Unbelievable customer rant

Decorating By aussienyankie Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 6:45pm by RUMCAKE

jenlg Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:38pm
post #31 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyk10

Copy all these comments and send them to her!

Great idea! This woman must've been off her rocker!

robinleah Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:40pm
post #32 of 173

Stacey, She got an amazing cake. Worth more than what she paid. Sounds like she would be hard to please no matter what she was given. Chin up not all are like her.

MimiFord Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:48pm
post #33 of 173

The fact that she ordered and paid for her own birthday cake would have been my 1st red flag - whomever has to do that must not be beloved by many if anyone - as she said, her kids love parties - so she was celebrating "alone" with her kids - because she either knows no one, or no one likes her well enough to bother with her birthday. All kinds of flags go up now.

She was miserable from the get go and I suspect maybe a little icon_redface.gif
No doubt, you did an excellent job and undercharged - part of lessons learned.

If I did reply, it would be simple, not apologetic in anyway - and I would include the line:

PLEASE REMEMBER, I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE!!

If you get referrals from this cake, I'd be leary about who I'm dealing with -misery loves company, right?

Mencked Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:48pm
post #34 of 173

I loved your cake. You did a wonderful job, the woman is a quack, and you really owe her nothing more. It takes all kinds to make this world go around, and unfortunately, you got to deal with this total crackpot!! Keep your head up and don't let her comments make you doubt your abilities!!!

tyty Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:52pm
post #35 of 173

She got a bargain! She had to know that too. She was just looking for something to complain about. Your cake is awsome, love the detail. Cross her off your customer list and yell NEXT!

Crystal74 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:55pm
post #36 of 173

That was an awesome cake for only $30. You have to stick by your guns on this one. Do NOT give her back her money! She got way more than she deserved!!!

Crystal

alisoncooks Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:56pm
post #37 of 173

I think MimiFord picked up on something...the fact that this lady was buying her own b-day cake may have something to do w/ her overall bad attitude. I'm sorry you had this customer...I know what it feels like to feel really good about something you spent a lot of time on only to have it receive a less than ecstatic response.

I see you also live in the triangle...people around here can be CHEAP when it comes to what htey are willing to spend on cake. I'm not at all surprised that she didn't understand what that cake was worth!

cwcopeland Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:02pm
post #38 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilvus

Wow, how unbelievably rude.

Just for the sake of never having to deal with her again I would be just as rude back.

Dear Miss Pissypants,

Considering you were not present when the actual cake was baked you have no way of knowing it was a boxed cake, which by the way it is NOT.

Please try to find a bakery that will make this cake for $30 and let me know when you DON'T so I can laugh in your face.

Hope you had a nice birthday.

Sincerely (not) Yours,
Stacey

You're so funny. It would serve her right to send this letter.
icon_lol.gif

grama_j Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:08pm
post #39 of 173

Your cake is amazing.... sounds like she wanted you to offer her the money back..... I think I would ask her" Which bakery would make this cake? I didn't know any of them did this type of work" I think she is lying through her teeth........

sweetsnmoore Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:12pm
post #40 of 173

You have already gotten lots of advice but here is one thing that I would NOT do...DO NOT APOLOGIZE! Not under any circumstances. You can word your feelings without saying you are sorry. You are NOT sorry about the cake, the design, the taste or the price. You ARE sorry about agreeing to make her a cake, but don't tell her that either.

Honestly, you do owe her a response e-mail because she was a customer albeit a PIA but she WAS a customer.

You owe her nothing more than this:

Dear Ms. Non Party Havin' Birthday Lady(Insert actual LAST NAME here):

I received your e-mail and was quite surprised to hear that you were not pleased with the cake. I pride myself on my cake recipes and have spent much time getting them to my high standards.
I do understand that not everyone has the same appreciation for scratch baking. Truth be told, I find it flattering that I am baking with the likes of Betty Crocker. She is one highly paid baker and I hope to achieve the same success as she!
Please be reassured that you, indeed, received a custom made scratch cake for a price that was well below market value. I truly hope that you are able to find a baker that is more suited for your needs, for your next event.

Respectfully,

Suzie Scratch Baker (Insert actual name here!)

