Recipe Exchange!!

Lounge By Teekakes Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 3:23am by BeckySue

Teekakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 62

Recently I received an email invitation to participate in a Recipe Exchange and thought with the holidays coming up soon that a Recipe Exchange would be fun to do here at Cake Central. Post one of your favorite recipes and see what other great recipes other members will post for you to add to your recipe collections!
ALL TYPES OF RECIPES WELCOME! It does not have to be cakes or cookies.

For starters here is mine;

I hope you enjoy it as it is a wonderfully delicious cake! My mother made this cake for years for our family and we are still loving it!! icon_smile.gif

Fruit Cocktail Cake

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsps soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 can fruit cocktail, do not drain. You will add juice and all.

Brown Sugar, 1/2 cup, more or less to your likeing
Pecan pieces 1/2 cup, more or less to your desire

Mix all ingredients together. Put ina 9 x 13 prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees until done. Check for doneness at 40 minutes and bake until toothpick comes clean. A little crumb is normal with this cake as it is very moist. Remove cake from oven and immediatly sprinkle with desired amount of brown sugar and pecan pieces.

For icing;

In a small saucepan melt 1 stick butter, 1 cup sugar and 2/3 cup of milnot or other canned evaporated milk. Stirring constantly bring to a rolling boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
There are two ways to serve the cake;
1. Remove cake from oven, top with brown sugar and pecan pieces then poke holes all over the top of the cake going all the way through it. Pour warm icing over cake.
2. Store icing in airtight container in fridge. Heat in microwave until warm and drizzle over slice of cake to serve.
This is my favorite way to serve the cake because it looks nice and a bit more professional if I have company.
If it is just me and my husband I usually do method number 1 for convenience sake.
This cake is fabulous served warm!

61 replies
OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 62

I think this is a great thing to do! I love sharing recipes! For my first submission I'd like to share an appitizer recipe...

Creamy Chip Beef Roll Ups

1 package chipped beef (in the pre-packaged meat/cheese/pepperoni section of the store NOT THE FROZEN CREAMED CHIPPED BEEF)
1 package Cream cheese - NON flavored

In a small bowl mix by hand, the cream cheese until soft and smooth.

Lay out the beef strips so they don't over lap and so that the widest end is at the bottom (one end is always wider then the other icon_wink.gif)

With a spoon, drop small spoonfulls of the cream cheese on the chip beef and carefully/gently smooth it all over from end to end.

Carefully roll them from the bottom (widest part) to the top, sticking it with a toothpick to hold it together and place in the fridge until ready to serve.

Makes a great appetizer or anytime snack, would also go great with some Ritz brand crackers icon_wink.gif

Katie-Bug Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 62

Okay, I have two that I want to share.

One is Chicken Taco Soup, also very good very hamburger meat, and super easy!! Can serve it with chips, sour cream, green onions, and cheese. Always goes over very good!

Shredded Cooked Chicken Breast  3-4 cups
Taco Seasoning      1 pkg.
Dry Ranch Dressing      1 pkg.
Black Beans, rinsed      2
Pinto Beans      1
Whole Kernel Corn      1
Creamed Corn      1
Rotel tomatoes      2
Regular Diced Tomatoes    1

Mix together all ingredients, put in crock pot. Cook for 3-4 hours. May need to add chicken broth to thin.

Okay, here is number two. It is great to have in the summer, the veggies are fresh out of the garden and it's refreshing!

Marinated Cucumbers

Cucumbers, thinly sliced     3
Squash  , thinly sliced    3  
Italian dressing mix      1 ½ envelopes
Vinegar        2T
Water       ½ cup
Sugar        TT

I can't wait to see everyone's recipes! I love new recipes!! I might even post some more a little later! Enjoy!

michellenj Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 62

Super Delicious Peanut Butter Pie

1 Store Boought Oreo Pie Crust
1 8 oz. brick cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk
1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
3 cups Extra Creamy Cool Whip, thawed, plus more for garnish
semisweet chocolate shavings, unsalted peanuts for garnish

In mixer with paddle attachment, combine cream cheese, peanut butter, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until smooth. Add confectioner's sugar, mix until creamy. With Rubber spatula, gently fold in Cool Whip. Pour into Oreo shell. Mound remaining Cool Whip onto pie, and garnish with chocolate shavings and peanuts. Refrigerate until serving. It's good frozen, too!

