Don't Let The Crisco Label Fool You!! - A Fable :)

Decorating By DelightsByE Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 12:22am by jenlg

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:33am
post #61 of 119

I use Wegman's brand (a northeastern grocery chain) because it still has the trans-fat. I noticed the last time I bought shortening that they now have more shelf space for their own brand than they do Crisco. I've also recommended it to pie bakers who are having trouble with their pie crust. I wonder who is still buying Crisco?

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:57am
post #62 of 119

First off you who are storing lots of Crisco. I have had shortening go rancid in just a few months. I would definitely at least refrigerate it and smell it before you make a batch of icing. I don't know if rancid oil can make you sick but it will taste bad. Be careful.

Secondly, I don't attempt to wash Crisco off my hands, I just wipe it on a towel first, then wash. It is like a moisturizer and if you use the towel again it just moisturizer your hands some more. Don't know about the rest of you but my hands get awfully dry with all the washing I do while baking and icing cakes.

I just bought Great Value (Walmart) All Vegetable Shortening at my local Walmart and it says 2.5 grams of trans fat per 1 TBSP (serving size). That, apparently is a higher trans fat than even the old Crisco. I have to say the icing I made with this Great Value and milk turned out great.

But that brings us to another problem. I made my icing Saturday with GV shortening and 2 % milk. I accidently left one small tub of colored icing on the counter, noticed it Sunday afternoon and popped it in the fridge. I opened it Tuesday afternoon and it smelled like sour milk or milk that has gone bad. Now I am wondering about the people I made the cake for and did they finish the cake before Tuesday and did their icing go bad. How are you guys making icing with milk that doesn't go sour.

AND now they are changing the GV shortening too icon_cry.gif
Whatever are we to do?? icon_cry.gif
Stupid government icon_mad.gif telling us all we have to be healthy.

What is trans fat anyway? Can you order pure trans fat? I could sell it in little vials icon_twisted.gif like gold!!!

Okay this Crisco things is making me crazy icon_eek.gif

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:20am
post #63 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore

I also use Aldi's 3g trans fat shortening ... and love it! Aldi's isn't just an OH store ... google them and find the location closest to you. Take a quarter and some recycled shopping bags ... the quarter is for the cart -- you get it back when you return it, so they aren't strewn accross the parking lot or paying someone else to retrieve them. They do sell bags and you can take boxes for packing up your goods. I also get my sugars and flour there and save quite a bit. I've never had a problem with bugs in the flour from there, but have from other local grocers and Walmart. You can't get everything there, but for staples, they're great.

What city in oh do you live in? I go to the Clayton Aldi's and they took all the shortening off the shelf and not selling it no more so they say. I asked them (cashiers) why and they don't know. Hope they bring it back. I really liked aldi's brand.

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:29am
post #64 of 119

When I make my icing I use water and not milk because I know that if I forget to put the icing in the fridge I won't have to worry about the icing going bad. I don't know if it really makes a difference in the texture of the icing or not. Does anyone know if it really make a difference if you use milk and not water? I find it tastes good with using water though.

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:39am
post #65 of 119

why don't you guys just use the store brand shortening . I use the stuff that is sold at sav-a-lot and i have never ever had a problem . except when i ran out of it and decided to use butter, eventhough it did taste better it was tooooooo soft so never again.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:17am
post #66 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawndelicious

Okay, next time any of you are at a Pampered Chef party, pick up their solid/liquid measuring cup. It is like a plunger and costs $14. I love mine for measuring Crisco. It goes in the dishwasher and saves me lots of money!

hee, hee, thanks for a plug...couldn't help it.. icon_redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika513x2

why don't you guys just use the store brand shortening . I use the stuff that is sold at sav-a-lot and i have never ever had a problem . except when i ran out of it and decided to use butter, eventhough it did taste better it was tooooooo soft so never again.

I buy my powdered sugar from Save A Lot. My DH works for their warehouse--drives him CRAZY to see stuff from work at home! icon_lol.gif I also use store brand [Meijer] shortening....better check their shortening out. I usually just buy one or two when on sale......

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:21am
post #67 of 119

I have always used milk for my icing and usually 2%. I have never had it go sour when left out. The sugar usually takes care of preserving it.

I agree about the shortening going rancid. My girlfriend thought she was doing me a big favor and gave me her 6# can of the old Crisco. What she neglected to tell me was that she had opened it months ago. YUK! What a smell. I had to pitch it.

