How Do You All Do A Setting To Take A Picture??

Decorating By darrahmomof3 Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 4:16am by auntginn

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:43am
post #1 of 12

I see all these pics that have draping behind them. Do you just use a sheet, is it professional? I want my pics to look better. How do you do it?

11 replies
idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:04am
post #2 of 12

You can go to Michaels or a stationery store and buy a three sided stand up presentation board and then go to the fabric store and just buy some cheap black (or any color you want) material and put it over the presentation board.. take the pic and you have a better looking picture.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:05am
post #3 of 12

I have just started doing this, but I think it works well and is easy to do.
I bought some foamboard (thick posterboard) at Joanns, and some black fabric. i just drape the fabric on the foamboard and prop it up. place my cake in front of it and i have a very nice black back drop! icon_biggrin.gif

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:08am
post #4 of 12

I purchased a 3-sided black presentation board at the craft store and black felt (cheap) at Walmart...I put the felt over my table and set the presentation board on the table and position the cake in front of the board.

You could use any color you like but you can get much better pictures with this type setup.

dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:08am
post #5 of 12

that is a really neat idea

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:41am
post #6 of 12

Thanks for your info. I will be getting me some of these ideas.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:53am
post #7 of 12

Some years ago when I was working in the special events industry, I learned through lighting experts that blue is the best color to take still photos. Some of you might want to give it a shot. No pun intended.

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:27am
post #8 of 12

If you have bold colour tablecloths or cardboard depending on size of cake - they work.

Also if you go to your haberdashery store you can grapple through the off-cut bins (if you have them over there ) and just buy those.

It;s a good idea to have a few colours and then see which works best with the colours in your cake...

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:36am
post #9 of 12

Wait, so taking a pic of my cake while it's in the cake box is a no-no? Just kidding!!

Really, while you're on the topic then, can you please also explain how to get good lighting, if you do not have access to any kind of professional lighting? When I use the flash it often reflects off the cake, but I can't always get the cake into a place with enough natural light to turn off the flash. Seems like proper lighting should go hand-in-hand with an attractive backdrop...

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:38am
post #10 of 12

I went to the dollar store and bought a roll of each color of solid-color wrapping paper they had. We use them as seamless paper under and/or behind cakes when we photograph them. We take a roll of sky blue with us every time we set up a wedding cake, so that we can always have a nice backdrop in case the scenery behind the cake is busy.

Deanna

P.S. - I just uploaded a pic of a cake that was taken in front of a third-story floor-to-ceiling window that overlooked downtown Dallas. Thank goodness for cheap blue wrapping paper! thumbs_up.gif

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:48am
post #11 of 12

The best light is natural light, set your cake in front of a window, and use no flash at all.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:16am
post #12 of 12

The 2 most common complaints in photography is #1 shadow and #2 lighting. To avoid shadows take a picture of the subject at eye level with the sun or lighting behind you. As for lighting, when you don't have the option of nature light, you can make a soft light difuser very inexpensively by purchasing good old fashion construction paper and creating a cone to fit around your camera. Depending on the type of camera you have just play with it until you can manuever it to fit. If you have the luxury of having an assistant (hahaha) with you have them hold it up over the camera just before you shoot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%