Isn't It Illegal.....??

Decorating By melissablack Updated 29 Jul 2005 , 8:07pm by cakeconfections

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 9

to portray someone else's cake photo as your own?? I was just browsing on that Jaque's Pastries site that someone posted on another thread, and I recognized a couple of his cakes that I just saw in a flier for a local bakery, they were advertising as though they made those cakes, is that legal??

8 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 9

It's definitely not right!

I found a local website advertising decorated cakes and it had cake pictures right out of the wilton books on it!

Debbie

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 9

Yeah, unless Jacque himself works at the bakery.... icon_confused.gif

jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 9

Maybe they just copied them?? Or was it the exact picture?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 9

I also saw a website that had pictures right out of the wilton yearbooks. I am thinking if someone ever said anything...the bakery would probably say they could make a cake just like it!!! Anyway...it seems kind of unethical to use other peoples photos like that...but I am not sure if it is illegal. icon_razz.gif
traci

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 9

It is illigal to take the photo of his cake an say it is yours. But If you take the photo and change it, to say...one flower is a different color, or flowers were digitaly cut out of the picture this is not illigal. Like if you go to some bakerys and ask them to copy a the logo from a tv show they will change the color of the image to avoid a law suite.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 9

You CAN re-create another decorator's cake but you can not use THEIR picture as your own for advertising or anything else. I don't think you are allowed to sell the cake either unless you have permission from the decorator.

Me & others put our names on our cake pics w/ paint. We put it right on the cake so noone can take our names off & put their name on it. We do this just for the purpose of someone stealing our cake ideas. If you have your name on the cake then it can't be cropped out of the pics.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 9

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the exact same picture, the colors and detailing are exactly the same. They will probably have a lot of dissapointed customers if they claim they can make cakes like that, 'cause if they really could, why not use their own pics??

icon_razz.gif

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 9

I am not sure how pictures work. But as far as recreating a cake, you can do that and sell it witout the original decorators permission. they only way you couuld is if the deisgn had a copyright on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%