Poll: A Few Cake Decorator Questions

Decorating By Susan94 Updated 20 Nov 2006 , 2:45am by tcturtleshell

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 15

This will be my first poll here but I have few questions for everyone:

When it's your birthday, who makes your cake? Do you have a favorite bakery that you want your cakes from if they order you one?

What kinds of paper do you cover your cake boards if it's not the shiny floral wrap or Wilton brand paper to cover the boards? I sometimes see very pretty, elegant paper on base of cakes and wonder where you go to get it. some look like fabric! icon_biggrin.gif

If you don't have a separate kitchen and a houseful of kids, where do you keep all your cake decorating supplies?

Here are my answers:

I usually get a cake purchased from a bakery near me that is the best in the area from my husband. They have frangelica cakes, or coconut cake or hazelnut, etc. If my family makes/plans the cake they get it from a local grocery store.

I have been using the floral wrap foil or the Wilton papers to cover boards but I want to try something else after reading your answers.

My kitchen is not as big as I thought and so I have to keep 2 bins worth of cake decorating supplies and carry up from the basement whenever I have a cake to make. I store the icing in the fridge or freezer and thaw out as I need it if I had extra from last cake. cakes cool on the counters and dining room table.

14 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:07am
post #2 of 15

Hi,
I've started using scrapbooking paper to cover cardboard cakeboards with when I can. I cover it with clear/matte finish contact paper. Otherwise, I use the Wilton foil wrap.
As far as a birthday cake for me, it's been 20 years or so I guess (other than when I've been at work on my birthday) since I've gotten a birthday cake.
I have a small pantry that is absolutely crammed with baking supplies/cake decorating supplies. Then I have 4 kitchen cabinets with sugar, crisco, fondant, etc. icon_rolleyes.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:20am
post #3 of 15

I keep all of my decorating things shoved in a closet that isn't even near my kitchen (how sad is that! Ha! Ha!) and thus far, I've covered my boards either with fondant or just displayed them on the silver drums or trays. And I don't even remember if I had a b-day cake last year! I know we had a get-to-gether with family...don't remember a cake...hmmm.lol!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:21am
post #4 of 15

Currently I'm literally living out of boxes in my mother's basement/family room lol so ALL of my cake pans and supplies are in boxes. I have two boxes full of cake mixes, sugars, flour, and other items needed. Before I got so into this that I started making my own icing/buttercream, I bought 10 jars of icing LMAO that I now REFUSE to use lol.

As far as the paper, I use regular aluminum foil if it's for family or friends or a freebie cake. I recently purchased my first roll of fanci foil, from the wilton website since I can't buy it around here.... But I do plan on having ply wood cut to fit and plan to cover them with a pretty wrapping paper, and then covered with clear contact paper.

As far as a birthday cake for me.... what's that? That's new lol. In all my years since I was about 12 if I wanted a birthday cake I had to make it myself. My mom would call me on my birthday and wish me a happy birthday and then tell me to make a bundt cake for that evening for after dinner when I could open the few gifts that were given to me that day. As far as the last 10 years that me and hubby have been together I still haven't had any birthday cakes lol. But I REFUSE to eat store bought cake anymore lol. Birthday parties that we are invited to if I didn't make the cake or the family didn't make it I won't eat it. If it's store bought I'll taste it and then lie and complain I'm not feeling well but thank you lol. I just can't bring myself to eat store bakery cakes anymore they taste awful!

Anyway my long story is over now lol....

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:29am
post #5 of 15

I have been covering my cake boards with fondant. That's my favorite, and then put ribbon along the side. The last one I did, I used heart cutters and filled the board with different size hearts. I think it adds more than the foil.

My laundry room corner is filled with shopping bags of supplies and pans. No way of telling where anything is! It takes me forever when I'm searching for something and have to look through countless bags.

I usually get a store bought cheesecake for my birthday.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:32am
post #6 of 15

Hi,
Yes I have a separate kitchen in my basement. The kitchen was already installed when brought the house. I try to buy the gold foil boards, or the boards that are decorative and don't need to be covered. Even with a separate kitchen soon I will be in need of additional space to store all of my supplies. My birthday cake is brought every year by my husband.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:35am
post #7 of 15

I usually bake my own cake.