Be nice, be respectful but don't apologize. Trust me, it is far better to word it the way I did so that she walks around wondering if she was just insulted or not. Let the twit scratch her head on that one. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:12pm
post #41 of 173

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!

Don't worry about her and what she thinks. Your price was very reasonable for what you did, as indydebi said look at the detail you put into this!!!

Keep doing what you're doing and remember you can't please everyone.

MandyE Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #42 of 173

Disclaimer: I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm duplicating things already said. icon_biggrin.gif
Yeah, I'd like to see her get that cake at a typical bakery. I don't know about you, but the bakeries around me do sheet cakes and more sheet cakes. Good luck finding anything creative and original there!

You're cake is adorable, tell her to go fly a kite! Did you respond? I think I would just ignore her and not even give her the satisfaction.

antonia74 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:23pm
post #43 of 173

Are you kidding me?? I actually thought the wrong photo came up when I clicked on the link, because there is no WAY someone would complain about that unbelievable cake??!!

As for $30.....it should have been at least $130-$150, no question.

Oh well, she's another year older and a whole lot ruder. Next year, hopefully someone will still love her enough to bake her a damn cake! icon_lol.gif

cakenutz Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:31pm
post #44 of 173

She was probably made at the whole world. First it's her b-day and nobody woke up and told her happy bday. Husband wishes he wasn't there. Kids woke up and couldn't wait to go to school to get away from her. The paperboy threw her paper in the bushes on purpose. She called her mom for lunch and her mom "said" she was to "busy" So she had to buy her own cake light her own candles and sing happy bday to me all by herself. Gee it's terrible to be a rude tapedshut.gif

DiannaSue Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #45 of 173

WOW, I read the whole thread, and I went to see your cake. Man I think your cake is fantastic you did a fantasic job on this cake. All of the extra detail you did, the time that you spent on this cake, was well worth over $30.00. I usually undercharge but you really did undercharge on this cake. Take a deep breath and be proud of your creation. She must just be a lonely, miserable, unhappy individual that is not happy unless she makes every one around her miserable. You have nothing and I do mean NOTHING to be upset about or sorry about. You created a very very pretty cake. Sorry you had to encounter an individual like this one but hopefully she will be your first and your last.

aussienyankie Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:17pm
post #46 of 173

Thank you everyone for your support, I did make the cake from scratch as she had asked me to but she is the only one i have ever had any complaint from, It hurt me a little as i really thought she would love it, I was so proud of it..I know i am not am expert but i also tell people i am still learning....

elvis i had sent a pic of the same cake to her with less detail from here on cc i have loved that cake and wanted to make it so i asked her if this would be ok..She said it was perfect....

auntginn I had told her for $30 i would only do vanilla chocolate or strawberry cake and filling and anything extra was more costs to her....I have never had a complaint before and most of my customers call up and say the cake tasted so good....

SkisInOkinawa Thanks girl I know i should have charged her more, I just sometimes doubt myself but i shouldn't lol i think the cake was so nice and i know it tasted soo yummm..

Janette I dont know how she thinks it was a betty crocker cake as i have never in my life used that brand of cake I do most of my cakes from scratch unless it is a practice cake that i tell people they will be getting a box....

VeronicaLuis thanks i think the same thing she is insane, I am getting ready to move back to Australia, I just hope i do as well there as i have done here in the US

alisoncooks yes we do live in the triangle and you are so right about how cheap people are around here considering how many rich people there is around here, i even had one lady complain that i wanted 60 dollars for a 2 tier cake and she said to me she could go to walmart and get a cake for 13 dollars,.. can you believe that lol

aussienyankie Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:30pm
post #47 of 173

Oh i got another email from her but so you understand everything i will show you my email to her,I know some things i maybe shouldn't have said but at the time i was hurt by her reaction....I am aussie and hubby is a US marine, We are heading to cali for a few months and then back to australia to live, We moved to raleigh and no offense to anyone who lives here i have never met so many rude people though there is the few nice ones, so i told her this....Also as we are getting ready to move in less then 10 days we have packed away our clocks for the movers and i looked on the cable box time and it said 9:15 she was meant to be at my house at 7:30, So i called her just to make sure she was coming and she told me it was only 7 so i rechecked on our computer and she was right so i said i was very sorry and i would see her soon, I forgot we shut off the cable so the time was wrong, Now when she arrived i said i was sorry again and told her about the cable box and she wasn't happy about that at all so really i knew this was going to be a problem woman...
this is my response to her

