Lustre Dust Sprays Grrrrrrrrrr

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:38am
post #1 of 9

Boy am I having a bad day. I pull out my brand new toys...Lustre dust sprays....gold didn't work (clogged) pearl didn't work (clogged), silver sprayed but barely! icon_mad.gif at 6.50 a piece it kinda pissed me off (sorry).

Anybody out there have the same problem? Did you get a refund or what?

Christi

8 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:13am
post #2 of 9

What brand?

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 9

Yes!! I have a can of gold right now that is clogged. It has happened to me a couple of times and I always take the can back to exchange. the owner of the shop I go to said that the mettallic sprays should be stored upside down so that the particles wont backup inside. The problem is that when they are shipped they arrive right side up.

Ive been using them for a couple of years and its probably happened 4 times. So dont be discouraged.

wgoat5 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 9:46am
post #4 of 9

Kory it is called Creative Color, it's in a white can with a black and white label.

nanette, I didn't know you were supposed to store then upside down icon_sad.gif . Although I have just got them. I was discourage because I needed them for my High School Musical Cake. I did end of painting the little details but still, I got them for convienience icon_sad.gif .

Is there a different brand other then Creative Color? I seen them in a cake store that I went to in Louisville the other day and didn't pick it up, I actually ordered it from Pastry Chef, so I emailed them last night. Surely they will make good on these.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 9

I have the same problem with my sprays. I used them for a graduation cake and planned to use them again but when I did they started clogging up!!! I'm sure I can't return them now but I have to figure out a way to unclog them. Hmmmm.... anyone know how to unclog aerosol sprays?? icon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 9

I don't know if this will work for these sprays, but turning a can of, say hairspray, spray starch--whatever, upside down and running the nozzle under hot water does the trick for them.

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 9

I haven't used these, but if the clogging is in the nozzle, then you should be able to pull it off and leave it in alcohol (or whatever the solvet is) overnight and slosh it around and it will unclog.

If it's inside the can, then you may be out of luck.

Heidi

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 9

wgoat5 if you were trying to cover an area or an object completely with a metallic finish then you did the right thing painting them. These sprays only add a luster of sparkle unless you use practically a whole can.
The overspray is wild. After you spray you will think Tinkerbell is sprinkling pixie dust around your kitchen. And you have to wait for each coat to dry before you spray again. The wait time isnt long but by the time your finished spraying and spraying you could have painted and been done. I think they are great for a finishing touch. If you need to spray a whole cake its best you color your frosting close to what you want it to be then spray it with the Luster Spray to highlight and add shimmer.

wgoat5 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 9

Laura I tried that icon_sad.gif to no avail it didn't work icon_sad.gif

We didn't soak the nozzle for very long (just an hour) but it didn't do anything either.

Nanette I was just wanting to spray some stars to give them a shimmer...then I was going to wait and spray the pearl on it. Both of them failed me LOL...You are right, painting or Preval is the way to go for now on and a HECK of a lot cheaper icon_biggrin.gif

Oh BTW I emailed the company, I still havent received anything from them via email, so I might just be SOL but these things need to be perfected before a lot of people waste their money on them icon_sad.gif

Thank you ALL for your responses icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%