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 62

Oh my Michelle that sounds so delicious!!!! I must try that one soon!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Keep those recipes comin' everyone! I think this would make for a great thread! We could print them out page by page everytime it goes to the next page print the previous! icon_biggrin.gif and we could make a great book! icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 62

Ohmygoodies-yes, it is sooo good. Make it, then come visit me on one of the "I can't lose weight" threads. icon_lol.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 62

lol yeah I'm stuck there too icon_sad.gif but I just got a job - go for training tomorrow - so maybe that'll help me lose some lmao

jules06 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #8 of 62

Here's one of my favorites : TANGY LEMON SQUARES

125 gram butter
1/4 cup icing sugar mixture
1 1/4 cups plain flour
3 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
2 tspns grated lemon rind
1/2 cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to mod.( 180 c ).Grease 23 cm square slab pan,cover base with baking paper & extend over sides.
Beat butter & icing sugar in small bowl until smooth.Stir in 1 cup of flour.
Press mixture evenly over base of pan,bake in oven for 15 min.or until browned lightly.
Place eggs,caster sugar,remaining flour,rind & juice in a bowl & whisk until combined. Pour over prepared base, bake for further 20 min. or until mixture is firm.
Let cool in pan on wire rack.Slice into pieces.
Yummy !!!

Teekakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:05am
post #9 of 62

Wow! Got some good recipes coming in and I am going to start printing out! I have another really good recipe called Spicey Chicken Spaghetti that I think you guys would really like and will post it later tonight or tomorrow morning. icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #10 of 62

This is turning out to be great!!! Let's get everyone involved!!! PM your friends!!! icon_wink.gif Get them in here!! icon_wink.gif

Teekakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:23am
post #11 of 62

Becky, can you get the "Sweet Lebanon Bologna" from the deli's where you live? My SIL is from Philly and brought me some of that wonderful stuff. She told me to spread cream cheese on it like your recipes says to do, roll it up and enjoy! My gosh! My tastebuds were in heaven until it was all gone and where I live you can not get it for anything. I have called deli's, distributors and all kinds of grocery stores all over the Houston area and no one can get it in. It is certainly a native food of the PA area. I am thinking maybe it could be shipped?

OhMyGoodies Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:37am
post #12 of 62

I'm not sure if I can get it Lea, I've never seen it or looked for it or even heard of it lol. But I'll tell ya what when I go shoppin next time I'll check and if they have it I'll get the price for ya and see about maybe shippin ya some over night in a cooler with some ice packs icon_wink.gif

adamswife Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 62

Perfect for special occations such as Thanksgiving or christmas day, I want to share this one:

PATE IN FILO CUPS (makes about 24)

3-6 fresh or defrosted sheets filo pastry
3 tablespoons butter, melted
8 oz canned foie gras or other fine liver paté, at room temperature
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2-3 tablespoons cognac or brandy (optional)
chopped pistachios, to garnish

- Preheat oven at 400ºF. Grease a muffin pan. Stack the filo sheets on a work surface and cut into 2½ inch squares. Cover with a damp towel to prevent the pastry from drying out.
-Place one square on a work surface and brush lightly with melted butter, both sides. Butter a second square and place it over the first at an angle. Butter a thrid, and place at a different angle over the first two.
-Press the pastry layers into the muffin pan. Continue with the remaining pastry, until all the cups are filled.
-Bake for 4-6 mins, until crisp and golden. Cool inthe pan for 5 mins. Carefully remove each filo to a wire rack and cool.
-In a small bowl, beat the paté with the butter until well blended. Add the cognac or brandy to taste, if using. Spoon into a piping bag fitting with a med star tip and pipe a swirl into each cup. Sprinkle with pistachios.

