Cookie Bouquet Question

Baking By grumpyx07 Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 6:01am by lovely

grumpyx07 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 18

I've been making decorated cookie for about 6-7 months now and just LOVE it! I wanted to try making a bouquet, but how do you get the cookie stick in the cookie and to stay? Also, do you use treat bags or shrink wrap to seal?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

17 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 18

I lay the stick on the cookie sheet, then place the cookie on top of it. Gently press down on the cookie around the stick. You won't be able to bake as many at a time this way, but it's the easiest procedure for me. And I've never had a cookie fall off a stick. I usually use the treat bags...though I think the shrink wrap looks nicer.

leily Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 18

I bake my cookies like normal, let sit on cookie sheet for 2 mins, transfer to cooling rack, insert bamboo skewer into warm cookie. I have never had a cookie fall off unless i dropped one... but I don't think it would have mattered how i got the stick in there.

Meri8 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #4 of 18

I just did this for the first time, I made the NFSC a little thicker & put the stick in the raw cookie dough before baking as not to see the stick on each side. I twisted it in--like a screw-- in the middle, starting from an edge. They seem to be holding on well, I did not frost yet. They baked well. I made little stars & a big wilton flower, so far it is in there, good luck.

cambo Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 18

I insert my sticks immediately after I pull the cookies from the oven! As they cool, the cookie will really tighten around the stick! I've never had one fall off (knock on wood)!

sweetcakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:03am
post #6 of 18

i put my stick in the raw dough and then bake. i cant imagine putting the sticks in the cookie fresh out the oven, the pan is so hot, im sure you would burn your finger tips.

cambo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:45am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

i put my stick in the raw dough and then bake. i cant imagine putting the sticks in the cookie fresh out the oven, the pan is so hot, im sure you would burn your finger tips.

OMGoodness...I don't insert the sticks while the cookies are still on the hot baking sheet....ouch! I bake all of my cookies on parchment paper, so after I pull them from the oven, I pull the entire "sheet" of parchment off the cookie sheet and right onto the counter! The tops of the cookies are still very hot, but if you're careful you will not burn yourself! I've gotten used to it over the years! That way I can bake so many more cookies at a time cuz there are no sticks in the way! However, folks should do whatever is easier for them!

penguinprincess Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 18

ok. I just made some cookies for a bouquet. I put a bit of dough under the stick and then placed the stick, then the cookie on top. I waited until they were cooled. The stick came out!! The cookies are fine-- did not break, but what did i do wrong? HOw do you keep your stick in the cookie?

Second batch-I made them thick so that I could insert the stick when they cookies were done baking-- they were too thin! HOw thick to they need to be to insert the stick after?

nikki1201 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 18

i read this thread last week before i made my first bouquet. i actually intended to bake the cookies with the sticks in, but forgot to put them in before i put the cookies in the oven! i decided to try to stick them in after they baked. they worked! i didn't even use the heavy cookie sticks, i just used bamboo skewers from target which are pretty thin and none of them fell off. (until i transported the cookies from my house to my office... but that was my fault!)

leily Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 18

What type of stick are you using? That will determin how thick your cookeis need to be.

I use bamboo skewers that I get in pkgs of 100 from either wal-mart or target for only a few dollars. I roll my cookies 3/16" thick before baking and my cookies spread a little but not much.

Once out of the oven I let cool on the rack for 2 mins, move to a cooling rack, and then insert the sticks. I usually use a light weight pot holder over top the cookies (flour sack towel works also) so I don't burn my fingers, but usually once on the rack I can touch lightly with my fingers without a problem of getting to hot.

tricia Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:43am
post #11 of 18

The skewers from Walmart work best for me.They are a little thicker than others but not too thick and heavy...I put them in before baking.

penguinprincess Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #12 of 18

That is exactly the ones I used (the Walmar skewers), cut in half. Hubby thought maybe it was the recipe I used for cookie-- Cream Cheese Cookies. They are a softer cookie-maybe too soft. I will try again tomorrow- first I will try cooking them longer. If that does not work, I guess I will have to try another recipe. I just really like the flavor of the Cream Cheese cookies. What recipe do you use?

tricia Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #13 of 18

Yes the cream cheese recipe is too soft! I use the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe with RBC and RI for details.

penguinprincess Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 18

Thank you! I will give it a try today!

ChefDebby Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:37am
post #15 of 18

I made one bouquet. Just one and I had a great time with it, but I made half the cookies with cookie sticks and the other half with the wide popsickle sticks. The cookie sticks are way to big that the cookie needed to be almost 1/2" thick! And, I found that the cookie twisted when I inserted it into the foam. How do you avoid this? Especially using bamboo skewers? I used a colored take out box from Michaels and put some florist foam wrapped in tissue paper.

indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:01am
post #16 of 18

But I like mine 1/2" thick! icon_biggrin.gif Ok, mine aren't quite that thick..... I lay two wooden spoons on each side of the dough and roll my rolling pin over the spoon handles, so mine are as thick as a wooden spoon handle.

But I like the thicker cookie because it bakes up firm enough to hold it's shape but still soft on the inside. I don't like cookies that crunch, so soft ones are the way to go for me!

BCJean Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:41am
post #17 of 18

When I worked in a cookie shop this is how we did it:
We lined the container, we were going to put the cookies in, with plastic wrap. We put plaster of paris in until about 3 inches deep. As soon as it firmed up some we inserted the sticks at the angle and height we were going to want the cookies to be.
After the cookies were baked and decorated, we used an electric drill, with a bit the same size as the sticks and drilled a hole about 1inch up in the cookie. We took a bag with cookie icing in it and squirted a dab of icing in the hole...then put the cookie on one of the sticks. We had the drill mounted on the counter top at just the right height that when we had the cookie flat on the counter and slid it towards the drill, the hole would be exactly in the middle of the cookie.
This worked great and was so fast and we didn't have to have the stick in the cookie while we decorated it.
The cookies we used were pretty thick and we used dowel rods for the sticks. I don't remember what size but they were larger than a skewer.
If I made very many bouquets I would fix a drill up and do it that way at home.

lovely Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:01am
post #18 of 18

Oh BCJean thay sounds good. I might have to adopt that way. I put my sticks in before cooking and I have a cup of one egg white that I dip the stick or bamboo skewer into then put into raw cookie as this becomes the glue when it cooks. I would imagine it would be that same while it is still warm if you put some egg white on the tip of the stick but I'm now thinking that the drill sounds like an awsome idea. (that needs to be in the thread that is looking fror non cooking items used for cooking)
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-561778.html

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%