Help! Having Ganache Problems...

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 28 Jul 2005 , 8:39pm by Sugar

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 5

I'm hoping someone has some tips for me. Last night I tried to make a chocolate ganache. I used equal amounts of heavy cream and choc.chips. I heated the cream and poured over the chips and stirred and stirred and stirred. It wasn't perfectly blended as i don't have an immersion blender, but I plan to chill, whip and use as a cake filling, so it doesn't have to be perfectly smooth. However, I put it in the fridge for an hour to chill and it never really set up, so i whipped it in the KA for a long time - 15 minutes or so. Well, long story short - it still looked kinda grainy. It tasted great, though. Thoroughly frustrated, I put it in the fridge and went to bed! This morning, it is very solid. I'm wondering how it's going to perform... I left a small bowl out of the fridge this morning as an experiment to see what it will do at room temp. Does anyone know what I did wrong or have any tips? As it's going to be used as filling, I want to be sure it's stable...

4 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 5

My experiences with using chocolate chips when making ganache have also not been "perfect" It seems they do not want to melt completely. Also I use less cream than chocolate..example.. 6 ounces of cream for 8 ounces of chocolate. I prefer to use a block type of chocolate that I chip or shave into pieces. It seems to melt better resulting in a smoother ganache. Leaving the ganache at room temp should result in it getting softer and you should be able to whip it and use it as your filling. Dont be alarmed when you whip it as it will get much lighter in color.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, Ging! You're right - the chips didnt' completely melt and left flecks of darker chocolate in the ganache. SInce i was using it as filling I didn't mind so much. But the ganache looked kind of curdled, even though I whipped it for at least 15 mins after it was cooled...

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 5

I think the general rule is 2 parts chocolate to one part heavy whipping cream. I heat my cream to scalding and then add the chips to the cream. It turns out smoothly each and every time (my husband loves it!).

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 5

Collette Peters uses 12 ounces of chips to 8 ounces of cream.

If it isn't melted you can put it over a double broiler for a second.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%