200 Cupcakes Later....

Decorating By amoos Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 8:24pm by amoos

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so maybe this doesn't technically qualify as a "disaster" but by the time I was done I felt like I WAS the disaster!

A couple of weeks ago my hubby volunteered me to make a cake for his annual "combat dining in" (military party). Anyway, instead of a full sheet cake I said let's do cupcakes....easier to serve, etc.

BOY, I should've kept my mouth shut!

They were due today, Friday and since I don't have a big fridge I made them yesterday, Thursday evening so they would still be fresh. I called that afternoon to confirm the headcount (was told 60 earlier) when I was then graciously informed it was upped to 100!!! Thank God I called!

Being that I have only 1 oven, 1 mixer and 2, 12 count cupcake pans I was up all night to say the least.

Well, anyway, to make a long story short I had to ice the cupcakes the next morning as well as go to my 37 week checkup. Doc said the baby could come at ANY time.....I was just praying he waited until I finished the cupcakes.

200 cupcakes later......half iced in Desert Camo, half in Woodland Camo.....and I delivered and set up my "display" in their building. I was pretty proud of it!

Now, I just heard from my hubby they loved the cupcakes YEA!!! They ate half he said, I asked, what did they do with the other half? Oh, we had a cupcake fight with them.

A WHAT!!!! I spent hours upon hours on my feet with my back killing me for no money and they had a food fight with them?

WOW! I'd be aggravated if I wasn't so exhausted.....makes me wonder how you professionals really do it. Definately ended my "catering" idea, haha!

9 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 10

Oh no! I feel so bad for you. A cupcake fight? You'd think they were a bunch of 12 year old boys...oh, that's right, men ARE pretty much perpetually the same 12 year olds they once were (even military men).

Your husband should not have mentioned it to you though - he should have said that everyone loved them (which is true) and nothing was left (probably true after the cupcake fight - although not in the way you intended!).

blmiller84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blmiller84 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 10

Good job on getting it all done! That is a crazy amount of cupcakes. Did you take any pictures? I would like to see how you did your camo! I recently did a cake for my boyfriend's friend in the "new" camo... well, it didn't turn out as I wanted since his friend got an earlier flight and I had to finish decorating quickly so we could go pick him up. It turned out well... but he stole my only cake carrier! It's now in Kansas icon_lol.gif oh well

amoos Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for all the sympathy!

I really shouldn't care so much.....guess I just didn't think grown adults would act like that, haha.

Oh well, at least they had a good time (and maybe while they were using the cupcakes as "bombs" someone got hit in the mouth and LOVED the taste....HAHA)

Anyway, will post some pics of them as soon as my friend emails them to me. Camo pattern turned out great, at least I thought so. usaribbon.gif

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 10

I'm glad to hear the men let loose and had a cupcake fight. I wish I were there to join in, although I do understand how you'd be offended.

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 10

Eh, you just sort of have to let it roll off your shoulders-- people enjoyed them one way or another right?! And think of it this way- most people offer a free smash cake with a birthday cake (for little kids) and that's basically just for the little kid to mess up. Many smash cakes are adorable works of art but the one year old is just going to stick his face in it anyway.

I can see how you would be aggravated though! Just trying to cheer you up! icon_biggrin.gif

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 10

I think it is completly hysterical!! I bet it was more fun than these men have had in a long time ... sounds even better than water ballons ... now at 37 weeks pregnant I bet you wish you would have known that they were going to be sugar grenades!

amoos Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:41am
post #8 of 10

I'm actually really happy my hubby and everyone had such a good time. They needed to let off a little steam. Sometimes, being stationed overseas isn't exactly all it's cracked up to be.

Plus, gave me a chance to practice a camo pattern. Not sure WHAT qualifies you as an "expert" on an icing camo pattern, but if doing 200 cupcakes isn't it than I don't know what is! HAHA

Pretty sure next time I might ask first if my desserts plan on being "grenades" and if so......maybe they can have just as much fun with boring white piped icing icon_lol.gif

Guess at the moment I just needed to vent a little......preggo hormones can make ya nuts icon_wink.gif

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 10

That's cute! Who cleaned up the mess??

amoos Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 10

jlh, They had a "cleanup" committee....and from what the hubby says they had their work cut out for them!! I'll have to post some pics as soon as I get it, of the before and esp. of the AFTER! It's hilarious!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%