Using Wires In Cakes

Decorating By kathybenitez Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 12:59am by Karen421

kathybenitez Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 10

How do I do wires in cakes? You know with bugs or balls hanging off them. I think it looks so whimsical and would love to try to do this. I would appreciate any help.

9 replies
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry I haven't done this but the ? has been asked several times before. Maybe you can do a search?
Duff from Charm City cakes does it and that's how many have asked about it.

JoAnnB Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 10

I find it works best to put the wire into a straw in the cake. Cut the straw to a length and insert it into the cake, then the wires can go directly into the straw. If the object handing on the wire is heavy, the straw will help prevent it from tipping and tearing the cake.

You can also wrap the wire in florist tape and insert it directly into the cake, but I would be careful that the object isn't very heavy.

nefgaby Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 10

Hi, I use wire gauge #18 and just attach the fondant or gumpaste decs at the end, now, no insert on the cake, I push in a straw and insert the wires on the straw (to keep in place), if you see in my photos, the brown and blue cake, that is what I did. HTH.

tiggy2 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 10

I haven't done it yet but I'm doing one next month and I'm going to use coffee stirrers to insert the wires into. They aren't near as big as straws therefore will make a much smaller hole in the cake.

tiptop57 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 10

If I have many items coming out of the middle of the very top I use a posy pick you can pick them up at Michaels in the floral department. After arranging the wires I fill the pick up with frosting.

I match the strength of the wire to the size of the item I want to hang. The lower the gauge the stronger the wire.

If the item is flat such as a star, I feed it onto the wire with out looking at it, using my fingers to guide it. If I look at it the it more times then not it will come out one side or another of the fondant. (Learned that little trick on a Food Network Cake Challenge.) HTH

Lemonydoodles Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 10

I have used the wires and inserted them into a cake w/ coffee stirrers..........I am on a mission to find a food safe wire as I hate having to put the straws in the just irks me & looks tacky to me when the cake is being cut with all these straws in it.....I have also heard of people using cling wrap and wrapping it around the wire & then inserting it into the cake. Good luck icon_smile.gif

Ladivacrj Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 10

I the number 3 cake I just did in my photos, I wrapped the wire in curly ribbon and stuck them into the cake. My items were not heavy though that were on the other end.

verybusygirl Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #9 of 10

I made a cake this weekend using the wires from Michaels that Duff advertises. I did put them in a straw in the middle of the cake, but the weight of the object on the end caused the wires to all swing together. Any ideas to keep this from happening? If they weren't all together in one straw, they wanted to pull through the cake. Any help would be appreciated.

Karen421 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #10 of 10

I like the coffee stirrers myself, but I have read that some people also dip the wires in chocolate. I think this thread covers several different ways you can do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%