Chocolate Wraps

Decorating By misterc Updated 29 Dec 2006 , 6:09pm by GIAcakes

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 6:06am
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2csc

can you send me the instructions? I'm dying to try this. tia

Did you want the instructions to the all white one or the one with the colored flowers?

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 6:27am
post #32 of 57

We are keeping you busy Shirley!!

Thanks!!

mom2csc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2csc Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 6:35am
post #33 of 57

i meant the all white one.
thanks

misterc Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 8:41pm
post #34 of 57

ShirleyW gave me wonderful instructions on this so I will try to do her justice. Bake and frost your cake as normal and then set aside(I chill mine). Cut strip of acetate paper to the height you want and make sure it is long enough to go around the cake with a little overlap. Melt your chocolate (guittard or other high quality chocolate) slowly and stir to make sure it is melted completely. Then pour and spread over strip of acetate. You don't want it so thick that it is goopy but you don't want to see through to the acetate either. It doesn't matter if it goes over the edges. Before it starts to set completly carefully pick up top two corners. I let the middle of the acetate strip set on the cake board right up next to the cake and then wrap one side around and then the other. Don't smooth the sides as this will make your wrap wavy. Let set up in fridge and then gently pull the acetate away from the chocolate. Viola! A beautiful wrap should be right before your eyes! Good luck!

misterc Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #35 of 57

I just did another one today and I also experimented with chocolate clay. The wraps are so much fun! I hope everyone who hasn't done one will try!!! Merry Christmas!
LL

Lybby2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lybby2000 Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 11:47pm
post #36 of 57

Oh My!! I just have to say I'm totally trying this tomorrow!

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 10:35am
post #37 of 57

Is it tough to cut a cake wrapped with this?

Does it set up hard - like chocolate usually does, and you have to saw through it? Or do you add some shortening to the melted chocolate to keep it softer?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 3:40pm
post #38 of 57

If you temper the chocolate you don't add anything to it. If you aren't tempering you can add vegetable oil or melted cocoa butter to make the chocolate more pliable, it also adds a bit of shine to the finished wrap. When you cut the cake if you warm the kinfe in hot water, wipe it dry and then cut the chocolate it cuts easily. Some of it will shatter, but you can just add the pieces on the serving plate along with the cake slice.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 4:14pm
post #39 of 57

I'm going to try this and I was wondering if you can cover the entire cake with this method? like fondant?

ShirleyW Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 5:08pm
post #40 of 57

Tina, you would have to do the wrap and then do a top separately and you would have a seam that would show where they join.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 6:56pm
post #41 of 57

I covered a cheesecake with this, one piece with no seam between top and side. I started with Shirley's directions for melting and paper, but instead made a template and covered that. The seams were actually at the edges where the corners were "glued" together. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_87584.html

I would think a square cake would be much easier than a round, as there are actual seams to meet at the corners.

ShirleyW Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 7:01pm
post #42 of 57

I had forgotten about you doing that. So it looks like it could be done on a square in one piece. But on a round I don't think you could get it all on in one piece where it was smooth and contured to the shape of the cake without wrinkles, especially if the cake were a standard 4" high. But then again, I have not tried it and the only way we'll know is if someone wants to experiment. Which one of you is willing to step up to the plate? icon_biggrin.gif

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 7:25pm
post #43 of 57

I nominate Shirley for the experiment. all in favor give a thumbs up thumbs_up.gif

ShirleyW Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 7:28pm
post #44 of 57

I'll get you for that my pretty, and your little dog too! icon_wink.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 7:35pm
post #45 of 57

LOL I wouldn't expect it to work on a round, either. BUT you could do the top and sides separate, and melt the seam with a hot spoon to seal, right?

ShirleyW Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 7:37pm
post #46 of 57

If you hand a steady hand I think you could pipe melted chocolate into the seam and smooth it with your fingertip.

And Misty, I am sorry. We seem to have hijacked your thread here.

misterc Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 2:01am
post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

If you hand a steady hand I think you could pipe melted chocolate into the seam and smooth it with your fingertip.

And Misty, I am sorry. We seem to have hijacked your thread here.

Don't worry about it! This is interesting!

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:30am
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

I'm going to try this and I was wondering if you can cover the entire cake with this method? like fondant?

