Strange Speech Concern

Lounge By wonderwoman Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm by jen1977

wonderwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wonderwoman Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 5

My son (he's 5 and just started Kindergarden) does something really strange with his speech. He repeats final sounds or syllables of words. For example, he may say, "We went for a ride...ide...ide yesterday..ay in the car." I have spoken with about 6 school speech therapists who have never heard of this. It's not really like a stutter, he doesn't really seem to struggle, he's not even aware that he does it. I took him to the school system's Pupil Appraisal but they didn't hear it. You really have to have a conversation with him to hear it, and they really test for typical speech stuff. Has anyone out there ever even heard of someone doing this? It's been going on since he was about 3 1/2 and it seems to be getting worse and not better. I have an appt October 3rd at the LSU Speech and Hearing Clinic for an evaluation. It just makes me crazy that no one has ever heard of this!

4 replies
TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:47am
post #2 of 5

Maybe he is just out-thinking his mouth, if that makes sense. Like you said, not a stutter per se, but maybe him trying to gather his thoughts and so he keeps speaking to keep the conversation going while he thinks?? Or some kids just like how things sound when they say it. Sorry I dont have any personal experience with this, I'm sure the speech therapist will be able to offer you some insight. ...Maybe when he does it you could stop him and tell him to slow down? Or you could just ask him why he does it...sometimes a 5 year old could tell you if theres a reason he's doing it.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:12am
post #3 of 5

Has your pediatrician ever noticed it, or have you ever called and asked their advice about your concerns? Perhaps there is something else he should be tested for.

wonderwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wonderwoman Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:43am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the help. I haven't talked to his pediatrician yet. I keep saying next time I have to take him for another reason, I'll ask. But he hasn't been sick in months (not that I'm complaining about that!) I may go ahead and call her before we go to our Speech appt. at the university.

Sometimes I think that it may be he is thinking faster than he can talk. I know every parent thinks their kid is a genius, but he is really smart and he has a very advanced vocabulary (he correctly uses words like diabolical, phenomenal, nocturnal). I just thought if that was the problem, it would be better now and not worse.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 5

I have a 7 year old who does this. He was in speech for about two years because he left the first sounds off of almost very word he said. His therapist never said enything about repeating the last sound. He is a very bright boy. He's in first grade and reads at a 3-4 grade level. He's very good at science and his kindergarten teacher said last year that he is VERY engineer minded. I think his thoughts get ahead of him and he repeats the last sound until he remember what he wants to say. It gets annoying sometimes though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%