Recipe Needed

Baking By Catbird Updated 8 Oct 2005 , 5:31pm by Gingoodies

Catbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catbird Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:14am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have a petit four recipe you would share with me other than the one listed in the recipe section here?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

7 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 8

Does anyone know what the red and green petite fors are called? They are usually covered in chocolate and are soo good. I've been looking for a recipe for a long time.

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 8

Michelle I think I know what you are talking about. I have made them before and very good. It is a sponge cake I believe made in 3 very thin layers which includes almond paste if I recall correctly. One layer is colored red, one green and one remains white. You trim and stack the layers with melted apricot jam (could use any flavor). You cover the top with a thick ganache and weight down the layers so they compact. Or you can cut first and coat each piece individually. Let me try to think of what they are called and see if I saved the recipe for them. I put them on my holilday trays a couple years and people raved that they were so good (anything with almond paste imho is good lol!).

Catbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catbird Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 8

Anyone have a recipe that you have tried that works well?

That you would be willing to share with me?

Doing a baby shower on Wednesday, and the Hostess just insistes on petit fours.

I have one recipe but it crumbables terrible and it is yellow she is wanting white cake. And I have never used cake mix before for these, have any of you? Do you mix any different?

Thanks you all for the tips and help you provide on this site.

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 8

Michelle I believe this is the recipe I used. Although I distinctly recall using melted apricot jam to fill. I also know that I weighted down with a cutting board while they refrigerated overnight to compact the layers. And I couldve sworn it was a sponge cake. And that I used a true ganache. Although these may have been my personal tweaks now that I think about it! These are very rich and sweet, you only need to cut into little pieces. This is the recipe from Solo's site that I had in my files:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Neapolitan Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cups butter or margarine -- softened
1 cup sugar
1 can Solo or 1 jar Baker Raspberry Filling
1 can Solo Almond Paste
4 squares semisweet chocolate -- (4 ounces) coarsely chopped
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 drops green food coloring -- (4 to 6)
4 drops red food coloring -- (4 to 6)

Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan, line with waxed paper, and grease paper. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Break almond paste into small pieces and add about one-third at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is smooth. Add eggs and almond extract and beat until well combined. Beat in flour until thoroughly blended. Divide batter into thirds. Place one-third in bowl, add green food coloring, mix until evenly blended, and set aside. Place second third in separate bowl, add red food coloring, mix until evenly blended, and set aside. Spread remaining plain batter in lined baking pan. Bake 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Invert onto rack, remove pan, and carefully peel off lining paper. Reline pan and repeat with pink batter. Reline pan and repeat with green batter. Place green layer on foil-lined baking sheet and spread with half of raspberry filling. Top with plain layer and spread with remaining raspberry filling. Top with pink layer and press down gently. Wrap tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. Place chocolate and shortening in small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly. Unwrap layers and trim off any crusty edges. Spread chocolate over top of pink layer. Let stand until chocolate is dry and set. Cut into squares about 1 inch in size.

Yield: "About 108 cookies"

You can also change the colors from red/green to say yellow/green (easter) pink/blue (for a shower) or to fit the colors of an event (ie to use the bride's colors for a wedding). And you can alternate fillings-ie use apricot and raspberry.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 8

thank you, I lost this post and couldn't find it. Thank goodness for google! icon_lol.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 8

Mchelle.. Somtimes they are called tri-colore cookies or venetians. I make these for my neice and BIL who both love them. I have even done a "tri-colore" cake for them. Also when I do this I use the throw away rectangular cake pans so I can do all three layers at the same time. It always works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%