Do's & Don'ts Of Using Real Flowers To Decorate....help!

Decorating By nuchielaga Updated 23 Nov 2006 , 11:36pm by GIAcakes

nuchielaga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nuchielaga Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I just received a phone call from a client that wants a wedding cake with real flowers. She wants the same ones she is using for her bridal bouquets and arrangements. I'va never used real flowers before.

Can you please tell me what should I know about decorating with real flowers??? (Basically the DOs and DONTs). Can they use any type of flower? What is these flowers are not edible, and she says it doesn't matter because they wont eat them...don't real flowers bleed when place on top of the fondant?

PLEASE HELP...I DON"T WANT ANY TROUBLE.

Thanks!
Andrea

3 replies
froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 4

Certain flowers are not healthy to put in the cake. They are poisonous. I have little water vials that you put the flower into before inserting into the cake. I think they were sold by Wilton. Do a search in the forum and there are several post that tell you which flowers are harmful. For the flowers that are not harmful, insert a straw into the cake and put the flower stem into it. That will keep the flower from making a mess of the cake.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 4

Here is a list that might be helpful.
http://www.unclelukes.com/main/poisonousflowerlist.html

I see a lot of wedding cakes with fresh Hydrangea and they are on the list of poisonous flowers. I think I'll stick to gumpaste.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 4

I had the same request for a bridal shower cake. The roses I inserted into floral spikes(wilton)filled with water and I used fake hydrangeas. I've also read that you should ask for flowers that don't have any pesticides or harmful fertilizers on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%