Wilton Course

Decorating By Fawnwittwins Updated 29 Jul 2005 , 2:31am by Fawnwittwins

Fawnwittwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fawnwittwins Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 7

I am interested in taking the wilton course or some other kind of course to learn diffrent kinds of tecniques for cake deocrating.
The question that I have is what is the price that everyone is paying for the course at Micheals Craft store?
Is the course worth it, and what do they actually teach?
I am a young mother of a set of twins that loves to bake, I made the barney cake for my niece on her 2nd birthday and found my talent.
I do not want to waste my money, there is a vocational school near me Cincinnati ohio that offers classes for 130.00 for 3 week course 18 hours (40.00-80.00 extra for supplies) they teach all of the borders some flowers and how to ice a cake and stack a cake and a couple of other things i can not remember.
They also have just a border course and just a flower course that is 25.00 for 3 hours.
they do not offer fondant classes though. Please let me know what everyones opinions are on the Wiltons classes. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
karent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karent Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 7

In this area the class run about $25 for 4 weeks, however there is always a special going on where you can get a good deal on the class. Some months you receive the class kit free and others the class is half off.

I felt the class was worth it and I took all three courses.

Good Luck,
Karen

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 7

The classes are definately worth it if you are pursuing it as a hobby. 8 hours of class for $25, you can't beat that and that includes the minimum amount of supplies you need. There was always a special like 1/2 off...or bring a friend get the class free deals...and the kit we always use 40% coupons on. (the kit is $19.99). I took all three courses at Michael's and now I am taking a Gum Paste course at Joann's for $20.

If you are pursuing it as a career however, these classes will only get you started. You definately need more than Wilton classes to be a professional (unless of course you are naturally talented and can teach yourself.) Unfortunately I am not one of those naturally talented people...LOL

Mixee icon_biggrin.gif

DesignsbyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyD Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 7

Hello,

I finished course 2 tonight, I had sooo much fun and learned alot. I can not wait till Aug 10th to start course3. I had an awsome instructor and a wonderful group of woman to socialize with. I am going to post the picture of my final cake. The colors look very dark in the photo, but they are much lighter. I also have to share a little story. The final cake calls for 2 birds, I did everything to protect them from my 3 kids. Last night when I went to pick them up to place on the cake I dropped one icon_cry.gif . I was so mad at myself, but my family had a good laugh. My DH husband felt bad, he said after all the fussing you did over those birds and you were the one to drop it! I have to say that the color flow method was the one thing I enjoyed the most, this was my first time doing that. I would recommend the courses to anyone, it's fun just to get together with other decorators.

Happy Baking
Denise icon_smile.gif
LL

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 7

I took two Wilton classes YEARS ago, and it was SO worth it! The classes are usually pretty small, so you can get a lot of one-on-one time with the instructor. Go for it - you won't regret it!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 7

I baked for yrs..... but when my daughters wedding was set, I decided I was going to make her wedding cake... I took all three courses and I don't regret it... It was well worth the money..
cakegal

Fawnwittwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fawnwittwins Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:31am
post #7 of 7

I can not believe the response that i recieved from all of you.
I appreciate it so much I guess I will go ahead and take the first course to learn the basic's.
I am so pleased with all the support that all of you offer,I can not wait to take the classes and learn more.
I have allthe basic stuff done from just practicing on family cakes, I want to learn how to make flowers and decorate with fondant.
Again Thank you all for the wonderful support that I have recieved on this web site. I will let you all know updates when i finish. LOL Fawnwittwins

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%