Perfect Mmf.. The Easy And No Mess Way!

Decorating By FlowerGirlMN Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 4:04am by Michelle104

MacsMom Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:57pm
post #61 of 78

Glad I read this! It's how I've always done it, too (I use a large spatula), but I pour the sugar in a little at a time right from the bag instead of using another bowl, then knead it when it gets stiff enough that I know my hands won't be a mess. I was wondering if I was the only one who didn't use a Kitchen Aid!

Someone here gave me the tip to add 1 T of glycerine when you add the color and flavor and it really does help with pliablity when covering funky shapes icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:27pm
post #62 of 78

Thanks for replying, FlowergirlMN!! I did have a LOT left over that I did throw away...oh well. I guess I'll be more careful next time. Thanks for posting this!!

tcbalgord Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:49pm
post #63 of 78

OMG THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! I tried making MMF and I hated it icon_evil.gif It was sticky and ruined my bowl. ever since I have been terrified of making it again and have just "put-up" with Wilton's. (EWWW)

I have tried your technique and success!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and it tasted fab! Thank you thank you thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

krazykat_14 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 8:58pm
post #64 of 78

Woo Hoo!!! I did it! icon_biggrin.gif I tried yesterday and things didn't go as well as I had hoped. I must have over-nuked the marshmallows because they were a horrible sticky mess- I could barely get the knife in or out of the stuff!!! When I went to knead it, it was horribly dry and flakey- I know someone else mentioned that they had the same problem...

Today, after reading a few articles on how to make MMF, I tried it again: I greased the bowl first, then only nuked in 30-second intervals... it only took about 1:15! It was SO much easier! It stired nicely, I could scrape the sides of the bowl, the color actually blended before I had to knead it... it was a dream! It also took on more PS than the batch yesterday, it barely took on 1 pound! Today, it took nearly the whole two! Yeah me!

I thought I would post this in case anyone else had problems with their "first batch"...

monkeydust Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 9:38pm
post #65 of 78

can't wait to try this!

GI Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 12:32am
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

wow thanks for all the tips, maybe one day I'll be brave enough to try it.

Go ahead, give it a whirl!! thumbs_up.gif I nuked mine in 30 sec intervals, also.... Its so easy and it will just give you a sugar rush to have that Knowledge & Power!!! icon_lol.gif

TheDomesticDiva Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #67 of 78

If I wanted to make red fondant, would you suggest starting with white or chocolate marshmallows? icon_smile.gif I'm really excited to try this, I always assumed instructions for doing you own would be insanely hard. This sounds easy enough! Thanks so much!

FlowerGirlMN Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 6:31pm
post #68 of 78

....?

I definitely wouldn't start red marshmallows off with chocolate!

I actually made some today.. that Americolor stuff really works!

TheDomesticDiva Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:32pm
post #69 of 78

haha, the only reason I asked about starting with chocolate marshmallows to get to red, was because I've read posts where people say if you need red buttercream, to start off with a darker color and then add red to it so it doesnt get bitter. Didnt know if it was the same way!!

aswartzw Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:41pm
post #70 of 78

This advice is great. I made some to go on a wedding cake last weekend and didn't even get my hands messy! icon_eek.gif Plus, it came out super pliable. I only added 2 heaping T. of Crisco but it was amazing how well it turned out. Outside of thinking my arm was falling off when using the knife (I switched to my sturdier silicone spatula) it was a breeze!

lchristi27 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #71 of 78

Made three batches of this stuff this week, wish I would of read this first!!!!
Cant wait to try this method, thanks for posting.

Oh-I used the strawberry marshmallows for the first time too, worked great and added red food coloring, but I noticed it took more ps than the white.

moxey2000 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:19am
post #72 of 78

Awesome thread, answered all my questions and then some! Thank you all so much.

hwhite0131 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:37pm
post #73 of 78

How long with MMF keep? I meant to ask this but forgot and I want to make it soon. Thanks for your help!!!

Heather

dshlent Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #74 of 78

What did I do wrong? I melted the mini marshmellows with a hand full of water. I added a little powdered sugar. Then when I poured the melted marshmellows into the bowl of powdered sugar it just seemed to fall apart and I couldn't get it to form into a ball????

psanders76 Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:16pm
post #75 of 78

Wow!! Only 7 minutes?? I have to try this!! Thanks for sharing.

lkarlin Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #76 of 78

thanks!

SugarLover2 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #77 of 78

Thanks!!

Michelle104 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:04am
post #78 of 78

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FLOWERGIRL!!!! I made mmf one time a loooong time ago and pretty much hated every minute of it! I was one that it took FOREVER to knead it and blah blah blah! I saved this thread thinking that someday.....maybe.....I would try mmf again. Well, this week, only out of necessity, as we didn't have the $ to spend on satin ice and I NEEDED fondant for some cakes, I tried it your way! Oh my goodness! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I am soooo pumped! It worked perfectly! I can't wait to roll it out to see how it is to work with! Thank you soooooo much for sharing your technique! If you were here right now I think I would kiss you!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%