Question About Fondant

Decorating By Scrappy Updated 30 Jul 2005 , 1:30am by antonia74

Scrappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrappy Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering how hard rolled fondant gets? Does it get hard like royal icing? I bought 5 pounds to put on a wedding cake I have been ask to make. I have never used it and now im reading lots of post about it tasting bad and getting to hard to cut the cake. I don't know if I want to use it or not. Can anyone anyone tell me anyrhing about it?
Thanks
Scrappy

4 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 5

I've never used purchased fondant--just homemade, but it doesn't get as hard as royal icing. It gets stiff, but I've never had a problem cutting it.
I use Colette Peters' recipe. It tastes very sugary, but not too bad. Kids like it. icon_smile.gif
I'm going to try the marshmallow fondant I've seen mentioned on this site for my daughter's birthday cake next week.

Mylene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylene Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 12:21am
post #3 of 5

Marshmallow fondant is really good and less expensive. I've tried the store bought fondant and they are not as good as homemade fondant.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 12:43am
post #4 of 5

I really like using the marshmallow fondant. It stays soft and is easily cut. I've found for those people who don't care for it, you can pull it off and just leave the buttercream underneath.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 1:30am
post #5 of 5

I've never used a purchased fondant that gets too hard to cut. The moisture of the cake keeps it pretty soft on the inside...though the outside exposed fondant can get a crust. (That's a GOOD thing though!)

I only do the fondant coating on my cakes up to 2 days before the wedding, never more than that, because I don't put them in the fridge after that point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%