Cleaning Those Tips

Decorating By StaceyRN Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 6:58pm by leily

StaceyRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyRN Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:47am
post #1 of 31

OK, so we all love to decorate, but the clean up.... icon_eek.gif uugghhh. Does anyone have any suggestions on a quicker way to clean the tips. I'm so tired of standing at the sink, one by one cleaning the tips.......And the bag for the dishwasher is useless......the tips get inside one another and never get cleaned.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Stacey

30 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:50am
post #2 of 31

Super hot water, a tiny squirt of Dawn, a normal size cup (not glass just in case you are super strong), SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE. Done. thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 31

I put all of my tips into a microwave save bowl, a squirt of dish detergent, cover with water about 1/2-1" above the highest tip. Place in microwave for 10 mins. Once done pour into a mesh colander and rinse with warm water. Put on towel to dry.

Tada! done (this is the best tip I ever learned here on CC, saves me a ton of time and headache in clean up)

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 31

I throw them all in those baskets you can get for baby bottle parts that go on the rop rack of your dishwasher. Works great! That way they are contained but have more room to move around than those dishwasher bags - I also throw in my plastic couplers and they come out sparkling. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 31

I had a V-8 moment (hand slap on forehead, followed by a big DUH!) when one CC'er shared the idea of keeping a bowl of hot soapy water handy and throwing them in that. When you're ready to clean up, they are practically just rinsable. What a time saver!

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

I throw them all in those baskets you can get for baby bottle parts that go on the rop rack of your dishwasher. Works great! That way they are contained but have more room to move around than those dishwasher bags - I also throw in my plastic couplers and they come out sparkling. icon_smile.gif

I do the same. icon_wink.gif

amysjustpeachy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysjustpeachy Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 31

Ok, maybe this is a little lame, and not everyone has this "resource", but I've entertained young children by letting them squeeze out and eat the tiny bit of frosting with their little fingers in exchange for cleaning them for me. It keeps them busy for a long time and they like the soapy water and the little brushes. Of course, I do have to go back and rinse them in really hot water and double check them!

ptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptain Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 31

I do the same s mgdqueen, works great... thumbs_up.gif

dooleybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooleybug Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

I put all of my tips into a microwave save bowl, a squirt of dish detergent, cover with water about 1/2-1" above the highest tip. Place in microwave for 10 mins. Once done pour into a mesh colander and rinse with warm water. Put on towel to dry.

I'm confused about this tip on tips icon_smile.gif I did not think that metal could go in the microwave icon_confused.gif

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 31

Usually metal can go in the microwave as long as its not touching the sides. However, I'm sure it all depends on the microwave. If you try this, keep an eye on it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by adawndria

Usually metal can go in the microwave as long as its not touching the sides. However, I'm sure it all depends on the microwave. If you try this, keep an eye on it.

If you have a really old microwave, like when they first came out 30 years ago, you'll have a problem. The newer ones are usually ok.

pieceofcake2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake2000 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 31

I put my tips and couplers a few in each compartment of my silverware basket in the dishwasher. If you only put a few in each part, they don't get stuck inside each other. And then throw silverware over top to keep them from flying out.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleybug

Quote:
Quote:

I'm confused about this tip on tips icon_smile.gif I did not think that metal could go in the microwave icon_confused.gif

As long as you have water covering them completely then it will be ok (and one that isn't really really old) The water acts as an insulation so you won't get sparks)

Same concept is to put them in a boiling pot of water with a little dish soap (this works to... i just like to keep my kitchen as cool as possible, expecially during the summer)

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:58am
post #14 of 31

a tablespoon of white vinegar in a cup of really hot soapy water really helps cut the grease

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:10am
post #15 of 31

pieceofcake2000,

That's what I do! Clogged with icing and all. Just put them in the silverware basket and put 3 or 4 utensils in the same section to keep the tips and couplers from flying out. icon_smile.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:10am
post #16 of 31

I put them in a glass of hot water as I'm finished with them, then when I'm all done I dump them in the sink, squirt dish soap over the top and use my hand sprayer with the hottest tap water possible and spray like crazy until all the soap bubbles are gone. This usually does the job but sometimes I put more dish soap and respray..........basically I am just to lazy to pick each one of and clean it!

heathercarnold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #17 of 31

When I'm decorating i keep a pot on the stove. when I'm finished with each tip I through it in the pot. Add a little baking soda and heat to boil. Then I dump and rinse...super quick always gets them clean.

