Toba Garrett's Chocolate Cake Cheesecake

Business By amysue99 Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm by jen1977

amysue99 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 23

I would like ot hear from those who have made this. I'd like to make it for a going-away party this weekend. How many does it serve? And is it too heavy to stack if really well dowelled?

22 replies
amysue99 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:23am
post #2 of 23

Also, anyone ever flipped the recipe - white cake with chocolate cheesecake?

amysue99 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 23

Bump!

beachcakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 23

I've never heard of this recipe! Care to share?

Not sure if this is the same thing, but i made a thin cheesecake and sandwiched it between cake layers as the filling - it was delicious!!

amysue99 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 23

That's essentially waht it is. Chocolate cake with a cheesecake (2" thick) between the two layers and covered in chocolate buttercream. I'm guessing about 36 servings from a 10". I figure 24 servings from a regular 10" cake, plus anough 12 for the cheesecake. Sound about right?

beachcakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 23

Sounds delicious! If it's two regular 2" cake layers w/ a 2" cheesecake layer, that's a really tall cake! I'd use the wedding cutting chart for that - 10" round serves 38 according to Wilton.

JodieF Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 23

The cake is very large and is VERY rich! You could serve a lot of people! When I made it I felt like the cake layers were dry. I'm sure I overbaked them.

Here's the recipe for you...... icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:01am
post #8 of 23

OMG I think I just gained 20 lbs reading that recipe!! icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for posting - it sounds amazing!

amysue99 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:07am
post #9 of 23

Thank you guys for all the feedback. Now, any opinions on if it's stackable? I was going to stack a 8" on top o fthe 10". I may hae to break ou the wooden dowels for this one.

amysue99 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:27am
post #10 of 23

Bump! Can I stack these?

mcdonald Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:42am
post #11 of 23

Paula Deen has a recipe similar with the cheesecake in between and I must say it was WONDERFUL!!! I thought about if I could offer this cake, decorated,etc.... The cake itself is really heavy and would need a lot of support if you put the same type cake on as a second one.....

rhopar33 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:54am
post #12 of 23

I've made Toba's choc cake cheesecake several times and it is very good. A few tips, do not over cook the choc cakes. I strongly suggest you take them out when you tester still has crumbs on them. If you tester comes out clean, your cakes will most likely be dry- but, you can always drench the layers in chocolate liquer to soften/moisten the cake.

It probably feeds closer to 45-50 people. It is 3 layers tall and VERY RICH so you actually only cut slivers to serve.

I would like to try this same concept only I want to sandwich cheesecake between my carot cake and between my red velvet cake.

amysue99 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 23

[I would like to try this same concept only I want to sandwich cheesecake between my carot cake and between my red velvet cake.]

Now that sounds GOOD!! I'm very excited to try this recipe. I've been wanting to make it since I first saw it in February.

rhopar33 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by amysue99

[I would like to try this same concept only I want to sandwich cheesecake between my carot cake and between my red velvet cake.]

Now that sounds GOOD!! I'm very excited to try this recipe. I've been wanting to make it since I first saw it in February.

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to the variations yet because I've been soooo busy; but with the Hoilidays approaching, I definitly plan to give it a shot. Just remember to do your cakes in a 10 inch pan since the cheesecake is a 10 inch.

Rhonda

amysue99 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 23

Thank you for all the help. I'm going to tackle the cheesecakes tomorrow and finish it off on Sunday. I'll be sure to post a picture!

beachcakes Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:23pm
post #16 of 23

When I did something similar, I baked the cheesecake in two pans. I used the cake pans I was going to use for the cake part so they're the same size. You can freeze the second cheesecake layer for later - but it won't last in my house! I made a choc. cake w/ mocha cheesecake sandwiched in the middle - it was really good!!

starra328 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:32pm
post #17 of 23

i have made this cake it's in my pictures. For my sister's birthday and for valentine's day It is so good and you do cut the slices thin because it's so much cake.

paolacaracas Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:48pm
post #18 of 23

I would also like to know if you can use this cake for stacking, and to be coverded in fondant all night long at the reception.

albumangel Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 23

I haven't tried this, because I like lighter cakes, but it does sound amazingly rich.

And if I had to guess, it probably would stack OK with lots of dowels, or I would probably use hidden hollow pillars and plates to be on the safe side.

As for covering with fondant, I wouldn't want to leave cheesecake at room temperature for more than a day- but maybe this recipe has enough sugar to stabilize it. I would at least crank my AC up while workign on it.

tana Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 11:03pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

OMG I think I just gained 20 lbs reading that recipe!! icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for posting - it sounds amazing!

LMAO- Thats is too funny!! icon_lol.gif

suesweet Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:27am
post #21 of 23

I haven't done the chocolate cheesecake recipe, but I have a coco-carrot cheesecake on my menu as well as a strawberries and cream layered cheesecake which are both layered cakes with cheesecake in the middle. They are scrumptious.

amysue99 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:49am
post #22 of 23

If anyone is still watching this post - I'm sorry to take so long to give you the update on the finished product. My friend took photos, and I've been waiting on them - still waiting - so no photo. Anyway, it went really well - tasted AMAZING! They stacked just fine. Absolutely no problems with that. I made one layer chocolate cake with Toba's cheesecake (not my favorite recipe) and the top layer was white cake with strawberry swirl cheesecake. Covered it all with Toba's chocolate buttercream and make chocolate plastique roses. Got lots of compliments on how awesome the cake was. If anyone wants to try thi - DO IT!!!

jen1977 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #23 of 23

We love cheesecake in our house. I may try this for Thanksgiving!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%