Attaching Gumpaste Flowers To The Cake

Decorating By cakesoutsidethebox Updated 24 Nov 2006 , 12:50pm by lapazlady

cakesoutsidethebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoutsidethebox Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:06am
post #1 of 8

I went to a cake conference recently and took a gumpaste flowers course. The instructor was adamant that you should never put a floral wire into your cake, she kept talking about plaques, but never elaborated. What is the right way to dc it and what is a plaque.
Thanks

7 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:33am
post #2 of 8

A plaque can be made of gumpaste, pastillage or even colorflow/run sugar. You would make a circle of gumpaste large enough to sit your flower arrangement on. You could attach them to the dried plaque with royal icing or melted white chocolate, but just a dab so the white icing doesn't show through the wires of your flowers. Then you can just set the arrangement on top of your cake.

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 9:26am
post #3 of 8

The reason the instructor was adamant about not putting wires into cakes is they can have a reaction with the cake itself and make it inedible.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:20am
post #4 of 8

Or you can use a flower pick/ they come in varying sizes also from your cake suppliers.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:36am
post #5 of 8

Has anyone ever watched Sylvia Weinstock decorate one of her cakes?

She pushes the flower wires into the cake.

Maybe they are wrapped with floral tape which might make a difference. The wire itself is not touching the cake.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:54am
post #6 of 8

also depends on local laws. Here in Australia in some states you are "not allowed" to insert wire into a cake even if its only part way to hold up a flower.

Some other states allow it if its a particular type of wire etc.

The other benefit to plaques is that people can lift off the arrangement and keep it forever as a keepsake.

KAREN

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 8

you can do a search on this - there is a wide range of opinions on how to handle this. some say it is a no-no, some say there isn't any issue.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 8

I've done it both ways, wire into the cake and then I discovered cocktail straws. They're very small, but the flower wire fits through with no problem and you make a smaller hole in the cake and the wire doesn't touch anything but the straw. I've also used regular straws, the make a bigger hole in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%