Enjoy it! icon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:47pm
post #14 of 62

Adamswife, that sounds delicious ! I love pate icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:59pm
post #15 of 62

Thanks Becky! Hopefully if you do find it, it won't be cost prohibitive to have it shipped. Man that stuff is so good!

michellenj Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:29pm
post #16 of 62

Lebanon bologna is all over the place where I live, in PA Dutch country. I've always been afraid to try it.

OhMyGoodies Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:57pm
post #17 of 62

MORE RECIPES PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teekakes Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:15pm
post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Lebanon bologna is all over the place where I live, in PA Dutch country. I've always been afraid to try it.

OMG!! I wish I had it so close to me because it would be in the fridge at all times! icon_lol.gif
May I ask why you have been afraid to try it?? icon_confused.gif Is there something I don't know about how it is made, or what it is made of? Sure hope I have been eating something reaaaally bad!! Have I?? icon_surprised.gif

pottedmeatchunks Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 8:23pm
post #19 of 62

well this is a super duper easy recipe but i always get asked for it at thanksgiving so here is my addition:

JIFFY CORN CASSEROLE
1 can whole kernel corn (juice, too)
1 can cream style corn
1 c. sour cream
1/4 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. melted butter
1 (8 oz.) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
Mix together adding muffin mix last. Bake in large casserole or 9x13 pan at 350 degrees 50-60 minutes until set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

It doesnt rise, and it is pretty sweet. VERY yummy thumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 8:45pm
post #20 of 62

Haven't seen the Jiffy Corn Casserole but my family loves corn dishes so will have to give this one a try! The ingredient list looks like it would be good!

irisinbloom Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 11:09pm
post #21 of 62

Here's one that is really yummyicon_smile.gif

Spice Cupcakes

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups water
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
FROSTING:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup half-and-half cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
Coarsely chopped walnuts, optional

DIRECTIONS:
In a large saucepan, bring water and raisins to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside (do not drain).
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and raisins. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with 1/3 cup batter each. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack.
For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir until smooth. Stir in butter and vanilla. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes; top with nuts if desired. Yield: 14 cupcakes

TheDomesticDiva Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #22 of 62

Here's a dinner recipe that my family really enjoys, including my 3-year-old and 16-month-old sons! I like this one, because it's easy and tasty, and you can pretty much alter it however you want, adding things you like, and taking out things you dont!

Hot Chicken Casserole

3 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup mayo
1 can waterchestnuts, chopped
1 cup diced celery
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup almonds
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 package of Ritz crackers, crushed
3/4 stick of margarine
2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese

Blend soup, mayo, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add other ingredients.
Place mixture in a buttered casserole. Mix Ritz crackers, margarine and
cheese together and sprinkle on top. Bake for 30-45 minutes, uncovered at 350 degrees F.

~Carrie

penguinprincess Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:56pm
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDZA

Here's a dinner recipe that my family really enjoys, including my 3-year-old and 16-month-old sons! I like this one, because it's easy and tasty, and you can pretty much alter it however you want, adding things you like, and taking out things you dont!

Hot Chicken Casserole

3 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup mayo
1 can waterchestnuts, chopped
1 cup diced celery
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup almonds
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 package of Ritz crackers, crushed
3/4 stick of margarine
2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese

Blend soup, mayo, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add other ingredients.
Place mixture in a buttered casserole. Mix Ritz crackers, margarine and
cheese together and sprinkle on top. Bake for 30-45 minutes, uncovered at 350 degrees F.

~Carrie

Ohh- I am going to try this tonight!! Thank you!

OhMyGoodies Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #24 of 62

That sounds so yummy Carrie!

Keep 'em comin everyone! I'm still saving all the recipes posted here today icon_biggrin.gif can't wait for more to be added!!!!

