Cake Made To Look Like Childrens' Game!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 28 Jul 2005 , 7:17pm by mrsrunning

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone ever made a cake real or dummy to look like a childrens' board game? I'm curious because I had a brainstorm yesterday. I'm in the beginning stages of planning my next entries to the San Diego Cake Club Confections on Parade show next March. I'm actually going to be brave enough to do a cake this time and a stacked one at that. All the cakes are dummies of course. Anyway, I bought my son Candy Land yesterday and the game board is so colorful that I thought it would be neat to mimic this on a cake. I'd like to put it on a multi-tiered stacked cake instead of a boring ol' sheet cake.

I have to start modeling everything for it now and storing it so the colors don't fade between now and then.

If anyone has done anything like this I would love to see any pictures and since I am completely inexperienced at fondant modeling how should I go about storing them so the colors don't fade or get broken before the show?

Thank you in advance,

Amy

10 replies
Dannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dannie Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 11

I was browsing this site yesterday and clicked on one of the links and saw a candyland cake. I think the website was www.sweetconstructions.com

Dannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dannie Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 11

Yep, its there. Look under "childrens cakes"

cakemommy Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 11

Very cute! I like it! Good memory about seeing it BTW! I want to do the cake entirely in fondant. I want to keep it crisp and vibrant! Making the figures for it will be a challenge for me though. How do you model anything with fingernails is what I want to know!!!!! Last time I tried they kept getting in the way and making marks I didn't need.

Amy

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 11

I've just seen a cake like that somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where. I'll keep trying to find it.

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 11

Here are some ideas
LL
LL

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 11

It seems like someone here just made and posted a pic of a Candyland cake a week or two ago. I can't remember for sure, but I'll look around. It's a cute idea, and I bet a lot of fun to make!

cakemommy Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 11

Oh, I like these!!! Thanks everyone!!! Keep looking and I'll do the same! I'm really excited and inspired to do this. I've done the cake show the last two years and have entered a non-cake category both times so this time I'm going to enter a cake for sure and I want to make it GREAT!!!!!!!!

Everyone here has inspired me to do so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 11

I would do a Monpoly game in San Diego style, Like the proerties could be Sea World, Old Town, etc. The railroads could be Petco Park, Qualcomm I think that would be really neat

edit: after writing this I thought I had seen this somewhere else googled it and found this pic
LL

cakemommy Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 11

Very cool idea! My sister is in San Diego and she has the game. Maybe she could do one as well.

BTW, I live right around the corner from you, well, in Port Orchard!!!

Amy

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 11

Very neat, I really don't know much about Washington we moved here with the USS Stennis in December. I want to go to this B&B in Port Orchad

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%