Help For Sick Child

Lounge By melissaanne Updated 22 Nov 2006 , 11:23pm by mkolmar

melissaanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaanne Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:53am
post #1 of 40

This isn't exactly cake related, but my best friend's son has to have a bone marrow transplant on the 13th of December. Obviously they are going through hell at the moment. I know there is nothing much that I can do to help, but I have offered to make some meals to put into the freezer, that they can eat when they get a chance. Their son (Ethan) will be in an isolation unit for 6 weeks-- that also mean no Santa.
So my question is this: Do you have a favorite recipe that you are willing to pass on that I can cook and put in the freezer? I want to collect as many different recipes as possible so they don't have to eat the same thing every night.
thanks,
Melissa

39 replies
shelie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelie Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:03am
post #2 of 40

I will keep them in my prayers! I have helped friends in different situations similar to this and i always make meatballs in a spagetti sauce. There is alot you can do with them, they can make subs, over pasta or just a few meatballs on the go. I put them in a gallon size bag and then they freeze them. Any old recipe will do. Maybe freeze them some subs rolls to go with them. I wish them luck and you are a great friend to help out I am sure they will appreciate it!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:03am
post #3 of 40

I will search my recipe file & get back to you.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:04am
post #4 of 40

How sweet of you!!

Here's my country chicken dish. It's easy to freeze and re-heat right from the freezer!

4 pieces boneless chicken (can be thighs, breasts--just boneless!)
3/4 cup plain rice
1 can cream mushroom soup
1 can water or milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 pack shredded cheese (whatever's your fave)
4 slices deli-style sliced ham

Mix rice and 1/2 cup water and pour into bottom of medium casserole dish. (You may want to spray first with non-stick) Place chicken on top of wet rice. Season well with garlic, pepper and salt. On each piece of chicken, pile a palm-full of cheese. Put the ham on top of each piece of cheese-covered chicken. Mix up the milk and soup and pour on top of it all. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

--Knox--

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:05am
post #5 of 40

you wouldn't happen to know their likes and dislikes? I can look in my books and get back to you.

dl5crew Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:07am
post #6 of 40

The only thing I can find is lasagna. Now I don't make it homemade. I buy Stouffers(sp?). They have them @Wal-Mart for around $10.00.
I will pray for all involved, and tell our prayer team @ church.
Blessings.

melissaanne Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:13am
post #7 of 40

Thank you! There are no allergies, I think they will like anything.
I find the hardest thing about cooking dinner, is deciding what to cook. I figured if I ask you all, then I will print them off and start cooking icon_smile.gif
I have been friends with this girl for 30 years now. Her son is only 4 and got sick at 18 months. I hardly get to see her now. It seems my children always seem to have a cold and the last thing I want to do is make Ethan sick. They also have a four month old baby and luckily he has been a very easy baby.
Thanks again for your help,
It makes me want to cry just thinking about it,
Mel

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:21am
post #8 of 40

I make a Chicken/Rice/Broccoli Casserole that freezes well. I don't have a recipe so to speak but I usually mix 2-3 cups of cooked rice, a couple cups of broccoli, the meat from about half of a chicken (i use store-bought rotisserie chicken), a couple cans of campbell's cheddar cheese soup and a little milk to thin the cheese soup, salt & pepper to taste. I would freeze at this point, the family could thaw and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. If you are able to get a rotisserie chicken, you can use the remaining chicken to make some chicken salad, doesn't freeze well but will last in the fridge a couple of days.

I will keep the family in my prayers and God bless you for taking care of them.

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #9 of 40

i'll stick to the business at hand so that i dont cry!
I find it helpful to have already cooked chicken in the freezer.... maybe grilled chicken breasts... put it on a salad... make a quesadilla.. chicken soup.... chicken pasta.... it's just helpful to have it on hand.
my prayers are with your friends.... I cant imagine what they are going through.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:27am
post #10 of 40

I'll search my recipes but off the top of my head . . . soups freeze well and area always good in the fall / winter. You could also do a stew, chili (make some cornbread to freeze), even quiches freeze well.

banana breads, muffins, etc . . . are nice to have, too, for mornings when they don't have time for breakfast as I'm sure they'll be spending a lot of time up at the hospital.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:31am
post #11 of 40

We love to make macaroni and cheese, and add ground beef that has been browned with onion and garlic.

