Should I Enter Cake Decorating Contest?!? I Am Only 14!

Decorating By Daisys_Cakes Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 11:52am by apclassicwed

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 46

Hi!

I am 14 years old and I found out from some other CCer's that there is a cake decorating contest happening this weekend about 15 min. away from where I live. My question is do you guys think that any of my cakes are good enough to win or good enough that I should enter in the 13-17 age catergory? I am posting the links to all the cakes I have done this year.

Thanks for looking! thumbs_up.gif
Deborah

My birthday cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_712673.html

Nephews 1st b-day cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_712643.html

Wilton 2 finale cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_771903.html

Brothers 18th b-day cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_771923.html

4th of July cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_771953.html

I made this at a friends house and I did not have any equiptment with me, so this one is not very impressive
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_790913.html

Cake walk cake for homeshool picnic
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1009333.html

45 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 46

Yes, you absolutely should. Even if you place last (and I know you won't!!!), you will gain very valuable knowledge and experience just going thru the process and the competition.

Your icing looks smooth and you have good form on the flowers.

Do it to it and keep us posted!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 46

YES.....OF COURSE.......YOU HAVE TALENT.....YOU CAN'T WIN IF YOU DON'T PARTICIPATE....

AND SHOULD YOU NOT.... LOOK AT ALL THE EXPERIENCE AND FUN YOU WILL HAVE HAD..... GO FOR IT...

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 46

YES, YES, YES!!!!! you should enter. I looked at your cakes and you did a fantastic job on them. As my #2 son says "you can't hit the ball if you don't swing". So yes you should enter. Please let us know how you did. Good luck.

loriann40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriann40 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 46

I think your cakes look great - you definitely should enter. I can't believe how smooth your icing is. Good luck!

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:02am
post #6 of 46

Yes!!! You should enter the contest! If nothing else, it will give you more practice and the opportunity to meet some other teens like you who love cake decorating. Maybe you could make some new friends! And, maybe you could WIN!!!! Best of luck with everything. I think it is really great that you are so talented already. Keep up the good work!

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:02am
post #7 of 46

Of course you should enter! It's a great experience and it gets your foot into the door for other opportunities! I see that you made a cake for a homeschooling function - we also homeschool and I've seen many fellow homeschooling children enter these types of contests and do very well! You go, girl!!!

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:02am
post #8 of 46

I agree with eceryone else. I think you should enter. Your cakes are very good. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:04am
post #9 of 46

Just look at the comments your cakes have recievedicon_smile.gif
Of course you *should* enter the contest.
Don't even think about winning......just do *THE very BEST you can*; observe any & all the rules for the contest; make your work clean, well and pretty. Think of it as a chance to practice and show off icon_smile.gif

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:05am
post #10 of 46

You should definitely enter the contest, what you have done so far is very good and this will give you more experience and exposure to contests. You will also see how well the other contestants cakes look like and can compare the finished cakes and get ideas for future efforts.

Daisys_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:18am
post #11 of 46

Thanks guys for the encouragement! I am going to ask my dad as soon as he gets off the phone and then I will call the lady in charge (I just looked more carefully at the entry form and noticed that the deadline was the 15th but hopefully she will make an exeption for me).

Thanks!
Deborah

BTW about all those comments. I posted them in a undernoticed cakes forum (each cake only had one comment at the time) so that is reason I have all those comments!

Daisys_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:48am
post #12 of 46

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She let me in! I am so exited! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do for a cake? I really have no idea so I would love to hear what you guys think are my strengths.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif
Deborah

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:21am
post #13 of 46

Just read the thread and am THRILLED you entered and was accepted!!

As for what cake you should do__go for the top prize and do what you are best at whether it is flowers, bugs or whatever. Your doing a nice job getting your bc smooth and your cakes look very nice. Just pick out what you feel your strongest talent is and make that cake! chanting~~ MAKE THAT CAKE! MAKE THAT CAKE! icon_lol.gif

Looking foward to seeing what you come up with. icon_smile.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #14 of 46

I'm glad you entered the contest. Good luck!! As far as what cake you should do ~ is there a theme to the contest? Or maybe you could look in the contest rules to see what's required. Good luck again. Be sure you keep us posted.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:45am
post #15 of 46

Awesome, so glad you got in!! Your cakes are so cute, I think you could come up with something very pretty!

heyjude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjude Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:28am
post #16 of 46

Your cakes look awesome!

I'm only eighteen, and I've kind of been feeling like the minority. I feel so inexperienced compared to everyone else on here, haha.

Good luck in the contest! thumbs_up.gif

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:35am
post #17 of 46

I say a big YES!!! A tremendous job for a 14 year old!

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:45am
post #18 of 46

LOL I'm 30 something and only just started and no where near as great you younger ones. You guys rock....

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:09am
post #19 of 46

GO FOR IT!

Good luck!

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:22am
post #20 of 46

WOW-14-so impressive..Keep up the icon_cool.gif good work!

Nathalie1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nathalie1970 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:26am
post #21 of 46

Your cakes are great!!! Good luck on the contest!!!

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:32am
post #22 of 46

Your cakes are really good go for it and let us know how you get on. Have fun and good luck

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:34pm
post #23 of 46

I am so glad to hear that she let you enter the contest! I think that is an AWESOME opportunity! I'm 42 and I don't have enough confidence to enter anything! lol

Even if you don't place anything (which I can't see why you wouldn't!), you are still a winner in my book! What an honor just to enter!

As for the cake, I would do something pretty. You are really good at basketweave and your daisies are so perfect, so I would definately incorporate those. Are there any special events in your area during that time? If so, you can do something along those lines.

Daisys_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:10pm
post #24 of 46

I think I am definately going to do a basket weave and probably the rope border because the look nice together. I think I am going to do african violets and pansys for the flowers (I have about 30 pansys let over from course 2 because I made a double batch of RI) because even though I make really pretty daisys three out of the five cakes that I have done since Wilton 2 have had daisys on them so I want to do something different this time.

Deborah

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:34pm
post #25 of 46

you should!! and then I need you to talk my 14 year old daughter in to entering one here! Go for it!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 6:01pm
post #26 of 46

Spend some extra thought and time on how you present your cake at the show. Make sure the cake board is covered very nice...maybe trimmed with ribbon to match your cake. This will set it apart from the other cakes. Good Luck!!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 7:52pm
post #27 of 46

By all means go ahead! You have all the makings of a great decorator.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #28 of 46

Woo Hoo!!!! Good for you. Your cakes looks great.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #29 of 46

I may be a bit late but do not hesitate to enter any of your work - you do great cakes. It doesn't matter your age, it matters that you cake very well.

Congrats and icon_smile.gif Good luck! icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #30 of 46

Congratulations, your cake is wonderful. So when's your next competition? Are you hooked now? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%