1st of all i don't use box cakes for my cakes, unless they are practice cakes that i do and sell cheap and i tell the customers that....2ND the cake you payed $30 for normally costs $60....I can send you the exact recipe i used for this cake...I knew from the moment you came by that you would complain, You didn't look or sound like a happy person from the beginning...You are the only one i have ever had to complain and like i said i knew you would, Next time go to the store and get a cake from them, Though i will tell you that they are box cakes and are frozen when they arrive in the store....This cake at a bakery would have been between $60 and $100 I know all this as i worked at a few bakery's....When making a cake you have to put butter and egg in it the cake so it will turn a tinge of yellow that can no be helped So it is almost impossible to get a home made cake to be pure white....And it is people like you that i cant wait to leave NC, I have never in my life met so many rude people until i came here....I don't appreciate you saying i did something that i didn't do so next time ask before you accuse someone of something....Maybe this attitude is the reason you had to buy your own cake.....With this said i am blocking you from my email and don't care to hear from you again.....

This was her super rude reply she sent from a different email...

I don't care what you say. That cake was not a scratch cake. There's no way. My colleagues gave me a scratch cake at work yesterday and it was excellent. You can say what you want but I would never believe you.

You can also say what you want about me and other Americans. Perhaps we are just tired of foreigners coming into our country. Maybe you really should go home to Australia. What a wonderful idea! Save the US from your godawful cakes! LOL

By the way, you were rude to me from the initial conversation, calling me at home asking me IF I was still going to pick up the cake when we had already discussed the time I would be there. I should have no showed just for that reason alone. Lame excuse about a clock. I didn't believe it, perhaps that is why I had the look I had when I got there. You get confused about the difference between 7:15 and 9:15? Maybe you also got confused about Betty Crocker vs. Scratch cakes.

Makes sense to me!

See ya!

(By the way, you are blocked now and I will be telling everyone about the horrendous cake everywhere I go, plus on craigslist every time I see a chance to do so.)

christeena Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:49pm
post #48 of 173

UNBELEIVABLE!!! I am so sorry you had to deal with this sour puss and several other rude Americans! Please be assured that we are not all like her and I hope that you and your Marine DH will be happy back in your homeland! Please tell your DH that I apprecaite his service to our country and pray for his safety! Best of luck to your cake biz in Australia - with cakes like this one, you will be very busy!!

victorianne_sweets Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #49 of 173

Sooo...Craigslist, eh? Why don't you just give all us CC'ers her email addy (both of them!)....she'll never bother you again!!!! icon_evil.gif
BTW, your cake was awesome! thumbs_up.gif

aussienyankie Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:13pm
post #50 of 173

thanks i knwo not all americans are like this like i said i have lived all over and when i got to raleigh i just couldnt believe how many rude people i met, Though i have met some really nice awesome people here the bad seems to out number the good...I dont know why...I will miss the US but i am just glad to be going to to my family after so long..I will tell my hubby and i am glad there are still people out there who respect the military
SEMPER FI

ziggytarheel Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:33pm
post #51 of 173

I have just been in shock as I read this and am so sorry it happened to you.

But I was even more shocked when you talked about all the rude people in Raleigh.

I've lived here for 30 years and never heard this town described like that. Usually it is entirely the opposite! I'm very sorry you have encountered folks like that. Maybe they are not really a reflection of Raleigh. They are certainly not the Raleigh I know. The first thing newcomers tell me is how very warm and friendly and helpful people are and then the second is how much they love the weather. icon_biggrin.gif
Maybe you've dealt with a lot of people who haven't become acclamated to our sweet spirit. The usual complaint, when I hear one, is that everyone is just too nice! That people are way too afraid of offending anyone to be "real". We can just be "southern" that way!