I wse everything from wrapping papers to:
Clear colored celephane wrapping,
metalic tissue ($ Tree - 3 sheets per pk)
contact paper &
3mm plastic over colored foam boards.

My children are grown, I have two 4' x 6' cabinets in my family room used only for my cake stuff.

khiggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khiggins Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:39am
post #8 of 15

My grandmother decorated cakes for over 23 years and probably was very frustrated with me when I requested cherry pie for my birthday. Now that I have grown up, I still cherish her pie and choose it over cake everytime. Especially since I am usually elbow deep in cakes myself!!!!

As far as storage.......what's that? I live in a 1000 square foot home with my husband and 3 year old twin daughters, plus one hyperactive Boston Terrier. I store all my cake goodies in my basement in rubber totes. Right now our house is for sale (looking to find that house with my dream kitchen) so I am trying to keep it all organized neatly. Tough task!

I usually cover my cake boards with freezer paper made by Reynolds. I have also purchased thin plastic decorative tablecloths at the party supply store and used them. I can usually get several out of one tablecloth, such a black/white checkered one for racecar cakes, etc.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:44am
post #9 of 15

Well normally I don't get a cake for my birthday icon_sad.gif
I usually go out to eat and get a slice there though. It is normally chocolate or carrot cake.

I cover my boards (if needed) with wrapping paper. I love some of the designs you can buy and you get a lot for a little.

I do bake from home and have kids. My things are in one of those plastic carts that has 4 deep drawers in it and is on casters so I can roll it over to the table or counter when I am working. That way all of my things are together. My cake pans, boards and dividers are in a seperate cabinet. My husband is a contractor and he brought a nice cabinet home with two doors and a large drawer and we put it in the kitchen to hold my pans etc.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:45am
post #10 of 15

Does anyone know whether you can get the pink Wilton fanci-foil wrap anymore? I would love to have some of that!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:47am
post #11 of 15

I have three children, ages 17, 19 and 26, who have all, at one time or another, made my birthday cakes with the help of my DH. Always tasty, always beautifully done. My youngest took the Wilton classes with me and is quite talented!

I store all my cake stuff in a large, I mean SUPER large tool box and also assorted Plastic totes in my basement.

I cover my boards (usually) with the fanci-foil you get from the cake decorators supply store.

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:34am
post #12 of 15

if i do have a birthday cake (some years i do, some years i don't), it usually comes from the bakery i learned to decorate at during high school (if i'm at my parents). she did my wedding cake as well! i wouldn't have dared to do it myself, "are you doing your own cake?" is what everyone asked me when i told them i was engaged. i think i would've been in the nuthouse if i had done my own. sorry for the tangent!

i cover my boards with white freezer paper, shiny side up. it is usually in the picking/canning aisle in the grocery store (wally world doesn't carry it!)

i have a tackle box i keep my home decorating stuff in, i work at a retail bakery, so i don't have a ton of decorating stuff at home

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:45am
post #13 of 15

When I was a girl, I collected porcelain dolls and Nancy Drew books. My dad builds custom furniture so he made me a dollcase. For the past few years it's been sitting empty in the garage. It recently occured to me to hang it to store cake stuff. It's awesome! Only bad thing is DH can see how much stuff I have now that it's no longer squirelled away in 15 different places icon_smile.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 2:29am
post #14 of 15

Hello Fellow Alabamian!
cakedeco.com has some pink foil paper - $5.95 a roll. (it does have a pattern on it though) I just ordered some of the white and it's a huge roll for that price!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 2:45am
post #15 of 15

Great topic!

I usually don't want a cake for my bday. I want icecream or just pie~

My kitchen is pretty big so I have most of my cabinets full of my caking stuff & just a few cabinets for normal cooking/baking~ LOL~ I also have a hall linen closet that I use to store my cake boards, fountains, pillars, & I have 3 rubbermaid storage bends full of cake stuff.

What I use to cover my boards.. Fanci foil, tinfoil, freezer paper, plastic wrap. Khiggins... I use the cheap plastic table clothes from Party City to cover cake boards too!! I thought I was the only one that did that icon_smile.gif They work really good too~ icon_smile.gif

When ya'll use wrapping paper what do you cover it with? Contact paper?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%