Chocolate Wrap Around Or Chocolate 'plastic'

Decorating By peasacake Updated 10 Dec 2006 , 4:26am by peasacake

peasacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peasacake Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 7:04am
post #1 of 13

I want to create a cake that is wrapped in chocolate, but don't know where to begin. Not covered with chocolate fondant, but chocolate wrapped around the sides which extends upward and outward of the cake. Maybe similar to the cake on the front of "The Cake Bible". Will I need a marble slab or will I use a sort of mixture that can be rolled out as fondant is? Any suggestions?
I have the book "Spectacular Cakes" by Mich Turner, and she showcases a cake covered with choclate roses and fans made with what she terms "Chocolate Plastic" has anyone made this? It is very awesome...a wonderful book of beautiful cakes.

12 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 7:10am
post #2 of 13

look inside your book for the recipe...it should be there most books that feature a technique explain how to achieve the look.

If not, you can look in the back of the WILTON year book and use the recipe for the Candy clay...that's what is used.

The glucose keeps the chocolate malleable so you can wrap it around or make your roses.

echidna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
echidna Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 7:39am
post #3 of 13

Hi... I'm just beginner in this cake decorating, but I've tried that chocolate collar before, chocolate that wrap around the cake. I was just using compound chocolate, you can check the instruction in here :
http://www.cadbury.com.au/sites/cadbury/index.php?pageId=111

peasacake Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 13

Yes, I'll have to research the Cake Bible. but the Spectacular cakes doesn't show the technique of how to wrap it around the cake. However I do know she does uses the chocolate plastic to do so.
Thank you for the link echidna!

RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by peasacake

Yes, I'll have to research the Cake Bible. but the Spectacular cakes doesn't show the technique of how to wrap it around the cake. However I do know she does uses the chocolate plastic to do so.
Thank you for the link echidna!

oh, I'm so sorry that I didn't give you the instructions..lol

ok..what you need to do is after you make your chocolate plastic and let it rest over night, you can roll it out, just like fondant...

Measure your cake around and roll it out to those dimmentions and cut it as high as you like...you can do an up and down cut like a wave if you like.

I don't roll out a full pieces as sometimes it's hard to work with, I will do 4 equal parts..then you..cut your bottom as straight as you can...using what ever cuts for the top..

Then you place an edge on the cake with your straight bottom on the bottom edge of the cake and just, with your hands start to adhere the band to the iced cake...

then with the top over hang, you just gently push down on it, in several places more than others.

I haven't seen the cake you're talking about..if you want to scan it and sent it to me via pm I can give you step by step instructions...

HTH

sometimes people will roll out the chocolate clay onto a plastic roll for ease of handling.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 13

If you use the method where you spread the chocolate out on waxed paper I was told to use acsatate paper. It is stronger. I have also been told that mylar works really well. Both products can be found at art supply stores. Good luck!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by peasacake

I want to create a cake that is wrapped in chocolate, but don't know where to begin. Not covered with chocolate fondant, but chocolate wrapped around the sides which extends upward and outward of the cake. Maybe similar to the cake on the front of "The Cake Bible". Will I need a marble slab or will I use a sort of mixture that can be rolled out as fondant is? Any suggestions?
I have the book "Spectacular Cakes" by Mich Turner, and she showcases a cake covered with choclate roses and fans made with what she terms "Chocolate Plastic" has anyone made this? It is very awesome...a wonderful book of beautiful cakes.

Yeah definetly don't use choc fondant. I tried to make to same cake but with strawberries. Boy is it a sad cake. It's the ugly one in my pics. LOL
I love her book the cakes are gorgeous!

MYCHEFTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYCHEFTX Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:28am
post #8 of 13

YUP CHOCOLATE PLASTIC IS WHAT SHE USED . ITS EASY TO MAKE TOO. YOU CAN FIND IT ONLINE . IVE MADE IT BEFORE LOTS OF TIMES AND IT WORKS GREAT! JUST TYPE IN CHOCOLATE PLASTIC RECIPE AND IM SURE SOMETHING WILL POP UP. iT'S ALSO CALLED MODELING CHOCOLATE AND IF YOU DONT WANT TO MAKE IT YOU CAN BUY IT AT CAKEVISIONS.COM
GOOD LUCK thumbs_up.gif
CINDY

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:35am
post #9 of 13

Here's a recipe for white chocolate plastic:

www.chefjob.com/food/Forum1/HTML/000081.html

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:39am
post #10 of 13

Here is the recipe I use:

Chocolate plastic is 16 oz choc (I used semi or white), melted over double boiler. Then add 2/3 c light corn syrup, stir well, pour onto a sheet of plastic wrap & roll it up. Let set overnight, then knead & form desired items. I got the recipe from baking911.com. Very easy!

Good Luck! Can't wait to see pics!

peasacake Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 4:49am
post #11 of 13

WOW! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The cake is due next Wedenesday. I'm excited! Hope all goes well. I'll post pics!

RisqueBusiness Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:04am
post #12 of 13

or you can purchase it already made at www.beryls.com

I used to make it and pack it for her..!! lol

peasacake Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 4:26am
post #13 of 13

Well, I didn't do the wrap a round, but another cake as seen in the Spectacular Cakes book that uses chocolate plastic. I used her dark and white chocolate plastics. The dark worked great, the white not so great....it never firmed up so I had to play and find something that would make it work. Chocolate, especially good quality white chocolate, is not cheap to have a recipe that calls for 3# 14 oz. flop. The end result was beautiful though. Very happy! It will be posted it in my pictures. Thanks for all the advice and support!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%