If I might make a suggestion, you might want to think about getting some microwaveable containers or plates from a restaurant supply store, and putting up individual servings. That way, if they have to, they can grab a couple of plates and take them with them. They can always heat them in the hospital cafeteria. The supply store is also a good place to find plastic flatware in bulk. Wrap them in a napkin with a rubber band, and place them near the fridge so they can just grab and go.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:31am
post #12 of 40

My thoughts and prayers are with them and you. I will deff search for some good hearty freezable food for you. thumbs_up.gif

shameekaharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shameekaharvey Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:39am
post #13 of 40

I always make the lasagna(hope I spelled that right) on the back of the Skinner brand lasgna noodles. It's called Virginia's easy lasagna. Everyone who has ever eaten it has loved it. The best thing about this recipe is that you don't have boil the noodles. You put them in the cassarole uncooked and it turns out fabulous!!!

You tell your friend that God is still in control and that the prayers of the righteous availeth much. I will be praying on this end!!!!

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:39am
post #14 of 40

Here's a mexican twist on the old meatloaf

Cheesy Mexican Meatloaf

Heat oven to 375

1 lb. ground beef
about 1 cup (maybe more or less)italian seasoned bread crumbs
a few shakes of garlic powder
1/2 an onion
1/2 a green pepper
2 eggs
milk to measure
shredded taco cheese
taco sauce or salsa

Mix ground meat,italian seasoned bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion, green pepper, eggs and milk together.

Prepare meatloaf pan with a small amount of shortening or spray to prevent the cheese from burning on the pan. Smoosh the meatloaf in the pan. remove some of the meat mix in the middle to make a crevice down the whole middle of the loaf. Fill in with taco cheese. Replace meat.

Put in oven for about 20 minutes. remove and put taco seasoning or salsa on top. Sprinkle with cheese.

Return to oven for about 10 more minutes or until meat is done cooking.

and it freezes well thumbs_up.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:39am
post #15 of 40

hamburger stroganof??? You could do it as a cassarole with noodles

This gives a good prospective on thansgiving doesn't it????

I'll be thinking of you and them -bless you for your efforts!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:49am
post #16 of 40

Super easy-Baked spaghetti

1 16oz box spaghetti
1 jar sauce (sometimes I use close to 2 jars because I like lots of sauce)
2 c mozarella cheese
parm cheese ( I just grate some on or you can use the sprinkle kind)

Cook your spaghetti,drain well,
pour into oven safe 9x13 pan
add in sauce then mix thoroughly
top with parmesan cheese and mozzarella
Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray and cover dish tightly (spraying prevents the cheese from sticking too bad)

Bake at 350 for 25-30 or until center is hot and cheese is melted and bubbly. It may take longer-I haven't made it in awhile!

Allow to cool for 20-25 min then cut into individual serving portions and freeze. Can be thawed in microwave and then heated to serve in just a few minutes.

You can also add extras to taste like mushrooms, olives, etc

hth

mysticamethyst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysticamethyst Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:53am
post #17 of 40

I am currently going thur something similar but its with my own daughter, I like to have lots of crockpot reciepes, start in morning and done in evening. Maybe you could get a few together like that not really what you are looking for, sorry for that, as far as casseroles go, i like my homemade hambuger helper; but i don't really have a reciepe per say for it, i make like this

1 pound of ground beef or turkey
1 of the larger cans of bush honey baked beans
1/2 bottle of favorite bbq sauce
and some cooked elbow noodles, I then bake it for about 30-40 min, and frozen biscuts go pretty good with this. I will light a candle for your friend tonight when I light one for my daughter.

Tammy

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:12am
post #18 of 40

VEGGIE BEEF SOUP.
3 medium red potatoes cut into small chunks with skin on
1 1/2 lbs. stew meat
2 12 oz frozen veggies soup mix-says that on package just ass. of veggies already cut.
1 can of tomatoes with onions and celery
6 tablespoons dried onions
black pepper to taste
1/8c lawry's seasoned salt
Throw it all in a crock pot and add enough water to cover veggies and meat and cook for about 5 hours. Good with any type of bread on side. Freezes wonderfully. Easy to put in a pan on stove and just reheat.

Hopefully this is something you can cook while you are doing something else you need to do.

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

melissaanne Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:03am
post #19 of 40

Tammy,
I hope your daughter is going to be alright.
And, thank you so much for your recipes. Lots of inspiration here!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:06am
post #20 of 40

I pray that child comes thru this ordeal, I pray that the parents are able to cope will all the worry, and you Melissaanne, you define the word FRIEND! Posting this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine.
This will freeze well, maybe put portions in butter bowls for a quick and easy meal.

SOUTHWEST SHREDDED BEEF

Ingredients
1 3- to 3-1/2- pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 14-1/2-ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 7-ounce can chopped green chili peppers or two 4-1/2-ounce cans chopped green chili peppers
2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro

Directions
1. Trim fat from meat. In a small bowl combine cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Rub mixture generously into both sides of meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 4- or 4-1/2-quart slow cooker. Place meat in cooker. Add onion, undrained tomatoes, chili peppers, and, if desired, jalapeno peppers.

