caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 12

do I have to defrost it first. Thanks

11 replies
mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 12

I have learned a lesson with frosting a cake while frozen if using crusting buttercream. If you want to smooth out cake with crusting buttercream then wait til thawed out.....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 4:47am
post #3 of 12

I wanted to see what would happen if I iced a frozen cake. basic laws of science apply! Cold contracts and warm expands. I iced the cake while frozen, then as it thawed (i.e. "warmed") the cake expanded and the BC icing cracked all over. Fortunately, this was for a family pitch-in, so with the chantilly lace decor that I added and some BC flowers, it looked ok (to everyone else). icon_wink.gif

I have crumb-coated while frozen, then let it come to room temperature before doing the final icing and those turned out ok.

Aster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aster Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 4:59am
post #4 of 12

Stab it a few times if your in hurry that will help prevent cracking. I refuse to ice a thawed chocolate cake with white BC.

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 5:48am
post #5 of 12

i have never frosted a buttercream cream cake while it has been fozen, but when i make a cake with pastry pride (non dairy whipped topping) i always have it forzen it keeps the cream cool and from craking, i also don't have to clear room in my refigerator icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 6:01am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aster

...... I refuse to ice a thawed chocolate cake with white BC.

Oh gosh, I know what you mean! My crumb coat on a chocolate cake is almost as thick as the final icing!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 6:02am
post #7 of 12

frozen cakes are all i decorate!!!!! i find that it is easier to work with, no crumbs in my icing either. i have never had any troubles with my icing cracking...it's the only way i go!!!

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 6:11am
post #8 of 12

mommacakes is right. I tried to ice a frozen cake with crusting buttercream and I had planned on using the Viva method to smooth it out but the frozen cake caused the icing to stay too wet to smooth out.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 6:13am
post #9 of 12

If you try to ice a frozen cake with Italian meringue buttercream it will begin to develop deep cracks within half an hour.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 6:32am
post #10 of 12

frozen is the only way i'll ice the cake....to many crumbs on a thawed cake...

although i've known the heartbreak of the cracked icing if the cakes frozen solid...i usually just freeze overnight.

Aster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aster Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 12

If I absolutely have to ice a thawed cake or I have just carved it. I use a side-icer. I end up have to comb a lot off but I avoid crumbs that way.

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:24am
post #12 of 12

I never decorate a cake unless it is frozen and i havent come across any problems with cracking or the icing not being smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%