Can I Admit A Cc Pet Peeve?? :o)

Lounge By jessieb578 Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 5:32pm by Heath

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 552

OK, so I'll admit that sometimes I am completely nit-picky, but I wanted to see if anyone shared my CC pet peeve...

Here it is....

I can't stand when someone posts a great picture and then explains in their description of the cake or object how they did a particular skill and then you read down in the comments where people ask "hey how did you....blah, blah, blah".

It is SO ANNOYING TO ME!! Read the descriptions people! I mean if someone worked their tush of on whatever it is their posting AND they posted HOW they did something specific, gosh darn it - READ IT!!! We all work so hard, don't just admire the picture and not read about it.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif OK, ok (is it that time of the month) so as I said....sometimes I nit-pick, but I had to get that off my chest and maybe someone out there shares my pet peeve!! icon_biggrin.gif

551 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 552

I guess it might be annoying if they posted the exact same thing as the cake creator described, but then they probably would just like more detailed instructions. I think most people here on CC love to help others out, we all learn from eachother!! I would love someone to ask how I did something...would let ya know that they REALLY liked your cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 552

true, true....

I just found it rude myself when I looked at someone's cake and read their description and then someone asked how they did something, when all they needed to do was read the description!

CC is the best, we all help each other out - I think I just need some chocolate and all will be better icon_lol.gif

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 552

Yes, that happens alot!! And lots of similar things, like someone will post a recipe and then four posts later someone will ask for the recipe. It's especially annoying when it's on the same page!! icon_smile.gif

One of my pet peeves is when someone asks a SPECIFIC question like "do you know how to mix the color maroon?" and there's always SOMEONE who will answer something like "just use red instead, tell the customer that you're making it red" Uh, no!! The question was how do you make maroon!! I see that one often! I sometimes think people answer just to answer, whether they can help the person or not. Oh well, gotta take the good with the bad I guess!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 552

I have to agree with jessieb578, it's irritating! Or someone explains something in a thread and the same question is asked again a few lines down....grrrrrrrrr

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 552

My little pet peeve is the double and triple posts. icon_cool.gif ..If you accidently post more than once, just hit the little X at the top right corner and delete your duplicate posts. It is right next to the "edit" button. icon_wink.gif Thanks for letting me get that out, now I feel better! icon_lol.gif

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 552

I see things along the same line in some where someone asks a question like how did you..?? the person who made the cake answers then five posts later someone else asks the same question......didn't they see the question was already asked and answered?????

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 552

OK...I'll chime in, too.

I agree with ya, Jessieb...it's annoying! READ the description!!

I also get annoyed with a description isn't posted............but that's just me. Maybe I am getting picky in my old age!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 552

My pet peeve is when people post their cake on a thread saying "look at this". And its not their first time doing it, they just want to get people looking at it. Isnt that what posting the pictures in the galleries are for? Maybe Im just a biatch but it annoys the heck out of me. Because their cake will automatically go into favorites and the cake that you consider to be the best cake of your career that you just posted barely gets three people looking at it!

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 552

I wish everyone would type a description when they post their picture. There's been times when I would have to ask a question, because there wouldn't be anything about what they had done.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 552

I'm w/southaustingirl......Please, please post some info about how you created what you are showing us. So may people post pictures without saying anythingicon_sad.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 552

I agree about posting cakes in threads...it's just fishing for more looks. I admit I did it once because I was excited about a cake that got no notice, but then it kindof made me cringe that I had! Never again! icon_smile.gif

I also wish people would be more clear in their subject lines. Sometimes they're so vague and I open the thread, but couldn't possibly contribute. Sometimes those same folks are annoyed they got so many views and no responses. icon_rolleyes.gif

Now...nobody get mad at this thread. It helps us be better CC'ers to know what's annoying! thumbs_up.gif

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I see things along the same line in some where someone asks a question like how did you..?? the person who made the cake answers then five posts later someone else asks the same question......didn't they see the question was already asked and answered?????

I don't think this is always because someone didn't read the thread. I think sometimes this happens because of the way the replies post to the thread. Maybe two people are asking the same question at the same time and they post to the thread at the same time (did that make sense?).

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanahaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I don't think this is always because someone didn't read the thread. I think sometimes this happens because of the way the replies post to the thread. Maybe two people are asking the same question at the same time and they post to the thread at the same time (did that make sense?).

Yes that may be true sometimes, but not always. I wasn't trying to get at situations like that to irritate anyone. Sorry if I did.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 552

Venting is all and well, but do these types of things really actually annoy anyone that much? Come on . . . it's an informal forum about cake - this isn't life or death stuff here.

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:41pm
post #16 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I also wish people would be more clear in their subject lines. Sometimes they're so vague and I open the thread, but couldn't possibly contribute.

Oh that's such a good one!!!!!

