I Don't Have Cake Flour!

Decorating By kelly75 Updated 22 Nov 2006 , 5:56pm by kelly75

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 8

I am about to make a red velvet cake recipe that calls for cake flour; I don't have any, and have never seen it in the shops here - can I use regular all-purpose flour instead? What is the difference anyway?

Any help on this would be much appreciated - I need to get started on this cake soon!

TIA

Kelly

7 replies
seraphim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seraphim Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 8

Spooky! I was going to post this today after reading a recipe calling for cake flour! I didn't know if it would be plain or self raising flour. I have been trying to work it out but have no real idea - plain flour aty a guess but i shall watch this thread with interest.

Good Luck
(ps I really like your Homer cake, great job on matching colours)

sulphur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulphur Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 8

Cake flour is totally different from self rising and all-purpose flour. You will get totally different results. All purpose flour will make your cake dense. If you check Walmart they should have some. I had the same problem with locating cake flour in my area as well because it is not sold in the supermarkets that I go to.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 8

AP flour has more protein in it. If you need to use AP, measure the same quantity of AP that you were supposed to have of cake flour, and subtract 2 tablespoons per cup.

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 8

Here are some directions for subsituting all purpose flour for cake flour:

Substitute 7/8 cup all-purpose flour for each cup of cake flour and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch for every 7/8 cup all-purpose flour used. Cakes made with all purpose flour tend to be less delicate and crumbly.

kelly75 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks all! I'll just try taking out the 2 tbsp per cup of plain flour (unfortunately don't have any corn starch),it's only a practice cake (my hubby is desperate to try a red velvet cake!), so I'll just see what happens.

Unfortunately Walmart is a little too far away from here - I'm in Ireland! I really envy all the choices you have in the US for just about EVERYTHING!

Seraphim, I'll post back to let you know how it turns out (I used to live in Falkirk, not too far from Edinburgh - still have in-laws there too!)

Kelly

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 8

I use regular flour, because that is all we have here in Denmark. I have no problems with cakes being dense, not even Red Velvet.

Maybe our flour is different?

kelly75 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 8

Well, the cake is done, and it is the lightest, fluffiest cake I think I've ever baked and nice and moist too! I did as suggested and took out 2 tablespoons from each cup of flour (I used 'Sarah's Red Velvet Cake' from the recipe section here) and it worked perfectly!

Thanks everyone! (just waiting for hubby to get home and taste it now!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%