How To Use Fondant With Character Pans - Help

Decorating By Poetria Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 1:05am by Teekakes

Poetria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poetria Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have the full body Mickey Mouse Pan and I want to cover the cake in fondant. I have NO idea on how to go about it. ANY suggestions will be VERY helpful. icon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ria

[email protected]

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried it, but here is one idea. It makes sense, but I have no idea if this will work.

Bake the cake and remove it from the pan.
Clean the pan and when it is completely dry, dust it lightly with powdered sugar.
Then lay the fondant into the pan, smoothing into the patters.

Then invert the cake into the pan, pressing lightly.

flip the whole thing and remove the pan.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 6

JoanneB, Your idea sounds worthy or trying!
The only thing I can see needing attention would be the thickness of the fondant. If the fondant was to thick the cake would not fit in the pan again. On my character cakes I don't seem to have much room between the cake and the pan. Your thoughts on this? Could the cake be shrunk down a little in size by freezing it?

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 6

Would the poured fondant work for this so you could perhaps still see the outlines and decorate?

I've been wondering the same thing - glad you asked.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 6

I suppose that would help. I find the cakes normall shrink a bit. As long as the fondant wasn't extra thick I would think the cake would 'smoosh' in fairly well. You probably need to leave an extra bit of overhang on the fondant, because the cake won't go in completely.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6

Hmmmm, well, I think I may have to do a character cake just to try your method out and see how well it works. Interesting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%