Mmf Flopped!

Baking By debsuewoo Updated 28 Jul 2005 , 6:43pm by tcrema

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 8

Well, I made the MMF, put it on the cake and let my 8 year old have at it with buttercream (her birthday cake, she wanted to decorate it!). It was strawberry cake with strawberry filling. Anyway, we cut it up and passed it around and the concensis is that MMF doesn't taste as good as the BC and to PLEASE not use it to cover a cake again, unless specifically asked for. At least I tried it!

Debbi

7 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry to hear that Debbie icon_sad.gif I know Wilton fondant tastes really nasty .. some people don't like MMF because it is chewy ... it does taste much better than the Wilton fondant .. It's really pretty on wedding cakes .. I think if you put the buttercream under a cake thick enough, you could cover with MMF if for nothing else, the looks .. a person could always peel it off and just eat the buttercream/cake parts .. guess it's all in what person likes ..

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 12:51am
post #3 of 8

I always have thick layer of BC.... that way they don't have to eat the MMF. I haven't had any complaints

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:30am
post #4 of 8

My family had the same reaction.
My SIL took home some cake the other night. It was a pretty good size chunk, buttercream covered with MMF. She told my DB there is cake in the fridge. He did not go get any that night. Next evening he goes to get cake, thinks "Cool lots of cake left." Only to discover a MMF tent, no cake. LOL LOL My SIL had kept going at it with a spoon in the fridge. She said she couldn't help it it was sooo good but she didn't like the fondant.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:28am
post #5 of 8

I used MMF finally on a cake I did. I did not like it.. I believe it's just cheaper than fondant, rolls better for me than fondant and simply just looks pretty..
Every one peeled it off. LOL One time I made a bow out of fondant. My family had a get together and well by the time we cut the cake the fondant was hard. (made it a day in advance so it would hold) Well it didn't go to waste. Children had alot of fun..ALL the kids got a piece and rolled it up and we had a fondant ball fight.. dang things hurt!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsuewoo

Well, I made the MMF, put it on the cake and let my 8 year old have at it with buttercream (her birthday cake, she wanted to decorate it!). It was strawberry cake with strawberry filling. Anyway, we cut it up and passed it around and the concensis is that MMF doesn't taste as good as the BC and to PLEASE not use it to cover a cake again, unless specifically asked for. At least I tried it!

Debbi

Well, you never know until you try!!! icon_lol.gif

I say people are more turned off about the consistency of the icing than the flavor... It is pasty and different. I did the test at my old job with my co workers and they said that it was the texture that they didn't care for.

I personally like it.... Its like eating candy! Yum! icon_biggrin.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 8

lol... me too MariaLovesCakes! I'll pinch pieces off and eat the MMF .. I really like the taste of it .. kind of like those orange circus peanuts you can buy.

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 8

YES ntertayneme!!!! that is it the Circus penuts that is what it reminds me of! My son LOVES it. I used to have a ball of it in my diaper bag wrapped up and when my daughter had cheer or gymnastics I would pinch him off pieces and he would sit watch and eat! I love the taste of it but I haven't tried the taste of it on a cake yet! OH WELL! SOON I WILL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%