2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Remove meat from slow cooker, reserving juices. Using two forks, shred the meat. Return meat to cooker; heat through. Stir in cilantro.

dl5crew Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:14am
post #21 of 40

Just a thought. I'm sure the parents are beyond busy. i was given this website by a friend. Thought the family might like it.
www.caringbridge.org
the family can create an online journal for family & friends to stay up to date on what's going on. This is free, to my knowledge, which I think is wonderful. I know of two kids who i try to look at every now & then. All of these kids being sick, completely tears me apart. I hang on to the knowledge that God is in control. He knows what's best. Especially when I don't understand.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:17am
post #22 of 40

a large pot of chicken soup...divide in half

to one half add cooked pasta(egg noodles)...chicken noodle soup.

the other half, place in a casserole dish and cover the top with buttermilk biscuit dough and bake. Let cool, wrap and store in freezer.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:25am
post #23 of 40

What a good friend you are!!! I am happy to help out..
It is a super easy and good too..
Comes from the Looney Spoons Cookbook..weird recipe name but tastes super...

SIZZLING RIVALRY
4 MED RED POTATOES UNPEELED AND CUT INTO CUBES
1 LB CHICKEN BREASTS (OR THIGHS ETC) CUT INTO 1" CUBES
1 TBSP VEGETABLE OIL
1 CUP CORN (I USE FROZEN)
1 CAN BLACK BEANS (14OZ)..DRAIN AND RINSE
3/4 CUP CHOPPED GREEN ONIONS
2 CUPS SALSA (MILD, MED OR HOT)
1/4 CUP CILANTRO (IF YOU LIKE IT)

COOK POTATOES FOR ABOUT 15 MIN TILL TENDER
COOK CHICKEN IN PAN WITH OIL WHILE SPUDS ARE COOKING
WHEN CHICKEN IS COOKED AND POTATOES ARE DONE, ADD THEM TOGETHER WITH EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE CHICKEN PAN AND COOK TILL HEATED THRU...THE SALSA ADDS ENOUGH SEASONING BUT SOMETIMES I ADD CHILI POWDER OR CUMIN FOR A BIT OF EXTRA TASTE..

THIS FREEZES WELL BECAUSE I OFTEN MAKE THIS AND PORTION IT OUT FOR WORK LUNCHES IN THE WINTER..

SugarFairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFairy Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:28am
post #24 of 40

This is one of my family's fave meals

Cashew Chicken Cassarole

I use

4 grilled chicken breasts
1 large Onion
1 Small Package of chopped celery ( same amount of onions )
1 Can of Mushroom Soup
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
6- 10 dashes of Tabsco sauce ( to taste)

put it in a 350 Degree oven till the cassarole bubbles ( the onions and celery should cook in the process ) about 10- 15 mins

Take a can of cashew halves ( enough to cover top of cassarole)
and a bag of crispy CHineese noodles * use a large ziploc bag and combine them give them a good shake *

Then top the cassarole with the mixture. Put back in the oven and let the noodles and cashews become crispy and warm ( about 5- 7 mins ) .

Let cool and serve =)

its even better the next day when everything melds together ! =)

hope this helps=)

Monica

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:29am
post #25 of 40

I wish that I could send the finished product to you instead of just the recipe.

Hearty Ham Casserole

2 c ham
2 c diced cooked potatoes
1 can (15 ¼ oz) whole kernel corn
¼ c minced fresh parsley
1 T chopped onion
¼ c butter
1/3 c flour
1 ¾ c milk
1/8 t pepper
1 c (4 oz) shredded cheddar or cubed velveeta

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Saute onion in butter for 2 minutes; stir in flour. Gradually add milk and pepper. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour over ham mixture and stir. Transfer to a greased 11 X 7 baking dish.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until cheese is melted. 4-6 servings

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:37am
post #26 of 40

We don't freeze much because I am a frozen food znob! However witht hat being said...this recipe does well in the freezer and can go a long way.
BEEF RICE BBQ SAUCE
Just like the title states.
Pack of beef cubes (cut each cube smaller) or use stirfry beef
white rice
favorite BBQ sauce

Brown the meat in a pan. Take half a bottle of BBQ sauce and thin it down with a splash of water. Let the meat simmer in the BBQ sauce until thick. In the meantime cook the white rice. Place rice in bowl then spoon beef and BBQ sauce over rice. It's really that simple. (this recipe came from a late night of partying and that was literally all that was in the house haha) Enjoy!

