Quick Queation About Rental Kitchens.

Business By AuntieElle Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 4:56pm by wendydou

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:28am
post #1 of 4

I have a friend of a friend who does awesome cakes. I met up with her yesterday afternoon to talk cake. She mentioned that she rents a commercial kitchen but only bakes and prepares her icings and fills her cakes at the kitchen but does all the decorating at home. In a nut shell does everything but decorate them. I questioned that. She stated that since the decorating part was a "craft" it was perfectly legal to do the decorating at home. That doesn't sound right to me. Is this so? I'd like to hear some more opinions about this so I can let her know if it isn't so. I don't want my new friend in trouble. TIA

Elle

3 replies
southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 8:38am
post #2 of 4

There was another post (can't seem to find it now) that addressed this very issue and this practiced was not legal in Texas.

I am not sure how helpful the health dept will be (state, county, city). Everytime I have contacted either offices, I always get different answers to my questions.

apwagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apwagner Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 4

It doesn't sound legal.
You still have to store the cakes and the icing.
Its a contamination issue. Not saying the commercial kitchen would be cleaner but thats what the health department has inspected and certified.
I would not follow her example if I were you.

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 4

how do you find rental kitchens????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%