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 31

After trying the "cover with water and nuke" method, I've used nothing else.

I was hesitant at first, and stood about 6 feet from the microwave, just in case. It's fun seeing the tips and couplers tumbling around in boiling water with soap. They absolutely sparkle.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 5:10pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by amysjustpeachy

Ok, maybe this is a little lame, and not everyone has this "resource", but I've entertained young children by letting them squeeze out and eat the tiny bit of frosting with their little fingers in exchange for cleaning them for me. It keeps them busy for a long time and they like the soapy water and the little brushes. Of course, I do have to go back and rinse them in really hot water and double check them!

amysjustpeachy, I think that's an incredible idea. What a great way to keep the kids occupied and get your tips cleaned.

StaceyRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyRN Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:23pm
post #20 of 31

Thank you all sooooo much for all the great tips.....I've jotted them all in my cake notebook!! I plan to try each one to see which works best for me!

P.S. Loved the one about the children!!! My daughter could definately fall for that!

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:38pm
post #21 of 31

Where I work we use 50+ tips a week.

Get some super hot water soak them for an hour and then rinse.

ktm00n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm00n Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:57pm
post #22 of 31

I boil mine for about 30 seconds, then toss in a colander and rinse with hot water. I don't like leaving mine soaking for a long time, because even though they say they're rust-proof... I'd rather not take any risks.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:57pm
post #23 of 31

Microwave! Putting all of your tips and couplers into a plastic bowl with a good squirt of dawn or palmolive then covered in hot water and microwaved for 1.5 to 2 minutes will never fail you and your tips will be squeeky clean. I always make sure there is at least two inches of water covering the tips & couplers.
Of note, I do rinse the globs of icing out of the tips before doing this but all that requires is running hot water over the top of them until the icing falls out. Maybe takes 3 or 4 seconds.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:14pm
post #24 of 31

Sorry to be so stupid, but you put your metal tips in the microwave and it doesn't spark ??? I would have never thought to do that! If this is what you REALLY mean, I'll have to try that! I always just soak them for a long time in HOT soapy water, but I always seem to forget about them until the water evaproated, and then I'm left with a messy bunch of tips that have ising dried all over them!...lol

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:30pm
post #25 of 31

Great tips. Thanks

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:37pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortNsweet

Sorry to be so stupid, but you put your metal tips in the microwave and it doesn't spark ??? I would have never thought to do that! If this is what you REALLY mean, I'll have to try that! I always just soak them for a long time in HOT soapy water, but I always seem to forget about them until the water evaproated, and then I'm left with a messy bunch of tips that have ising dried all over them!...lol

Not stupid to think that at all as I think we all thought that when it first came about.
Yes, it works beautifully putting them in the microwave. Just make sure you have about 2 to 3 inches of water covering the tips then let the microwave do the work for you. The water will be VERY hot when you take them out so rinse under very warm water carefully then set out to dry. You won't believe how nice they come out. icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #27 of 31

Wow! I feel like you guys have just saved me half an hour now for cleaning up! icon_lol.gif You are all great! I would've never thought to try all this!

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:44pm
post #28 of 31

[quote="indydebi"]I had a V-8 moment (hand slap on forehead, followed by a big DUH!)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Why is it Dearest Indydebi, that everytime you post a comment either I:

1. Burst out laughing or
2. Make a mental note of such helpful suggestions??

I absolutely LOVE anything you have to say!!!

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:44pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleybug

Quote:
Quote:

As long as you have water covering them completely then it will be ok (and one that isn't really really old) The water acts as an insulation so you won't get sparks)

Same concept is to put them in a boiling pot of water with a little dish soap (this works to... i just like to keep my kitchen as cool as possible, expecially during the summer)

What's wrong with an old microwave? I swear my microwave is almost as old as my rental house 30+ years and it works just fine. Is there something I should be aware of?

Love the microwave method for those of you who are thinking of trying it. Will never clean my tips another way!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:15pm
post #30 of 31

Add me to the microwave band wagon. I love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%