Homemade Cake Plates

Decorating By LillyLou Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 7:06pm by peg818

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 2

I've got a question about homemade cake plates. I've got my father working on several cake plates where he uses his woodworking skills. One is a square oak one that he is staining and covering with several coats of polyurethane and the other is one that I designed where he is painting a round wooden base white and sealing it with polyurethane and using glass door knobs for the feet. Before he started working on them I questioned whether these plates would food-safe, knowing how people are so lawsuit oriented these days if something goes wrong and I want to avoid this. He seemed to think that they would be alright. I would never place a cake straight on the surface but would have it on a cake base or one of the heavier cardboard ones that Wilton sells.

My question is... do you think it's safe to use these cake plates provided I have the cake well separated from the plate? I appreciate any answers. I figure more brains thinking about this is better than my one.

1 reply
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 2

I'm sure they will be okay, but you will want to protect your investment with a cake board between the stand and the cake. So in all honesty the cake wouldn't be touching the board anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%