that to her. I know that we all have off days and maybe that was what was wrong with him that day. You know, male PMS!!! It happens to the best of us women so who is to say it does not happen to the guys too!! I will have to keep an eye on the show to see the cake though. It sounds really cool and hopefully it will exceed her expectations and erase the bad memories away!!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 93

Sorry to hear about your experience. Maybe like the others said he didn't realize she had already booked. I am sure he has been meeting tons of people. Can't wait to see her cake.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:00am
post #7 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramski

Sounds like it might have been a busy day, and maybe he didn't hear her correctly. Your post makes it sounds like he thought she was asking him to do a cake.

that was my thought....

...HOPEFULLY!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:04am
post #8 of 93

Yes, I LOVE his show and am disappointed to hear this. Hopefully he was having a bad day. Can't wait to see the cake. Let us know how it tastes too!
Jacqui

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:06am
post #9 of 93

Having a " bad day " doesn't give you the excuse to be rude to anyone, no matter who you are

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:07am
post #10 of 93

Bad day or not that's no excuse for rude! Sounds like he was trying to be cute and it backfired. I like the show but he comes off pretty arogant. JMO

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:08am
post #11 of 93

Did ya know that Duff mentioned Cakecentral on his site?
http://www.charmcitycakes.com/noflash/index.cfm?rd=faq

at the very bottom of his decorating question section. Thought it was cool!

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:17am
post #12 of 93

Perhaps your cousin will get lucky and Geoff will do her cake, he's the talented one, oh yeah please let us know how the cake taste-- icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif they look like cornbread icon_biggrin.gif

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:20am
post #13 of 93

I am a little surprised to hear this and then maybe I'm not. Like a few other people said it still doesn't give anyone a right to be rude . It shouldn't matter if you are famous or not. icon_surprised.gif

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:25am
post #14 of 93

icon_eek.gif I am so shocked at how Duff spoke to you..........Uhmm,, not to sound "ignant" here, but question,, do you perhaps think that when he said to you that "he was not doing any cake" that he meant "he" was too busy to especially put that Duff touch to your cake?

I do agree with the others, hopefully Geoff will do your cake.. It does seem that most of his cakes are 98% foam and 2% cake.

Do indeed let us know how Duff's cakes taste.........

Good luck........ thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:28am
post #15 of 93

Sorry to hear this, I am a great admirer of Charm City cakes especially Geoff. Maybe it was a case of crossed wires like everyone else says. I hope so, I do hate to hear anyone has been rude.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:31am
post #16 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicecold

You know, male PMS!!! It happens to the best of us women so who is to say it does not happen to the guys too!!

Actually, I learned in college that men do have an emotional flux once a month when they are producing sperm. (Not to be too graphic, sorry) So, every great once in a while I get to 'level the playing field' and when DH gets crabby I say, "What's wrong, are you producing??" icon_lol.gif

I have heard so many nice things about Duff... every person that purports to have met him has said he was an absolute gentleman. Hopefully, as has been mentioned, it was a misunderstanding.

I can't wait to see the cake... it sounds awesome!!

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:34am
post #17 of 93

Bad day or not, he was there to meet people and promot his bakery. There is no reason why he should have responded that way! Sounds like all the "fame" is getting to his head! thumbsdown.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:42am
post #18 of 93

Well I won't defend him because I don't like his personality. I like his cakes and give him the credit he deserves but he sounds just like he's one of those trashy baltimorons. And please sweetie don't take that to offense for you and your cousin, not all people from Baltimore are morons icon_wink.gif I'm from MD born and raised and hell we have some here on the eastern shore too lol.

Bad day or not, "super FOOD TV star" or not... you do NOT have the right to speak to someone like that espescially in public! My husband has never been able to stomach his show because he's got this cocky jerky attitude like he's better then any other decorator out there.... and I'm sorry just because you have a show on food network and have been on a few challenges doesn't mean you're god's gift and so you shouldn't act like it icon_wink.gif

Good luck sweetie to you and your cousin and her fiance! I hope everything turns out great! icon_smile.gif

JENNSCAKES90909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JENNSCAKES90909 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:51am
post #19 of 93

I worked at a store where Duff purchases some of his supplies and he can be very ruff around the edges. The whole time thinking he is funny, when he is really being offensive. But responds quite nicely when taken to task for his behavior. I am sorry for the treatment your cousin recieved, some people dont appreciate how far they came only that they got there. If she comes into contact with him again maybe treating his highness with the same degree of indifference that he treated her will be enough to get his attention. Here's to hoping Geoff does your cake. (Duff's seem to fall apart alot)

pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #20 of 93

yeah, that sounds like him. Um hello, do you ever see him actually DO a cake. I mean, and entire cake? NO. Anyway, I hope Geoff or one of the other guys does an absolutely wonderful job on her cake. And there is absolutely no excuse for acting that way. None of us act that way, and we dont have a tv show, and people wanting to meet us. Cant wait to see it, but can you post it here on cc, you see, I dont watch HIS show.

