How To Make Wood Grain Colored Fondant

Decorating By debiz1123 Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 4:28am by Claricakes

debiz1123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debiz1123 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:56am
post #1 of 12

Can anyone tell me how to make fondant so it is wood grain colored, I have the roller to make it look grainy, but have no idea how to create the colors.

Thanks for any help!

Debbie

11 replies
getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:04am
post #2 of 12

I painted dry gumpaste (bed cake) with brown food colour and clear vanilla. The colour streaked itself and looked like wood grain without having used an impression mat first.

I would imagine if you did use an impression mat and then painted it the 'grain' would get a lot more colour as you went over it and be significantly darker.

HTH

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 12

First start with three different color browns. Then roll each color into log shapes. They do not have to be the same thickness, just the same length. In fact, whatever your main wood color (if you have one) is, should be the thickest, the others, thinner. Then take the logs and roll into one big log. When it gets long, fold it in half (lengthwise), then keep repeating the method of rolling and folding until it has swirled itself in, kind of like a circle (or if you were to chop a tree and look at the trunk). Then roll it flat and cut strips. I'm sorry if it is confusing, but I saw this done in a class and it comes out really cool. Good luck, HTH

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 12

Peeps, do you lay the logs end to end to start making them one big log? I too have seen this done on one of the foodtv shows but it went so fast I couldn't see just how they did it. What you are describing is it though!

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 12

i just put two balls of different color brown together and kneaded until i got the marbleing that i liked. you can check my guitar cake

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycombs

i just put two balls of different color brown together and kneaded until i got the marbleing that i liked. you can check my guitar cake

I couldn't find your guitar cake. I'd love to see it...am I just missing it somewhere??

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 12

Ahhhh...I guess you just posted it and it hadn't showed up in your photos just yet...I just found it on the homepage though. Looks good!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 12
peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 12

sorry to get back to you late, you put the logs side by side, or even on top of each other and then roll into one big log. The colors will begin to marbelize and then as it gets longer, you fold it lengthwise, roll and again.....Again, sorry about the confusion. I wish I had pictures to help you! Hope this helps or the other advice you're getting!! Good luck!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:41am
post #10 of 12

Thanks, Peeps! I have a good visual of what you are talking about and will be giving this a try soon on a planned project. Thanks for the great explanation! icon_smile.gif

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:13am
post #11 of 12

I wish I had known this when I did my antique cash register cake. Instead I covered the cake with brown fondant and painted some thinned down brown food color paste over the fondant and created some streaks in it.

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:28am
post #12 of 12

The way I got wood grain was I purchased a Large 4x4 rubber stamp had my fondant colored med chocolate color rolled out and pressed down this stamp on fondant. When fondant dried a little I pained with warm brown americolor the grooves so you could see better you can check out the pic on my site
www.flickr.com/people/claricakes
This was very EASY! The roller I found very difficult.
Hope this helped.
Clarissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%