Diane

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:31am
post #68 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

why don't we all go to crisco company and start complaining....Maybe they start making a Crisco brand just for cakesicon_biggrin.gif

Many of us have. Crisco has made it clear - in NO uncertain terms - that they will NEVER go back to the old formula.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:20am
post #69 of 119

I use 6.75 oz = 1 cup. I got it from someone a while back. I've seen people say 7oz=1cup. I've never gone to the trouble of measuring and weighing...not sure why lol

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 8:51am
post #70 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

I have always used milk for my icing and usually 2%. I have never had it go sour when left out. The sugar usually takes care of preserving it.

I agree about the shortening going rancid.

Diane

I have never had mine go bad either, and I keep mine out sometimes for two days. The sugar does act as a preservative.

I never have Shortening go bad icon_sad.gif IT'S never around long enough LOL icon_smile.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:16pm
post #71 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmo

What city in oh do you live in? I go to the Clayton Aldi's and they took all the shortening off the shelf and not selling it no more so they say. I asked them (cashiers) why and they don't know. Hope they bring it back. I really liked aldi's brand.

I'm just north of Clayton on 49 ... I shop at the Greenville Aldi. They've always got a pallet of it on the floor. thumbs_up.gif

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:06pm
post #72 of 119

I know Crisco has said no going back but didn't Coke say that about "New coke" icon_lol.gif

lionladydi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:00pm
post #73 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerlady

I know Crisco has said no going back but didn't Coke say that about "New coke" icon_lol.gif

Difference being that the government wasn't involved with the "New Coke."
You know that they must save us from ourselves with the trans fats.

Di

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:26pm
post #74 of 119

icon_smile.gif I was estatic to see the Aldi shortening back on the shelf......until I read a little sign at the top, that said, "Seasonal Item'. icon_cry.gificon_confused.gificon_sad.gif I went ahead and got 2 cans, I will use it.....and it's always worked well for me......
Stupid government, why don't they pull all these soda/candy/junk food commercials? icon_lol.gif Leave the cake decorators things ALONE! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

lionladydi Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:51pm
post #75 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycakes

icon_smile.gif I was estatic to see the Aldi shortening back on the shelf......until I read a little sign at the top, that said, "Seasonal Item'. icon_cry.gificon_confused.gificon_sad.gif I went ahead and got 2 cans, I will use it.....and it's always worked well for me......
Stupid government, why don't they pull all these soda/candy/junk food commercials? icon_lol.gif Leave the cake decorators things ALONE! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

AMEN TO THAT!

Diane

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:03pm
post #76 of 119

I went to Wal-marts this a.m. (Thursday) and looked at the Great Value Brand of All-Veggie Shortening and it said it contained 3 grams of Trans Fat per serving - so there is still some to be had out there and it was at the front of the shelf, also!!

DelightsByE Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:46am
post #77 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I have never had mine go bad either, and I keep mine out sometimes for two days. The sugar does act as a preservative.

I never have Shortening go bad icon_sad.gif IT'S never around long enough LOL icon_smile.gif

huuuuh hhhaaahhh....... icon_twisted.gif
LL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:47pm
post #78 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

huuuuh hhhaaahhh....... icon_twisted.gif

now that was funny! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #79 of 119

Woo Hoo found some shortening with 3g trans fat at my local grocer (Brookshires). Its HyTop brand so they carry it in several different stores.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:12pm
post #80 of 119

You all DO realize that you will have to deal with your buttercream problems once you've exhausted your hoarded stash of transfatty shortening, right?

IMO, you should be expending your energy tweaking a recipe to make it work for you. In other words, start adapting. I am very fortunate that the recipe I've been giving out to my cake students for the past 10 years didn't need a single tweak to work with new Crisco. I had no idea of the changeover until months after it happened. The recipe is in the recipe section.

Tweak, tweak, tweak! You're gonna to have to eventually.

Sherri

lionladydi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:32pm
post #81 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

You all DO realize that you will have to deal with your buttercream problems once you've exhausted your hoarded stash of transfatty shortening, right?

IMO, you should be expending your energy tweaking a recipe to make it work for you. In other words, start adapting. I am very fortunate that the recipe I've been giving out to my cake students for the past 10 years didn't need a single tweak to work with new Crisco. I had no idea of the changeover until months after it happened. The recipe is in the recipe section.