Also I had a friend who lost a small child to heart complications at the age of 2. After her my friend came to terms with her loss she would say the most comforting things were when we cleaned her house, washed her clothes and delived home cooked meals to the hospital. You are doing an amazing job and just remember to tell your friend, you know there is nothing you can do to help her child but you love her and are willing to listen. Let her be happy angry or whatever she needs. I will keep them in my prayers!

chonrath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chonrath Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:39am
post #27 of 40

Wow - that is so nice of you. I bet they appreciate such a caring friend!

I can relate to not knowing what to make - happens all the time here. Someone already gave you meatloaf. Mac and cheese is a big favorite here as is baked ziti. Ziti is pretty easy if you use canned/jarred sauce (or doctor it).

Mac and cheese is a favorite and it freezes really well. I found this recipe posted here by rezzycakes. It sounds soooo good; I am going to try it this week.

Quote:
Quote:

Jmcakes, this is my signature recipe for baked mac n' cheese;
1 lb box macaroni
3 cups shredded cheddar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sour cream

Boil macaroni according to directions, drain but do not rinse
place back into the still warm pot you boiled the mac in (not on the burner)
add 1/4 cup butter cut into tablespoons and mix until melted
Add 2-3/4 cup of the shredded cheese and mix.
Add sour cream and mix until cheese begins to get stringy starts to melt a bit.

Pour the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish or casserole dish. sprinkle top with remaining cheese. Dot with remaining butter. Bake @375 F. degrees until browned a bit and bubbly on top.

Sometimes I sprinkle the top with cracker crumbs and/or a very small amount of fresh nutmeg before placing into the oven.

HTH Bless you for being so kind.

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:50am
post #28 of 40

Here's one that freezes well and is chock full of veggies. Yummy too! My neighbor made me one when I had our 4th baby and I now make them double when I make for dinner so I can freeze one for an easy meal later. We will keep him in our thoughts and prayers as well. Please let us know how everything goes.

- Paula

Classic Pot Pie

Crust
1 15oz.pkg. Refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package.

Filling
1/3 cup butter ¼ t. garlic powder
1/3 cup chopped onion ¼ t. paprika
1/3 cup flour ¼ t. ground sage
½ t. salt 2/3 cup Half & Half * or whipping cream
¼ t. pepper 2 ½-3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
2 cups chicken broth 2 cups frozen mixed veggies, partially cooked

Heat oven to 375. Place bottom crust in 9 pie pan and place in refrigerator.

In medium sauce pan, cook onions in butter until tender. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and sage until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and half & half, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. Add chicken and mixed veggies; mix well. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Spoon into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.

Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

* If the recipe is too rich with you using half & half, you can use regular milk or a mixture of both. Also, you can boil chicken in water with chicken bullion for the broth or you can buy a 16 oz. Can of chicken broth.

If you are freezing the pot pie. Let the filling cool well before spooning into crust-lined pan and putting on top crust. If the filling is too hot, it will mess up the top crust, like makes it runny.[/u]

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:54am
post #29 of 40

This is more than likely trite, but it freezes well. Also you can make multiples of this recipe and pack servings in a zip lock freezer bags. Run hot water over the bag to release frozen chili from the bag and zap in the microwave.

Chili

1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb. ground chuck
1 can tomatoes, diced
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can tomato sauce
1 can water
salt to taste
½ tsp. sugar
1 to 2 Tbs. chili powder
Brown onions and chuck. Remove excess fat if needed. Add tomatoes, sauce, water and beans. Add sugar, chili powder and salt. Simmer ½ hr. or so.

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 5:05am
post #30 of 40

I just thought of another one that freezes well but I had to go look it up in our church cook book...

New York Spaghetti Pie

8 oz spaghetti
2 eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 T butter
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (optional)
1/2 cup chopped onion (or less if you don't like a lot of onion)
1 cup sour cream
1 lb bulk sausage (we just use hamburger instead)
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 cup water
4 oz mozzarella cheese

Break spaghetti in half and cook in water per package directions. Drain and set aside. Beat eggs and add Parmesan cheese and toss with warm spaghetti. Put spaghetti mixture into a greased 10 inch pie pan (we use a glass pan). Melt butter in a medium skillet an add green peppers and onion, saute for 5-7 minutes (do not brown) add in sour cream and mix well and spoon over spaghetti. Cook sausage and drain off grease. Add tomato paste mixture with water to sausage and simmer for 10 minutes and spoon tomato sauce over sour cream mixture. If freezing allow to completely cool top with mozzarella cheese and wrap well and freeze.

Before cooking finally allow it to thaw completely and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. You could also wait to add the cheese till after baking, just wrap up a package of mozzarella with your pie when you freeze it and it will all be there. Top with the cheese after baking for 25 minutes and pop it back in for 4-5 min until just melted and slightly brown

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%