lishajijo Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:34pm
post #1 of

Has anyone tried shipping cakes? On of my friends who live 3 hrs away from us really likes my cakes and have been asking me if i could ship any cakes..
ANy ideas? suggestions? also with packaging if i'm using buttercream frosting..

Lisha

5 replies
knoxcop1 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:41pm
post #2 of

I've shipped cakes.

Just place the whole cake in your freezer. Let it get rock hard, then take it out and wrap QUICKLY in parchment. Then in plastic wrap, very tightly.

Place the rock-hard frozen cake into a styrofoam cooler with several layers of wadded up parchment (it's foodsafe--that's why I use it) between the cake, and place a hunk of dry ice on the top. (You can get it at a good grocery store in your area. Pre-wrapped and safe to handle.)

Wrap and tape the cooler, and place a shipping label on it. You can ship it via overnight with USPS, or UPS.

It's costly to do this, though. I end up charging people $50 for shipping and handling when I do this.

They arrive in frozen condition, just perfect like this. I've done it like 5 times, with buttercream cakes and cheesecakes, too.

I'd be interested in hearing of other peoples' shipping instructions as well! thumbs_up.gif

--Knox--

lishajijo Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of

wow thats much complicated than i thought..But thanks for the info..

Lisha

7yyrt Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:20pm
post #4 of

A picture might help: icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-36175.html

chelleb1974 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:24pm
post #5 of

If you search the forums for 'success in the mail' you will find another thread where a CC member has shipped fondant covered cakes successfully. I am going to try shipping two cakes out before Christmas - one to my friend and one to my brother. They are both a surprise, so I can't wait to find out the condition they arrive in. I would be more hesitant if I were getting paid for these - but they are gifts.

~Chelle

tiptop57 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:25pm
post #6 of

Yes, I have a suggestion......

Quote:
Quote:

On of my friends who live 3 hrs away from us really likes my cakes

Drive half way 1-1/2 hours.

Have your friend meet you at the half way point and get together for coffee and visit! icon_lol.gif

Nice excuse to catch-up....... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%