Hello everyone ...

Great thread!

If you use chocolate clay, then yes you can cover a whole cake, just like fondant.
I roll the clay out on cellophane; then carefully place it on the cake & smooth it out slightly, before removing the cellophane. The rest is just like working with chocolate fondant. For anyone who is afraid to try the chocolate wrap and/or chocolate clay, then chocolate fondant is a viable alternative.

I watched the video that was at the start of this discuss & completely agree with Shirley's assessment.
I strongly disagree with putting the strip in the fridge too; chocolate which is spread that thinly will harden very quickly & break when you try to bend it to the shape of the cake; leaving it at room temperature until starting to set is a safer bet. Refrigerating the cake once the wrap is in place will let the chocolate 'shrink' to the exact size & shape of the cake. Once completely set, the acetate (parchement or wax paper) will easily peel away.
I have also made wraps with messages. ie: "I LOVE YOU" in red on a white background, wrapped around a Valentine's cake; or one of my favorites: diagonal stripes in 2-3 colors. They always look great & impressive.
The other thing I love about chocolate wraps is that you can easily wrap any odd shaped cakes beautifully & smoothly in very little time compared to smooth icing BC.
OK, I'm rambling... it's just that I really love chocolate
ciao

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 3:58am
post #49 of 57

fascination- how do you do multi colored stripes? Thanks! jenni

jlmaison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmaison Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:03am
post #50 of 57

This is great and I was wondering if someone could explaing how you do the multi coloured strips or like someone mentioned earlier with the words or with the gold dust...this is great I want to try this! Jen

Fascination Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:31am
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes

fascination- how do you do multi colored stripes? Thanks! jenni

Hello GIAcakes

I actually have an instructions document explaining the method, however, one of my laptops is down & I can not access the data. If you don't need it right away, I will post it (assuming it is not lost) as soon as my computer is fixed.
I originally found it on internet; if my copy is lost, I will either write up a an abridged version for you, or try to find it again on the web.
thank you for your patience.
ciao for now

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:34am
post #52 of 57

Okay, I know that everyone is going to think that I am weird when I ask this question icon_redface.gif but, what is tempering?

I've never worked with chocolate before except for the candy melts from Wilton.

jlmaison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmaison Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:43am
post #53 of 57

Thanks GIA I can't wait!

Fascination Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:55am
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmaison

This is great and I was wondering if someone could explaing how you do the multi coloured strips or like someone mentioned earlier with the words or with the gold dust...this is great I want to try this! Jen

Hello jlmaison

See my last msg to GIAcakes regarding the stripes.

As for the writing, there may be other ways, but this is what I do.

1) prepare your acetate (cut to height & length reqired) & place on a board.
2) write out your message
if using a computer & printer, do this in reverse print
if doing my hand write the msg, flip your paper over & trace the writing in reverse.
3) place the acetate over the paper with the message; make sure the message is centered.
4) melt small amont of chocolate (color A) - let cool slightly
5) melt chocolate (color B) - let cool,
6) place chocolate (color A) in piping bag fitted with tip number 2 or 3
7) carefully pipe over the written message
8 ) let this set completely
9) make sure remaining chocolate (color B) is completely cool, but still spreadable. Pour some gently over the acetate.
10) using offset spatula, spread to cover the whole strip; be gentle, do not press hard enough to disturb the writing. Lift board and gently tap it on the edge of the table (this will help spread out the chocolate, smooth it out & ensure no air holes/bubbles exist.
11) leave to set slightly.
12) lift & gently wrap around the cake as per instructions posted earlier.

that's about it... it's really easier than it sounds. Let me know when you try it.
feel free to ask questions (sorry that I do not have a photo to share)

ciao for now.

Fascination Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 6:03am
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Okay, I know that everyone is going to think that I am weird when I ask this question icon_redface.gif but, what is tempering?

I've never worked with chocolate before except for the candy melts from Wilton.

hello
nothing weird about asking questions!
Check this site for a perfect definition and method.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?&type=content&id=channel160025&page=1

Candy melts will work well when making a cake wrap.

ciao

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 6:23am
post #56 of 57

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 6:09pm
post #57 of 57

Fascination, I am in no hurry. So whenever you get the data just let us know! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%