3D Dog Cake

Decorating By amazingcakeideas Updated 8 Mar 2013 , 5:01pm by von2

amazingcakeideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazingcakeideas Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone made such a cake? Can you please share your experience/tips for making one?

Thanks!

12 replies
dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 13

I'm pretty sure some are in the galleries. I will try to find one for you. I haven't made any.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 13

Ok. Found one in galleries. under 3-d cakes page two. I think it was called chocopuppy. I apologize, I can't get it loaded here on the post.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazingcakeideas Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:16am
post #5 of 13

Merrisa - what is your cake covered with? It's sooo cute! The customer probably had a hard time cutting into it.

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:22am
post #6 of 13

I used the Wilton 3D lamb pan and added fondant ears to make it look like a dog lying down. I don't have the picture loaded on this compter but I will try and scan it in when I get a chance. Let me know if I can help PM me for details.

amazingcakeideas Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:29am
post #7 of 13

I prefer to carve. Personally, I don't like the wilton cake pans, and it's kind of expenssive to buy special pans for each cake shape. Easier to carve icon_smile.gif. I'd love to see a picture of your cake, is it in the galleries?

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:31am
post #8 of 13

Here is a photo of one that I did. My instructions were to use the egg shaped pan, but I don't have it, so I used a bunch of round pans that I cut in half. If you want more instructions, let me know.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=fmandds&cat=0&pos=4

amazingcakeideas Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:37am
post #9 of 13

I love the "fur".
I think I can tell what cake went into which body part, but I'll deffinately PM you if I'll need more instruction. This cake is for Dec 9th, so I have some time to think about how to make it.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 11:50am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingcakeideas

Merrisa - what is your cake covered with? It's sooo cute! The customer probably had a hard time cutting into it.

Thanks, it is buttercream using the grass tip

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 13

Hi there. I made one too - it was so much fun, and much easier than I thought it would be. Here is a link to it, plus there is another view in my photos.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=gakali&cat=0&pos=10

Basically, I used half of the Wilton sports ball pan for the head (carved it a bit), and the other half for the "haunches". I used a 9 X 13 for the body. I shaped it and cut it shorter and used the excess for the front legs, the lower part of the back legs, the tail, and the snout (the excess from the Wilton sports ball pan was used for some of those parts too - can't remember exactly). I padded the rump a little with the excess I had cut off the 9 X 13 when I levelled it. Then I used tip 233 for the hair, starting at the bottom and working up. I used fondant for the eyes and nose - and that's about it! It was a lot of fun to make. If you want more suggestions on how to make one, you might want to try PM'ing cindy6250 or tripletmom - their instructions were very helpful to me! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
von2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
von2 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 13

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%