No More Number Pans From Wilton?????

Decorating By Ladivacrj Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 9:32pm by baergarivera

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 32

Have I been living in the clouds or what?

Just found out that Wilton is no longer making the number pans. The only one available is literally the number 1.

This is not making me happy, just go an order for a number 3 birthday cake.

What in the sam-goody am I going to do now?

31 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 32

have you looked on ebay? There are thousands of wilton pans for sale there. Good luck!

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 32

you could shape out a number 3 from a sheet cake, not as easy as doing it straight from a pan but still works.

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 32

Carve it?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 32

No need to worry

here is a link to show you how to make number cakes

http://sdbytracy.com/numbercakes.htm

or you can buy this pan to make any number, go down all most to the bottom to see

http://fantes.com/cake_pans_shapes.htm

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 32

From the Wilton forums:

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:44 PM

I spoke to wiltons customer sevice and they stated that if enough customers request the number set they will bring them back. So let's start a campaign to get the number set back as a classic set...........

_________

Everyone PLEASE call Wilton and ask for these back.

Some of us NEEEEEED this set and there are not enough people calling and asking for them to bring it back.

Thank you.

Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St.
Woodridge, IL 60517

Phone: 630-963-1818 or 800-794-5866

Fax: 630-963-7196 or 888-824-9520

Email: [email protected]

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 32

My local cake shop also rents out pans, I would imagine they might have some numbers, too.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 32

If you can't find a pan, two options are:

1. Use the "educated pan" that has little inserts that allow you to make shaped cakes. (I've never actually used this, just seen it at the local cake supply store.)

2.Carve the cake from basic shapes (round/sheet). Doug posted a template for this: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=download&id=12643

HTH

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 32

You could always print out the number in Microsoft Word using the block letters font and use that as a template for carving. That's what I do.

Ladivacrj Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 32

Thank you guys, I have already found a font (called Snap) that I like.

I will have to curve it, but let me go on the record right now that this really sucks!!!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 32

whenever wilton stops making something usually another company steps up with thier own version or such. i'm sure with some internet searching you "might" be able to find some .. (crosses fingers)

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 32

I purchased a 'plastic' type pan to make the number 3. You can use it to bake - just sit it on a sheet pan. Wish you were nearby. I never used it for my son's 3rd birthday. I don't think it's wilton but I did get it from the cake shop. It's white plastic about 10" long and maybe 5" at the widest point.

Ladivacrj Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 32

Thank you Cakerer:

I found one as well at a local shop, but it seems a little small. What do you think about it's size?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:

The first listing is the small numbers pan set. It usually sells for around $70 for the complete set. I bought my daughter the large and small educated pan sets for making numbers. Don't know if she has ever used them or not. I got them off of ebay a couple of years ago.

Now I have restricted my ebay viewing. Money ran out........ icon_cry.gif

Diane

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 32

Oh I never even noticed the sizes of those pans! Sorry 'bout that!! icon_redface.gif

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:49pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

No need to worry

here is a link to show you how to make number cakes

http://sdbytracy.com/numbercakes.htm

or you can buy this pan to make any number, go down all most to the bottom to see

http://fantes.com/cake_pans_shapes.htm

Thanks for those links justsweet!

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #18 of 32

I LOVE the Burville educated pan cake set!!!

I grew up using it with my mom for all the big family birthdays. We only had the large one (which is no longer made) and it took 1 standard cake mix. Even came with a really good recipe for a white cake. And it has lasted for ever. I can't even count how many cakes where made it in and how well the non-stick finish has stood up.

Since she wouldn't give hers up I just bought a set with both the small and large ones for $20 on ebay. Since the larger one is no longer available, ebay and garage sales are great places to look. Yes it gives the block letters, but it makes it really easy to carve into the right shapes... plus you can make so many other shapes with it other than numbers and letters.

lionladydi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:42pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by crislen

I LOVE the Burville educated pan cake set!!!

Since she wouldn't give hers up I just bought a set with both the small and large ones for $20 on ebay.

You got a good bargain for that price! I don't do enough cakes to justify having them so bought them for my daughter and gave much more than that for them.

Diane

crislen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

You got a good bargain for that price! I don't do enough cakes to justify having them so bought them for my daughter and gave much more than that for them.

Diane

Thanks! I've been watching them on ebay for a couple of years and found one with a $20 bid with 30 seconds left on the auction. I'm such a meanie icon_biggrin.gif

Does your daughter like hers?

I can post a picture for others when I get mine if anyone doesn't know how this set works!

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:44pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladivacrj

Thank you Cakerer:

I found one as well at a local shop, but it seems a little small. What do you think about it's size?

I purchased it to bake a separate cake to place on top of a sheet cake - or maybe an oval or circle. I never actually used it, so my thoughts didn't go much further.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:24am
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by crislen

........I grew up using it with my mom for all the big family birthdays. We only had the large one........

In order to be sure I'm buying the "large one" could you please tell me what size the pan is? Are there a different amount of blocks than the smaller one?
Thanks,
Susie

Ladivacrj Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:16pm
post #24 of 32

Thank you all for the great info on finding pans.

I did print one out, bake and carved last night. I will decorate today.

I have to admit, it was not bad at all. I was on the phone while I carved and it only took about 5 minutes.

I am happy with it. I will post a pic when it is complete.

Thanks again

crislen Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:23pm
post #25 of 32

[quote="susies1955
In order to be sure I'm buying the "large one" could you please tell me what size the pan is? Are there a different amount of blocks than the smaller one?
Thanks,
Susie[/quote]

The big one is approx. 14" x 8" and is 2" deep. It should come with the 2" blocks.

The link for the ebay listings is great - many of them show really good pictures!

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:23pm
post #26 of 32

Thanks for letting me know the size of the large. icon_smile.gif
Susie

Ladivacrj Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:39pm
post #27 of 32

It is done. I like how it turned out, hopefully my customer and her daughter will also enjoy it.

I have added it to my photos.

Thanks again everyone.

lionladydi Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:14am
post #28 of 32

To heck with that #3 cake (which is beautiful), send me a piece of that turtle cheesecake. I'm drooling all over my keyboard. icon_lol.gif

Diane

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:28am
post #29 of 32

Great job it's very pretty. Glad the printing and carving worked out for you, I've used that method many times icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #30 of 32

Wow, nice job on the #3!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%