Edible Printers

Decorating By fittro Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 2:17am by swingme83

dmmjj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmmjj Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:11pm
post #61 of 83

It was the Epson Stylus Color CX5400 Printer/Scanner that was demoed by CTP at the show and Icing Images was showing the ip6000 (older model) and the ip3300 (new printer). I dont know, is it a good Epson?

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:19pm
post #62 of 83

I have an EPSON C84. Does anyone know if this would work for edible images??

thanks
Debbie

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:25pm
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjj

It was the Epson Stylus Color CX5400 Printer/Scanner that was demoed by CTP at the show and Icing Images was showing the ip6000 (older model) and the ip3300 (new printer). I dont know, is it a good Epson?

I don't know, I assume it would be. I know the canon ip6000 is a good one!

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:30pm
post #64 of 83

whoops sorry. I guess I havent had enough coffee yet!! right before my post was a link to the usable printers... please forgive my 'blonde moment' icon_lol.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:52pm
post #65 of 83

Well I just ordered the IP4200 off amazon.com. I was waiting for the VA to buy me one but they are taking so long that the ones I want are discontinued. I am hoping they will pay me back for it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:56pm
post #66 of 83

So, I read on another thread that kopykake says that most canons are compatible even if not listed...Is that true?? I was thinking about buying the canon pixma IP1800. Best buy has it for $50, but it's not listed on the KK site.

Courtney

dmmjj Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:02pm
post #67 of 83

I wouldnt buy a printer that you can be sure you can get ink for. I checked on icing images website and they are only selling compatables for the 4 and 5 cartridge newer chipped cartridge printer. They dont show it for the 2 cartridge 1800 printer.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 6:44pm
post #68 of 83

I was goning the say the same thing, check what cartridge they use, if it is the same "code" then you can use it!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 7:50pm
post #69 of 83

Seems that price of ink might be a bigger factor than price of printer. I got an Epson CX5400 on sale at a great price about three years ago for my home office, and it's eaten me alive in the cost of ink. I bought the refill kit online and a year later had to replace the printer--either the refill ink wasn't the best or these things truly can't be refilled; I do still use the chip resetter. I see KopyKake has a refill kit. Anyone know if it works with the Epson? I don't have an edible printer yet, but you guys have sold me on it!

nefgaby Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:15pm
post #70 of 83

YES, they you can refill them! As a matter of fact, Stephanie posted some good info on this, page 2 or 3, she got it on ebay and bought the inks at KopyKake, that is what I did, following her advice!! Good luck!

dmmjj Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:44pm
post #71 of 83

I just got my Canon printer today. I saw it at the RBA and though I could buy it on ebay, its he Canon ip3500, I just had them send me everything. This way I have no warrenty issues. Anyway, I got the inks from Icing IMages and plugged everything in, its awesome! I put an image on a cake today for my family and plan on doing some work for my kids school over the weekend! This is so much fun!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:04pm
post #72 of 83

Okay, now I am so confused. I have read this thread several times and can't figure out which is best.

Is it the Epson C88 or the Canon IP4200?

Is there anyway that someone can kind of spell this out for me? I don't want to put a lot of money into this. I probably won't use it more that a couple times a month. I have printed off the "Printer/Edibe Ink Tank Cross Reference", but would like to hear what those that do this feel is best.

I appreciate all of your help.

nefgaby Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:28pm
post #73 of 83

I can't tell you which one is best, I haven't tried the Canon BUT do own the Epson C88 (which was recommended as best by kopykake.com), I paid $60 on ebay, apparently that the only place where you can find older model printers (they come up with new ones soooooo often that even though printer is fairly new it is already considered "older" model)

Anyway, cartridges are $70 some on kopykake.com, so thanks to Stephanie, I got an empty refillable cartridge on ebay ($32 aprox) as well (link on page 3) and just ordered the bottles of ink and edible paper at kopykake. This will save me a LOT of $ down the road, it was a bigger investment but worth it, I guess I'll have ink for the next year or so...

I hope this answered some of your questions... I'm just learning as well and Thanks to everybody here on this thread I got a great system at a great price.. (or so I like to think... icon_rolleyes.gif )

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:48pm
post #74 of 83

thanks for all the info, folks!

Funny thing is, Mom was asking about edible images just yesterday, and wanted to know what kind of investment that was, and if it was low enough, if that would be a good Christmas present for me. icon_smile.gif So this thread is very informative and timely!

Thanks again, and I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, in case more info comes in. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 7:34pm
post #75 of 83

I also just bought the refillable cartridges and refill ink so that should be a big savings.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm
post #76 of 83

I went to Office Maxx today to look at the printers. They didn't carry any of the ones mentioned here. I think I will look on ebay, figure the cost, then ask for one for Christmas.

The thread is so informative but also confusing.

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #77 of 83

nefgaby: did you get the C88 or the C88+

Also...Does anyone know of a good epson printer that takes sheets bigger then 8 1/2x 11?? I think the bigger size would come in handy. Anyone have one that does the bigger size?

nefgaby Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:03am
post #78 of 83

I believe it is the C88. I did look into the difference between the C88 and C88+ and couldn't find anything... do you know the difference? They both look the same, different functions maybe?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:04am
post #79 of 83

dmmjj--I wonder if it was the ink and not the printer that made a difference in the print quality? Were the Epson people using ink from Icing Images, Kopy Kake or something else?

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 10:02am
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingme83

Also...Does anyone know of a good epson printer that takes sheets bigger then 8 1/2x 11?? I think the bigger size would come in handy. Anyone have one that does the bigger size?

I think that if you want something that does larger prints, you need to look at professional or archival quality printers. I know my mom was doing photography for awhile, and she had to go searching online for a large-bed printer. none of the stores around us carried them in stock. But she did end up with an Epson. I'll ask her what model, and what kind of cartridges it takes, if you like, and see if the cartridges are compatible.

dmmjj Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:04am
post #81 of 83

The ink wasnt Icing Images since they dont make it for the Epsons, my guess is Kopykake would be making the inks for the epsons and selling them to others. Kopykake for some reason was not at the show.

As for the wider printing printers, dont they all print up to 8.5x14 which would be nice for a half sheet cake?[/quote]

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 7:29pm
post #82 of 83

Well, I just purchased a new Epson C88 off ebay. I also purchased the cartidges and frosting sheets from Kopy Kake. Anything has to be better than what my local Shoprite produces for me! icon_eek.gif

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:17am
post #83 of 83

im going to wait for a couple weeks (as i just booked a trip) and check the ads out. Thanks all. I guess iw ill just have to settle for no larger then 8 1/2 on one side.

nefgaby if i find the difference i will let you know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%