Another thing is when people have a vent about something, anything, and then there's always someone who twists it around and seems to want to make them feel bad for saying it. LIke someone will say that they're mad at Wilton for a cruddy product or whatever and then will get a response saying "they're a business, they're there to make money, you shouldn't expect so much" when this person is only expressing themself and their opinion! I've never posted that I think Wilton stinks, but I sure have thought it to myself a couple times over the years and can see people's point when they vent about them!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:45pm
post #17 of 552

The only thing that really bothers me, and it's nothing that the members do, its the gallery. I wish there was a way that we could edit our comments there. I sometimes don't always have time to read all of the comments, especially where there are a lot of them. Like this morning, I asked a question about a technique and after I posted I saw where it was answered by the original poster about halfway down in the comments and I couldn't go back to my comment to edit it, I just had to enter an "oops" comment! lol

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:52pm
post #18 of 552

jenlg, you did not irritate me. I was just stating a fact and you are right, that isn't always the case. But I have had it happen to me before.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:12pm
post #19 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I also wish people would be more clear in their subject lines. Sometimes they're so vague and I open the thread, but couldn't possibly contribute. Sometimes those same folks are annoyed they got so many views and no responses. icon_rolleyes.gif

Now...nobody get mad at this thread. It helps us be better CC'ers to know what's annoying! thumbs_up.gif

Absolutely agree. I've posted this myself a couple of times. A short list of those that irriate are:

"A Question" (no kidding .... 99% of posts are questions)

Any incomplete heading, such as:
-----"How do you ......?" (how do I what? WHAT? WHAT!!!??? CC doens't charge us per letter .... use them!)
-----"What's the difference?" (between WHAT? Tell us up front)
-----"Need Help" or just plain "Help" (most of us do need help .... help on BC? fondant? gumpaste? Tying your shoes? WHAT???)

My biggest one is the Shocker Headline ("I fell in the toilet") and when you pop in, it starts out with "now that I have your attention, what's a cake cardboard" type of thing. I think all of us are happy to help with your question .... you don't have to TRICK us into opening your thread. I tend to back out of these threads w/o leaving any kind of answer.

And the above post is right .... none of this is life or death. But sometimes I'm popping in here while cakes are in the oven and I really don't want to spend my time in "How do I.....?" threads that are about fondant because I don't work with fondant so I can't contribute, ergo eating up the valuable break-time that I have. It's just a simple consideration thing with me.

melmcgill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmcgill Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:24pm
post #20 of 552

I agree that people should read first. It just happened to me the other day. I posted a picture and stated that I made the flowers out of gumpaste, and sure enough a question in the comments asking if I made my flowers out of gumpaste. I don't mind responding back, but if people would just take the time to quickly read the information given on the cakes it would save some time.

melmcgill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmcgill Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:25pm
post #21 of 552

I agree that people should read first. It just happened to me the other day. I posted a picture and stated that I made the flowers out of gumpaste, and sure enough a question in the comments asking if I made my flowers out of gumpaste. I don't mind responding back, but if people would just take the time to quickly read the information given on the cakes it would save some time.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:26pm
post #22 of 552

hey Indy...ya ever try my Chicken Lasagna??? icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:37pm
post #23 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

My pet peeve is when people post their cake on a thread saying "look at this". And its not their first time doing it, they just want to get people looking at it. Isnt that what posting the pictures in the galleries are for? Maybe Im just a biatch but it annoys the heck out of me. Because their cake will automatically go into favorites and the cake that you consider to be the best cake of your career that you just posted barely gets three people looking at it!

I agree with you completely.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:40pm
post #24 of 552

I used to think the same thing when people posted their pics in a thread, they were just fishing, but frankly there have been enough threads to prove now that posting your cake at the wrong time (when is there a right time) can get it overlooked. So I don't have a problem with people trying to get some feedback on their cakes, and sometimes posting them in a thread is the only way!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:46pm
post #25 of 552

Oh I just know Im gonna be beat down for this comment....but ya know...some people here on CC get more picture attention then others...and well....yeah, I understand why people post their pic in the topics....EVERYBODY needs some sort of help....or even a nice comment on their picture....Not just the Colette Peters of cake decorators. JUST MY OPINION my dear friends....I just notice lately that if you aren't the "in" decorator you don't get noticed as much...

(((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) please don't shoot me icon_biggrin.gif

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:51pm
post #26 of 552

My wish.... when adding a photo to the gallery, the poster would take one minute and add a couple of keywords describing their cake (in the keyword box, of course) There are so many great cakes out there that don't show up in a search because there is no description.
There is a beautiful baby shower cake with a seashell theme on the front page right now with no keywords... therefore won't pop up if I used the search function -

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:53pm
post #27 of 552

Gotta laugh at Debi's response.

I skip over the vauge "need help" "how do I" etc. posts all the time when I'm scanning topics. With my limited knowleged, I can only help with a few topics, so I don't bother opening all of them!

HOWEVER, when I see the words "pet peeve" I'm ALL over it: I'm a virgo. I've got an endless list of what irritates me. LOL

p.s. my pet peeve is someone who requests help, several CCers post advice or resources, but the person who asked for the help doesn't even bother to say "thank you." I guess they just read the info and move on. thumbsdown.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:53pm
post #28 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Oh I just know Im gonna be beat down for this comment....but ya know...some people here on CC get more picture attention then others...and well....yeah, I understand why people post their pic in the topics....EVERYBODY needs some sort of help....or even a nice comment on their picture....Not just the Colette Peters of cake decorators. JUST MY OPINION my dear friends....I just notice lately that if you aren't the "in" decorator you don't get noticed as much...

icon_lol.gif LOL!! No shots fired! I agree completely with your statement too.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:58pm
post #29 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

and your posts get ignored and you feel like an outcast ..... **sigh**

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 11:00pm
post #30 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariannedavis

p.s. my pet peeve is someone who requests help, several CCers post advice or resources, but the person who asked for the help doesn't even bother to say "thank you." I guess they just read the info and move on. thumbsdown.gif

I agree with this wholeheartedly if someone offers at least some sort of advice you should say thank you...I even say thank you if I don't agree. (must be a southern thang LOL)

What really grabs my a$$ is when someone posts a topic...then 3 minutes they post to their own topic with a "ANYBODY icon_confused.gif " LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%