How Do You Ice A Round Cake?

Decorating By curiegas Updated 29 Jul 2005 , 2:47pm by cakemommy

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:55am
post #1 of 9

I am having such a hard time icing a double tier round cake. When I finish, it looks more like a crumb coat than regular icing. I just use a spatula and put a "blob" of icing on top and smooth.

Thanks,
Cecilia

8 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:59am
post #2 of 9

I crumb coat, let that dry for about 15-20 minutes .. then I put a second coat on it ... it usually covers all the crumbs .. then I smooth with a Viva papertowel

colocak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colocak Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:01am
post #3 of 9

Is the viva papertowl wet or dry? I use Viva papertowels in my home so I have some, just don't know how this will work icon_smile.gif

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:05am
post #4 of 9

Go to articles, find the one about upsidedown meathod, I had the same problem and this is the only thing I do now, I love it.

colocak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colocak Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:07am
post #5 of 9

Did I read something where you can freeze a cake with frosting on it and then take it out and smooth it with wax paper or something?? I think I might be losing it icon_redface.gif

farney0125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farney0125 Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:09am
post #6 of 9

I do a crumb coat and let it crust too for 15 or so minutes...then I do another coat on top....and I use a spatula dipped in hot water. I just did the two teir "Martha Stewart" inspired cake...it's in my photos....I did this technique with that...it was smooth all over. Good luck.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 9
MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiegas

I am having such a hard time icing a double tier round cake. When I finish, it looks more like a crumb coat than regular icing. I just use a spatula and put a "blob" of icing on top and smooth.

Thanks,
Cecilia

I use the big icing tip and cover the entire cake, then smooth....

I get a thick coat of icing ...

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 9

I haven't tried the upside down technique yet but I will some day. What I do to ice my cakes is I use the icer tip!!!!! I use it to apply all over the cake. It works wonders for me. I even use it on sheet cakes. It applies the icing in even layers around so I don't have to worry about "too thick or too thin". Then I give a final smoothing with my angled spatula and any extra icing will just come away with it. I ice my sides first then my top then once more on the sides to touch up.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%