Magic Line Versus Wilton Pans

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 3:00am by lanie23

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 21

I'm about to buy a 12 x 18 sheet cake pan. The Wilton is cheaper, but I know the Magic Line pans are really nice. Do you think it is worth paying extra money? Is there that big of a difference? I noticed the Magic Line seems to have really sharp corners.

20 replies
lilsomethinsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsomethinsweet Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 21

Magic Line! Magic Line!! Magic Line!!!

I have not bought a Wilton pan since I tried Magic Line!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 21

The Wilton Performance sheet cakes pans don't have square corners. icon_sad.gif

However, at their tent sale I was able to pick up two Decorator Preferred 11x15x2's - and they do have square corners. icon_smile.gif

The Performance pans are stackable, the Decorator Preferred don't, but they are so much nicer.

Don't know why Hobby Lobby doesn't carry the Decorator Preferred line....

Guess it really depends on how much use the pans will see. Magic Line is an excellent brand, but I only do cakes for family and friends.... And the Wilton Decorator Preferred (at 1/2 off) allows me to buy multiples of the pans I use the most.

Decorator Preferred Sheet Pans:

http://tinyurl.com/2bj63l

HTH

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 21

There are two brands I use. Magic Line and Fat Daddios, I have 12 x 18, 12 x 15, 9 x 13, rounds and some squares in Magic line. In Fat Daddios I got the odd sizes that Magic line might carry but I haven't found which were the 7 x 10 and 8 x 12. Both are very good heat conductors, heavier more durable metals. Both have square corners although more so in Magic Line then Fat daddios, I just received a 8 x 12 in Fat Daddios and it's sides aren't AS square as ML's. I was just tired of trying to make my not so square lines square with wilton lol.

HTH's

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:27am
post #5 of 21

What is the advantage of square cornered pans? I have heard it mentioned before that some of Wilton's pans are rounded. What does that matter? Want to learn all I can. icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Susie

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 21

I have both, Magic Line and Wilton's Decorator Preferred square/retangular pans. In fact, my 12 x 18 is a Wilton. Honestly (and this will probably get me shot here), I have found no real difference, baking, releasing, squareness of the corners between the two brands.

Now, with that said, I would never buy the Performance pans, for the reasons JanH mentioned. I looked at that very same pan in Michael's and I didn't like the rounded corners, the sloped sides and the (what I assume to be) strengthening mark in the bottom of the pan.

Susie, for me, the sharp corners and straight sides make for a more professional looking finished cake...but like I said, that is just me.

Toni Ann

susies1955 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2wheels

Susie, for me, the sharp corners and straight sides make for a more professional looking finished cake...but like I said, that is just me.
Toni Ann

Toni Ann,
Ok I understand now. I guess being a hobbyist it doesn't really matter then for me. icon_smile.gif
Thanks,
Susie

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 21

Magic Line, baby. Invest in good tools and you'll never be sorry. The Magic Line pans are heavier so they bake more evenly.

Now everyone repeat after me, "Wilton = crap."

susies1955 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 21

Leahs,
I already bought WILTON and have them set aside for my Christmas. I know you think they are crap I've seen you write that many times. I would guess some like them though so I'll use W-Crap. icon_smile.gif
Susie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

, baby. Invest in good tools and you'll never be sorry. The pans are heavier so they bake more evenly.

Now everyone repeat after me, "Wilton = crap."

Abso-freaking-lutely agree!!

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 21

magic line is 10 million times better. you asked which was better and if thye are worth the money.... "Abso-freaking-lutely" as indydebi has said.

Now do you want quality or do you just need a pan? Some will use Wilton religiously(and thats fine) but if you really want your answer...magic line does bake more evenly(at least i think so).

I have the wilton 12x18x2 and the magic line 12x18x3. i have not even taken the wilton one out of the bottom of the storage box all the pans are in. The magic line has its own spot on the shelf.

hope that helps.

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 21

I agree that the Magic Line pans do cook more evenly and give you such nice corners and edges. Yes, they are more expensive but they are worth it. They will last forever. It's an investment that is well worth it! Love them!!!!!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:02pm
post #13 of 21

Get the Magic Line pans. I've just started decorating cakes recently myself and was lucky enought that my mom still had all of her pans from the '70s stored in the basement with which I could use. But after trying to ice a 2 layer sheet cake with sloping sides, plus the hassle of the baking strips (never, ever could remember to soak them BEFORE I needed them), the flower nail, yadayadayada . . . I bought my first Magic Line on eBay (which is where I have bought all of mine for great prices). I now own 10 Magic Line pans - and hope to own the round Magic Lines in the future and then be able to give mom all of her old pans back!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 21

I have a few Wilton pans & few Magic Line pans. After buying Magic Line, I am now trying to replace all of my Wilton pans (what few I have).

I love the Magic Line pans. I worry all the time about putting dents in my Wilton pans, but I don't have that worry when it comes to my Magic Line.

I also agree with swingme83, I feel that the Magic Line pans bake more evenly.
The price of the Magic Line did shy me away at first, but the thought of you get what you pay for, out weight the price and I am now happy to pay more for IMHO the better pan.

God Bless,
Sharon

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 21

I tried a Majic Line after buying a few Wilton. I love them but have also bought some from place called Lloyd's Industries online www.lloydpans.com and they are every bit as good as ML but cheaper and they get them to me very fast with reasonable shipping charges.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 21

I am a Lloyd's pans fan too - soon I am going to need an intervention before I run out of room in my house for all their pans.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 21

I have to say this....I don't really think that Magic Line pans are expensive at all....if you think about it...with Magic Line I don't have to use the strips ($$$$) and I don't have to use nails ($$$$) And I don't have to bake over, because the pan conducts the heat so evenly that they just don't mess up.

My 12 x 18 2" pan was 28.00
My 12 x 15 3" pan was 34.00
Like others have said they don't warp, dent or anything else. With that said they ARE harder to clean, I have made a small tool to clean the straight edges inside the pan, but what a small price to pay for their great quality icon_biggrin.gif

Don't ever drop one on your toe OR 3 all at the same time!! Broke mine!!!! icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif :cry*

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:21am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Don't ever drop one on your toe OR 3 all at the same time!! Broke mine!!!! icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif :cry*

I'm sorry!! Ouch!! icon_cry.gif

thanks for letting us know on the $$ for these pans. Geez, I've dropped $35 bucks on a blouse that only gets worn only a few times a season... Pans? I keep those babies for-evah!!!! icon_lol.gif I'm still finding pans I purchased 30 years ago & thought were long gone!!

wgoat5 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:07am
post #19 of 21

It's all nice and healed now but OUCH and I believe if you drop it with the lip hitting your foot you'd get a good size gash icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

I know I love my Magic Line pans also. Mom came over one time and went to grab a pan just to put the bbq on ...I about had a cow.....don't downgrade my ML pans to getting bbq off the grill!!! LOL

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:36pm
post #20 of 21

Since Lloyd's pans are under $29 for a 12X18X3 and made of 14ga aluminum with straight sides and square corners, I'll stick with them. Heck they may even be the makers of the magic line pans. They claim they make pans for a lot of other companies who then stamp their name of the Lloyd pans.

lanie23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanie23 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:00am
post #21 of 21

I just started taking a cake decorating course, and I'm looking to buy some Magic Line pans. I live in Vancouver, BC, and there appears to be limited suppliers of decorating supplies. I am planning to go down to Seattle for the weekend soon, and wondered if there were any stores in Seattle, or on the way that sell Magic Line? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%