Need To Make Spool Of Thread For The Top Of My Quilt

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 25 Sep 2007 , 8:18am by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 7

cakes and have no idea how to make the spool OR the thread. The cake itself isn't due until Sunday, I want these to have enough time to dry. I am using gp but I don't know whether I should make the spool hollow (try to) OR make it by making a cylinder then putting 2 discs on it. 1 on bottom and one on top. But then here is the catch, cause the spool itself isn't that difficult I dont think....How to make it look like it is full of thread?????? I tried using my extruder and that really doesn't look like it will be thin enough to look believable (sp). So what are your thoughts?

I have made the thimbles and they look ok...I have made the needles and I guess they are ok...but the spool and thread is what I need help on icon_smile.gif

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Christi

6 replies
cakesbyjackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjackie Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

Keeping in mind I haven't done this, but how about covering the spool in the thread color and then making tiny slices in the thread color to resemble thread? Does that make any sense?

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:11am
post #3 of 7

I have made a small spool of thread on my santa's workshop table, and all I did was a cylinder of paste, I used 2 small pieces of wood that was a wee bit smaller and rolled it between them, to give them a lip each end, let it dry, i think I inserted a knitters cable needle to hold it once dry so I could turn it while piping royal around it for the thread from top to bottom. hope that helps you out

wgoat5 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:12am
post #4 of 7

It does make sense ...OHHHHHHH Ok....what about if I wrapped the "spool" with a piece of colored gp and instead of using the exacto knife or something else to make the slices....USE A REAL THREAD icon_biggrin.gif

Does that sound ok Jackie?

icon_biggrin.gif

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:15am
post #5 of 7

Do you have a pasta machine? Gumpaste "Angel Hair" could be wrapped around for thread. Or, use royal icing with a #1 tip? Just some ideas....Sounds like a very interesting cake! good luck!

cakesbyjackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjackie Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:18am
post #6 of 7

Let me try this again...my internet is being wacky tonight.
Sounds like your plan will work great! Make sure to post pics!!!

wgoat5 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:18am
post #7 of 7

thank you Roz, Jackie and peeps for helping me icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%