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:56am
post #21 of 93

I'm sad to say that this didn't surprise me much. I've often thought his behavior was pretty rude when he probably just meant to be funny or off-the-cuff. I will thank him, however. I went to his site before I knew about cake central, and there was a link to here. I likely wouldn't have found you all if he hadn't mentioned it, and I've learned more from everyone here then in all the classes I ever took. I hope the cake is great, and that he gets off his high horse. I'm dying to know how it tastes!

valluvscrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valluvscrafts Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:09am
post #22 of 93

I don't post much either. I am truely sorry that anyone had to go through that . I'm new to cake decorating learning a little here and there when I can . I work in customer service and everything no matter what you do or WHO you are requires respect and customer service. I had tried to order a cake from him about a year or so ago as I don't live but maybe 45 mins away and decided not to as my business was not apppreciated. But even on there on website it comes a little harsh. I think its just his personality and niw he is well known and dometimes things can go to your head..... Let us know when the cake will be on be sure to watch out for it ...

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:21am
post #23 of 93

I have met hima and he was very nice! I am sure we can wait for Mary Alice to read this and respond. Or one of the other decorators such as Mary are also on this board.

Lostinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lostinalaska Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:22am
post #24 of 93

I met him once and was not impressed with him at all, yes his cakes are nice but he can be rude.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:25am
post #25 of 93

Duff has a pretty cool shop but the one that impressed me the most as far as cakes is Mike from Mike's Amazing Cakes. I had seen his website before but then when I saw him enter a competition I was like WOW! That's who I wanna be when I grow up!!!! I was dying over his Peter Pan cake. I guess because I do 3D cakes, I'd love to go work with Mike for a couple weeks and learn a few things.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:26am
post #26 of 93

Unfortunately, we are human. We do have emotions and sometimes....we wear them on our sleeves. I am one of those people. As much as I know this, it is hard to "put on a happy face" if I am not having a good day. Let's hope Duff was just having a bad day.

I think his show helps all of us because it is showing the general public what cake decorating is all about. Not just slapping some icing on some cake.

So, I hope he was just having a bad day because I admire him for giving up his personal space and exposing the aspects of his business. It has to get hectic with cameras in your face 24-7.

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:28am
post #27 of 93

Hmmmm,Mary Alice, if you ARE reading this, where can we get WE love Geoff shirts? sounds like he has tons of fans.

maybe CC can sponsor Geoff shirts?

Sally

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:49am
post #28 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strazle

Unfortunately, we are human. We do have emotions and sometimes....we wear them on our sleeves. I am one of those people. As much as I know this, it is hard to "put on a happy face" if I am not having a good day. Let's hope Duff was just having a bad day.

I think his show helps all of us because it is showing the general public what cake decorating is all about. Not just slapping some icing on some cake.

So, I hope he was just having a bad day because I admire him for giving up his personal space and exposing the aspects of his business. It has to get hectic with cameras in your face 24-7.

I second this post. HEAR HEAR!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

As for those of you who don't think Duff does cakes, just look at how he has to manage his time now. Between TV, media spots, bridal shows, chartity events, not to mention managing a shop and making deliveries, it's no wonder he now surrounds himself with talented individuals to do most of the cakes. After spending so many tough years working hard to build his business, I would too.

That being said, I don't condone rude behavior no matter how much of a celebrity you are. BUT - I also would bet he was trying to be funny (like someone else said) and had no intent to be offensive or rude. Just think about how inundated he must have been at the bridal show. Perhaps he didn't have a moment to check his tone before the words were out?

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:53am
post #29 of 93

Aww.. I'm sorry to hear this. I really hope he was having a bad day, but I agree, that's no excuse. Even if he misunderstood what you were saying, he should have still been polite. For all he knew you were a multi billionaire and going to order 20 cakes for a big event in 2 years, and paying ten thousand a cake! haha Yeah, I know.. would never happen, but you just never know... icon_wink.gif

Maybe it's a Food Network thing. I had a similar experience with Rachael Ray. She's not very pleasant in person either. Unless you're a child. She's very friendly to the children, but basically ignores the adults. I had her sign a few books. I had bought three of them, and I asked if she wouldn't mind to please put Merry Christmas on two of them, because they were for my mom and sister. They were huge fans, and I was getting the books signed as a Christmas present, since they both live in Ohio, and she was down here signing. She flat out refused. She said, I will just put this instead.. and I was like, but it's a Christmas present and I just want Merry Christmas on it.. She just shrugged, wrote what she wanted, handed them back, then turned her head and started talking to someone else. She never made eye contact with me. Not once. She didn't say Thank you for buying 3 books, or waiting 2 hours to get them signed, nothing. So I left, very heartbroken.

I'm glad my mom and sister liked their books, but I wasn't as happy when I gave them their gifts, as I had wanted to be.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I was just wondering if maybe Food Network keeps their people SO busy, they don't have time to enjoy what they've made for themselves. I really hope Duff didn't mean to come across the way he did. I'm told constantly I sound hateful when I'm not meaning to be. Maybe he has that same type of tone to his voice?!

I hope one of the others gets to do your cake. I can't wait to see a picture, and hear about the taste!! icon_smile.gif

Take care,

Holly

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:07am
post #30 of 93

just to play a little devil's advocate here, I think we should remember there are two sides to every story and we only heard one. How 'bout maybe we not assume that everything we are told is 100% percent video tape accurate and then jump all over the person who hasn't had an opportunity to give a different point of view. Just sayin'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%