Help- Just Starting Out

Decorating By ckirkland Updated 27 Jul 2005 , 7:53pm by melissablack

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 7

I just started getting serious about cake decorating. I have only made cakes for my family so far and they all love them and everyone else that comes to the parties. I have had people ask me to me their daughters/son's birthday cake, but I don't know if I am up to that yet. Cake decorator to cake decorator- (view my pictures) do you think I am ready to start selling them. How much would I even charge? Any comments would be helpful- I am usually very hard on myself. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 7

Well I am in the same boat.. I've been doing cakes for awhile, made my sons first, second and third birthday cakes.. Lots of cakes in between. So I've been trying for over 3 years now.. BUT just got real serious about it. I sell 2 sizes (keeps this easier for me) 14" round and or 11 x 15 square. I charge 25 for a simple cake.. 30 for any character cakes. Both sizes. MHO It just depends on how you feel. I don't see this on making money (YET) for me it's more of a challenge. I have lots to learn!! Welcome to CC and Our Addiction!!!
Love your cakes! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 7

Well I think you do have talent!! There's only two cakes there to judge you on...but I like them both and I would pay for them!

The easiest thing to do is to set a standard price to charge per slice/person. Don't just guess! icon_confused.gif

Add up the price of your ingredients, add in a small charge for buying/sourcing them (be it at the grocery store or a cake supply store), add in the price of your materials like cake boards/food colourings/gumpaste/decorations/cake boxes, add in a price you are willing to be paid for your time/labour/electricity...then see if you will make a profit.

DON'T SELL YOUR CAKES ON A LOSS...YOU WILL NOT WANT TO DO THIS AND PEOPLE WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE! (Anyone who hears you sold Mrs. Smith a big cake for $25 will expect the same. Don't start down that road of feeling "obliged".) icon_mad.gif

At first, you might barely break even, but the experience and the photographs of your work are worth the most to you...but later on, it can become the financial profit.

Hope that info helps you. It's an awesome, creative and artistic business. This website is certainly addictive and gives you tons of ideas! Keep posting for everyone's feedback too.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 7

Hi...welcome to Cake Central! I looked at your cake pics...great cakes. When making these types of cakes for people, just remember, they cannot usually go out to a typical bakery and get these types of cakes. For example...your skateboard cake (very cute), bakeries just don't do cakes that shaped like that due to time constraints. Same with wedding cakes...bakeries can charge less per serving, but don't offer the types of decorations we can. So, start off by checking bakery prices around your area and talking with other decorators to find out price ranges. Set your prices to cover all materials and make a small profit to re-invest in more cake decorating supplies. As you gain more experience and word of mouth references, you can usually raise your rates to make more profit. (which, if you are like most decorators, you will put back into more cake stuff!!) I don't think this is a "get rich" type of business, but I do know most decorators will tell you they are in it for the satifaction it brings them when they see a finished product! Good Luck!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 7

Welcome to CC ckirkland icon_smile.gif Great to have you aboard... I feel exactly like cindycakes2 does about charging ... at first, charge at least what the bakeries would charge and make you some profit... after you've gain confidence in yourself, and if a cake is really detailed, you should feel comfortable charging more. You do great work too! A cake like the skateboard you did, you definitely need to charge more for .. these type of cakes cannot be bought at a bakery and takes someone like you to do a specialized cake...

you're off to a great start.. keep up the great work!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 7

I think your cakes are great! You too Briansbaker! If people are asking you to make cakes for them, obviously they think you're good enough, so if you have the desire to do it, go for it!

I agree with the pp's, and say definitely don't sell yourselves short. It is a lot of time and effort to make a cake, not to mention the cost of ingredients. They're not doing you a favor by ordering a cake from you, if they want custom made they should expect to pay sufficiently for it.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%