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. I wish I could show you the nicer side of this place, the real Raleigh, I believe.

kelleym Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:43pm
post #52 of 173

That second email from her is so shockingly rude I am at a loss for words. icon_eek.gif
What a sad, miserable woman.

moydear77 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:56pm
post #53 of 173

Just open a new email and be sure to tell her that she is classless. People like that will have a rude awakening. Everything comes back in full circle! I had one complaint in seven years...." the cake was yummy, but not what I thought it was going to be...I am going to go have the rest when I get off the phone"

I would be fuming mad. I would love to see her get the cake for that price. I also love people who have that keen sense to know scatch from box. It is true that even high end bakerie use mix, Icing from a bucket and so on.

It was beautiful and be sure to tell your hubby how much we appreciate our service people!

becky27 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:04pm
post #54 of 173

whew!!!!!! i just got finished reading this....i can't believe....ok yes i can......well lesson learned...listen to your gut ALWAYS!!!! your cake was so spectacular....it is in my favs!!! it is one of the ones my mom noticed and totally loved!!!! you did a terrific job and i am sure it tasted great!!!!

ps. if she doesn't like boxed cakes why/how could she say that the ones her collegues bought/made her was good?? such a liar....we all know she doesn't have friends!!!! and we all know that her office would never participate in an office b'day for her!!!! hahahahahahahahaha come on her own family won't even make her a cake and they are supposed to love her unconditionally!!!! we are supposed to believe her co-workers think that much of her to give a cake???!!!!! hahahahaha
i gotta go i am pee'ing my pants!!!!!!! hahahahaha

chocomama Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:08pm
post #55 of 173

Puhleeese! Is she kidding? WHERE else would she have been able to get a cake like that for "a little more" than $30! Unbelieveable!

Joy2501 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:17pm
post #56 of 173

Post her real name here so we all know to avoid her business!!! That way when she calls we can say "oh, you're that @#$% customer. Sorry I am busy!"

Okay I know that's not allowed - just would be nice.

step0nmi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:22pm
post #57 of 173

WTF!!!!?????? THIS WOMAN IS NUTS!!! Where the heck does she got off acting like this to someone!? She barely even knows you! I would tell her that if she threatens to bad mouth you on craigslist that you will be forced to take legal action! This is called slander people!!! I can't believe this woman! HOW does she NOT know that the one the people brought her at work was a box mix!!!??? Maybe she is not use to scratch cake!!!! LET me have her $%^@!!! email and I will tell her a thing or two!!!

(btw...IT is that time of the month for me too! LOL)

You should not have to take this from anyone! And I am soo sorry you have not met nice people in this area...I have heard it is nice there also! I know family that lives there and they are all nice. This woman is old and bitter and NO ONE LOVES HER!! How can THEY if she acts like this to an acquaintance??!!
I would definitely threaten her if she does take this to slandering your business! That is not right just because she wasn't satisfied! And what is up with this TRUST issue with her!?? I think she needs help!!!

(thanks for giving me a good thread to vent at! icon_biggrin.gif
edited to take bad word out! sorrry

kathik Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:40pm
post #58 of 173

Please either post her name or pm those of us who live in Raleigh! I for one don't want to deal this this person, either!!

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Kathi

cuillere Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:59pm
post #59 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiliS

My response would be

"Dear birthday girl,

I bake from scratch, no cake mixes here. Sorry your palate is no where near refined enough to recognise this. I'm sorry you feel you were ripped off for $30, but to be brutally honest, my skills are worth more than that.

I feel it's wise for you to find another cake maker, perhaps someone who thrives on ball busting customers.

have a wonderful day icon_biggrin.gif
But then again.... I'm a grumpy sleep deprived mad woman today....

I love that answer both funny and right to the point.Keep it coming

DEBBIE157 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:20pm
post #60 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaLuis

I know what was wrong with the cake... You didn't add lemons.

All those years of eating lemons for breakfast destroyed her palette.

LOL. aint that the truth.

This thread has been very theraputic for venting:

Dear Lemon Lady/Rotten Customer:

I'm sorry your taste buds don't work.
I'm sorry you have no artistic taste.
I'm sorry you have NO FRIENDS TO BUY YOU A BIRTHDAY CAKE.

Feel free to find a new baker.

heehee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%