Today Show Wedding Cake Choices

Decorating By Staceface81 Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 9:44pm by 2bMe

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 76

Did anyone see the segment this morning about wedding cakes on Today Throws a Wedding??? You have to chose between the 4 cakes shown for the couple's wedding cake. The reception is going to be in Tiffany's in NYC, so I think the Tiffany blue cake is the most appropriate. icon_smile.gif What did everyone else vote for and why?
Here is the link:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19915231/

75 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 76

I voted for the Wendy Kromer Tiffany blue cake also. Honestly, while all have some difficult icing techniques very well executed, I really didn't like the look of any of them (if it were my wedding). But I voted for this one based on the flavor - the pear filling sounds delicate but slightly unexpected. Yum!

Staceface81 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 76

I thought that the cupcake option wasn't pretty at all! I normally like cupcake cakes for weddings, but the stand just wasn't doing it for me. This is a formal wedding and that was NOT a formal stand. Was that only strange to me?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 76

I thought the same thing! I adore cupcakes and think they would be great for a wedding but I didn't like those at all.

Staceface81 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 76

The wedding cakes on CC are much better.....where was our representation????? icon_smile.gif

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 76

I voted for the Tiffany blue one. I agree the cupcake stand was awful. While Sylvia's flowers were gorgeous I didn't like the style of the cake.Her work is gorgeous though.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 76

I hate to say it, but I didn't like either one of them.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 76

i voted for Wendy Kromer's Cake..it had alot of detail and i liked that..didnt really like the color though..I didnt care for any of the rest of them

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 76

You guys ROCK ! Wendy is a local around here.... she has a shop not far from my house.......

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 76

Yes, the Tiffany-blue cake for sure. I couldn't see the cupcakes up close to see the embellishments, but I was not overly impressed. I liked the fourth cake (satin stripes) but so many people do not like coconut, so that automatically was an out in my opinion.

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 76

Not really crazy about any of them, but would vote for the blue tiffany one.

Staceface81 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 76

If we all vote for Wendy's cake, maybe it will win! icon_smile.gif

rhiannon1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhiannon1979 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 76

I totally agree with all of you. I did not really like any of them. The cupcake one was the worst one of all. I think that they could have picked a few better cakes to display for this wedding. I could pick a bunch of beautiful cakes right here on this site that would be better than any of those cakes.

Staceface81 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:13pm
post #14 of 76

I expected more from Martha Stewart. I thought the cakes would JUMP out.....she could have done better.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 76

I voted for Sylvia Weinstock's cake. Her sugar flowers are amazing and I love how the colors are light and playful - not to mention, will match the bridesmaids' dresses. And I like the flavor choices. Probably make the most guests happy. Second choice would be the blue Tiffany. Gorgeous, elegant cake, and the vanilla bean/pear sounds good, but I like that Sylvia's cake is a less literal Tiffany.

I didn't really like the look of the cupcakes - but they sure sound good to eat. Keep those out for those of us who don't get to go to the wedding icon_smile.gif.

Staceface81 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:33pm
post #16 of 76

Does anyone know how you make the icing look like "clouds" on top of those cupcakes?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dydemus

I didn't really like the look of the cupcakes - but they sure sound good to eat. Keep those out for those of us who don't get to go to the wedding icon_smile.gif.

Cupcakes at a Wedding remind me of Trailer Trash...sorry cupcakers!! sorry!! but I agree with Dydemus! Let's snack on the cupcakes while we are all watching Today Show! icon_lol.gif

I voted Wendi cake based on style, appearance is not too overdramatic, but especially because I just really really badly want a piece of the cake to EAT! It sounds absolutely devine. If she didn't have the blue color...in my book...it would be perfect!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:42pm
post #18 of 76

I just voted for Sylvia Weinstock's cake. I like that it is buttercream and the cake/filling flavors sound yummy. Her flower work is as always stunning. I agree the cupcakes are just so so.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:44pm
post #19 of 76

I like the Tiffany Blue one - pear filling sounds yummy.

I hate coconut and I'd be royally annoyed if I went to a wedding and the cake was all coconut and I couldn't taste it.

Stacy...I'd like to know the answer too.

I thought the write up to Sylvia Weinstock's cake was a little childish - "The cake is iced in buttercream, not fondant that has to be peeled away to eat" It was a dig at the other cakes.

Staceface81 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:46pm
post #20 of 76

LOL.......was Sylvia's cake made with Wilton fondant? icon_smile.gif Otherwise, I think fondant tastes pretty good.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:48pm
post #21 of 76

I really wasn't thrilled with any of them. I guess my taste is different. Out of all though, I like Wendy's design. For me personally, if these are the options I had to choose from, I'd be disappointed. A cupcake cake is not elegant enough for a Tiffany wedding, IMO. None of them jumped out at me, like the previous Today show weddings have.

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:52pm
post #22 of 76

sylvia's cake!! anyone that can do that with buttercream is the bomb........needless to say my buttercream frosted cakes look sloppy icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:03am
post #23 of 76

I voted for Wendy's. I guess the look is something I can picture at tiffanys! But they are all kind of blah - many on CC are so much more suitable IMHO.

Quote:
Quote:

I thought the write up to Sylvia Weinstock's cake was a little childish - "The cake is iced in buttercream, not fondant that has to be peeled away to eat" It was a dig at the other cakes.

Agreed! That just sounded so immature - I wonder who was responsible for writing these descriptions and if they've ever had good fondant! None of the other descriptions had that type of jab at the other cakes. It made me not want to vote for that cake.

Staceface81 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:05am
post #24 of 76

Maybe Martha wrote it............maybe that is HER choice, and she wanted the others to look bad? icon_smile.gif

dreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:59am
post #25 of 76

I agree although the cakes may of been created by prestigous cake designers they were all ugly! I chose Sylvia Weinstock , but if i had a choice for my wedding those would not be an option.

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:17am
post #26 of 76

I agree with most posters that the cakes were not up to my expectations. I think the cupcake display looked like it was being served on a set of TV trays. I understand that they were trying to capture the look of the Tiffany box, just not my cup of tea. I was torn betwen Sylvia's and Wendy
s cakes, so I let my daughter decide. She chose Sylvia's. Should have guessed she loves flowers.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:19am
post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

I thought this funny too!! You should hear how bad they talk about fondant on the knot!! It is insane!! A lot of their advice is good and sensible.... but come on I like my fondant!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:20am
post #28 of 76

I voted for the Tiffany Blue! Without even looking at any of the dresses! I think it will look nice and it sounded yummy!

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:43am
post #29 of 76

Do you think that the pictures are very clear and close enough?

The descriptions talk about a lot of details on the cupcakes and the Gail Watson cake that I cannot see.

The description of the Gail Watson cake says that it has a monogram H and pave dragee's separating the layers. It sounds like it should like diamonds or crystals, but the picture doesn't look like that and I did not seen an H.

ta2grl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ta2grl25 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:45am
post #30 of 76

As in pure Martha style, most of the cakes were either over the top elegant or in the case of the cupcakes, not elegant enough. She usually never has an "in between" choice but this time, I have to agree with most, the best choice was the Tiffany cake. I liked the fact that it was not too busy. The blue, well, it's blue. icon_rolleyes.gif

I voted for the Tiffany cake. Martha as usual, disappointed me again. I like to see "everyday" elegance, not "The Hamptons" elegance. Honestly, how many of us really have the money to decorate like she does?

Sorry all, just can't stand Martha. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%