Sherri

Yes, I am sure that we all DO realize that we will have to adapt eventually but until then, we'll keep using the trans fat shortening against the government's wishes.

Almost everyone I have seen comment on CC has said that milk is a better liquid than water with the trans fat free Crisco. I see that you use water. I prefer milk in my icing although I have made it with water. I think my decision is going to be to quit decorating cakes.

I have debated about it for the last year and this trans fat free ordeal has put me over the edge. I am curious to know if Crisco has suffered because of this. I know several other than myself have changed to store brand.

Diane

DelightsByE Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:15pm
post #82 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Sherri

NO NO NO NO NO YOU CAN'T MAKE ME

DelightsByE Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm
post #83 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

I am curious to know if Crisco has suffered because of this. I know several other than myself have changed to store brand.

Diane

I don't know if Crisco is or will suffer, but I can imagine that CK or whoever makes the hi-ratio shortening must be laughing all the way to the bank. Eventually they will have most of our business, although I wish the price would come down a bit...

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:21pm
post #84 of 119

at wally world today they had the 'great value' shortening in big tubs (5 lbs I think) and that one has 2.5% trans fat

lionladydi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:44pm
post #85 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

at wally world today they had the 'great value' shortening in big tubs (5 lbs I think) and that one has 2.5% trans fat

Going to Wally tomorrow and I will check it out. Thanks.

Diane

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #86 of 119

Ok, I'm not going through all six pages of this to find out if someone said this already, but don't stop going to that cashier! Look for her every time you shop there.

Apparently, she knows more about the products her store sells than an average cashier would, no matter what store they worked at.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:04pm
post #87 of 119

Well the results are in. As I posted before, I made 3 batchs of bc - one with old crisco, one with 0 TF and then 0TF w/ dreamwhip added.
I think I mentioned before that the old crisco bc is a very creamy white while the others were an off white, slight yellow tint to them.
I made roses with each and the old crisco came out beautifully, the 0 TF was a bit to soft and the roses were floppy. The 0 TF w/ DW was much stiffer and my roses came out ok but the petals were a little jagged, maybe needs some extra crisco to help smooth them out.
I then thinned the icing and iced 3 little cakes and timed each for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I attempted smoothing with Viva Paper towel. Again, the old crisco worked out beautiful, 0 TF was not crusted over, and 0TF w/ DW smoothed well. Waited another 10 minutes for the o TF and it still wasn't fully crusted so I didn't bother any further.
So those are my results, when I run out of old crisco, I'll start adding DW to the new stuff or switch over to hi-ratio.
Just thought I'd let you all know how it turned out and will try to attach a photo of the cakes.
Zoraya

eta -can't figure out how to attach photo so I'll put it in my gallery

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:19pm
post #88 of 119

I've made several different recipes of buttercream :with Dream Whip with milk (I've always used milk); and with heavy cream and none of them seam to come out right. They typically come out very soft and they are too difficult to use for decorating. I haven't been able to smooth them properly because some parts crust and others don't. I made a cake the other day that I tried to decorate with roses. Roses were just kind of melting and ended up leaving the cake half decorated. Well, finally I couldn't smooth it out but after 2 days the bc had finally crusted. Go figure. Still trying to make it work

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:44pm
post #89 of 119

After reading these six pages of dreading the Crisco change, I went to my local Winco today and found a couple pkg with transfat, yipee. I am new to all this but I trust your love for the old stuff is valid. Looking back now, maybe my roses not turning out right is because I had the 0 transfat stuff....or maybe it's just me icon_wink.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:12pm
post #90 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

First off you who are storing lots of Crisco. I have had shortening go rancid in just a few months. I would definitely at least refrigerate it and smell it before you make a batch of icing. I don't know if rancid oil can make you sick but it will taste bad. Be careful.

Yes, rancid oil can make you sick, very sick. You can get food poisoning from it, as a friend of mine found out the hard way.

I had some old Crisco in my cupboard, and was so excited when I saw I still had some, then I saw the expiration date.. heh It was expired, and even though it didn't look bad, or smell bad, I still threw it out. (this was a while back, not recently)

So far, I've had great results with Walmart brand, and high ratio. High ratio here is quite expensive, though. Not really worth it for a hobby baker, but I buy it for special occasion cakes. I will be checking the local Aldi store now though, so I have one more option, just in case. icon_smile.gif

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%