Ever Hosted A Cookie Exchange?

Lounge By CambriasCakes Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm by FrostinGal

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 7:23am
post #1 of 10

I know, I know...it's only September but I'm already thinking of hosting a Christmas cookie exchange this holiday season. (Hey, I was thinking of Halloween in July - that's just how I am!) Anyhow, I've only ever hosted one once before and that was at work. Have you ever hosted one and if so, how do you go about your exchange? Any ideas??

9 replies
Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:42am
post #2 of 10

We do this every year at work.
We send out a message that who ever wanted to join sign up. Then everyone makes 6 cookies per person. Then on a certian day everyone brings in all of their cookies, either seperatly packaed or on a big platter and we take our 6 off of that platter. Depending on how many people decide to "play" will determine how many dozen cookies you need to bring.

You could also have everyone put the recipe for their cookie if they want to.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't hosted one but I'm just popping in to say that I think it would be a great idea. Depending on how many people sign up, it might be nice to have at least 12 cookies per person. icon_smile.gif

Definitely have people provide copies of their recipes for everyone.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 10

Yup done one several times..........depending on how many people come we gave each other 6-8 cookies (cause if there was a bunch of ppl like me you didnt want to have to bring in 16 dz cookies)!!!! I did pecan sandies (well that is what we call them) one year and since those are little ball type cookies I did make more of them so they got 10-12 (because a lot more are made in every batch than a standard cookie).

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 10

My neighbors had one where the men had to bring a bottle of liquor and recipe, too, and they made drinks while the women did the cookies.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 10

Michellenj - so it was like a booze exchange too?? SWEET! I'm all for it and my husband would love that too!

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 10

This might help. I have one every year!

http://www.robinsweb.com/cookies/index.html

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, it was a booze exchange! lol I guess it's a good idea to get them liquored up so they can tolerate a cookie exchange. But then at midnight they all come in and gorge on the cookies. icon_biggrin.gif I've woken up after parties to bites out of blocks of cheese and demolished cakes.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 10

My Bunco group does this every year. First, everyone brings 6 dozen cookies and copies of the recipe.

Everyone brings an ornament valued at $10 or less and we do a Chinese gift exchange first. It is the most fun part of the evening!

Then, we walk around the table, filling our containers with cookies.

Here's how I do it. I bring a large plastic container filled with paper loaf pan liners. I fill each liner with cookies. Before I started doing it this way, the mint cookies would contaminate the oatmeal cookies... the fruit cookies would smear on the brownies... you get the idea!

The hostess always has sturdy paper plates (like Chinette or Hefty) and plastic wrap available for those who forgot to bring a container. Make sure you remind your guests that the platter or container they bring their cookies in will be on the table and can't be used to collect the other cookies.

The hostess provides beverages, usually a homemade punch of some sort, coffee and some little salty snacks, veggies, fruit, etc.. Some people don't want to fill up on cookies until they get home. hehehe

Have fun!!!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 10

I am already signed up for two exchanges at work! I found this planner online last year, and am thinking of hosting my own this year.
http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/web/pdfs/pdf1/cookie_swap_planner_2006.pdf
Christmas is cooooom-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing! I'm so excited!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%