TheDomesticDiva Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm
post #25 of 62

This is my family's favorite soup! It is SO good! You could add in more veggies, according to your family's taste! It is really easy--the only part that is a pain is getting the lumps out of the roux, but making sure the milk is hot when you add it helps a lot with that!

Potato & Ham Soup

4 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into cubes
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 cup of diced ham (I just get 1/2 inch slab cut from deli)
3 1/4 cups water
1 can of chicken broth
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

5 tablespoons butter or margarine
5 tablespoons flour
2 cups hot milk
1 cup of cheese

Combine water, chicken broth, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, (and any other favorite herbs you may have!) in a large stockpot. Toss in the potatoes, ham and onion, and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

In a saucepan or deep skillet, melt 5 tablespoons of butter on low heat. Meanwhile, heat 2 cups of milk in the microwave. Once the butter has melted, whisk in flour with a fork--stir quickly until thick and pastelike. Be sure not to burn the roux! Slowly stir in the milk. Be sure to keep whisking to get the lumps out, it may take a while. Once the lumps are out, keep stirring til thick, about 4-5 minutes. Add in a couple handfuls of your favorite cheese, stir until melted.

Add the milk mixture in with the potatoes. Stir to incorporate, and heat for 5 more minutes. Serve with good bread!!

~Carrie

TheDomesticDiva Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:15pm
post #26 of 62

My version of Chimichangas: (...I know it would help if I had exact measurements for things like the meat and tortillas, but I usually just use leftover pulled pork for these, and just fill the tortillas until I run out. I'd say I usually use about 2-3 cups of shredded pork and it makes a dozen or more!) My husband loves these, and he isn't usually a fan of Mexican-style. They are pretty spicy, but I'm sure you could cut back the chili powder to adjust if you wanted to.

Chimichangas:

2-3 cups of cooked shredded pork
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup cheese
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
12 tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large deep skillet, heat pork, onion, and bell pepper. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, oregano, pepper, salt, garlic powder, and chili powder. Add the sour cream mixture to the meat. Combine well. Then add the cheese with the meat mixture. Stir to combine. Will be thick!

Fill each tortilla with a couple tablespoons of meat mixture. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Arrage in baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. (If you like fried chimichangas, you can fry them instead! I just find baking them less messy!)

Serve with red or green sauce.

~Carrie

OhMyGoodies Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:20pm
post #27 of 62

Sounds great Carrie! I added the first two... I didn't add the second one (to my word document file that I'll print when this thread dies lol), we don't care too much for hot and spicy foods icon_sad.gif I can't handle them since my gal bladder surgery so we stay clear of that stuff, however it does sound delicious!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

penguinprincess Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #28 of 62

You guys are making me soo hungry!! What a great idea for a thread!!

irisinbloom Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:33pm
post #29 of 62

Does anyone have a GOOD recipe for Chicken Noodle soupicon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:01am
post #30 of 62

My best friend always makes it by eye... so there are no real measurements going on...

One whole roasting chicken, cooked and picked, chilled and cubed.
2-8 carrots depending on how big and how much soup making chunked to match chicken chunks
2-8 celery stalks chunked as above
1 box frozen peas (added near the end of the cooking)
1 box frozen corn (added near the end)
1 large can of potatoes - cubed/chunked to same size as chicken
one medium onion cut up
salt
pepper
oregano
parsley flakes
garlic or garlic salt/powder
chicken seasoning (powder)
one large box egg noddles or your favorite noddles
and finally store bought chicken stock

She prepares all her's in the morning and puts it in a crock pot and lets it go all day... it's on of those soups you can add or remove anything you want icon_wink.gif

You could add a little something to make it thicker if you desire...

Paula made a killer chicken noodle soup the other day (Paula's Home Cookin') I'm sure you can find it on food networks site if you'd rather use that one... she didn't chunk her chicken she just pulled it apart and had HUGE pieces of chicken that you'd need to eat the soup with a knife and spoon icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%