Nc Members October Mtg.

Lounge By Doug Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 12:21pm by loriemoms

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:17am
post #1 of 51

Since I seem to be by default the unofficial "keeper of the data" (t'aint no secrets being kept!)

----
Here's the new thread for October.

Yes, Rexy, posting that website was a request! THANKS! Your book was fabulous. Don't forget we're all looking forward to a tutorial at the next meeting on how to do those wonderful chocolate bows (yes, folks who are peeking in .... bows of CHOCOLATE and not gumpaste or fondant -- what more could you want!)

And....there was a suggestion we do a poll to see which was the best Sunday in Oct. to meet again. Please vote.

----

It was great fun meeting all y'all, a great fun group. Tho' I think we all need to promise to only bring 1/3 the amount food we brought! There was a surfeit of delectable goodies!

----

Maybe we should also come w/ a list of things we'd like to order in "mass quantities" to get the best price and then split?

----

Thanks again to Joy (Joy2501) and Amy (SouthernCakes) for making this all happen!

----

(Hmmmm a cake tatoo???????)

50 replies
kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:40am
post #2 of 51

Hi everyone! I'm sorry I had to leave and miss out on the "nuts and bolts" of the meeting. I definitely plan on coming next month (and I won't forget to bring a finger food next time)! Will it be at the firehouse again?

Rexy, would you mind giving me a description of the book you brought? I went to the website, so I'm guessing maybe you had your portfolio made up in this format? Chocolate bows sound very cool! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again for setting this up Joy and Amy.

Kathi

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 10:32am
post #3 of 51

Yes, this was great!! It was so much fun to "talk cake" with people who REALLY understand what you are talking about, and not look at you like you have 4 heads on your shoulders!! icon_lol.gif Anyhow, we were suppose to think about things that we would like to learn maybe from others in future tutorials and meetings and I need EVERYTHING!!!! The only thing I'm good at is making a big mess in my kitchen!!! I did like the idea of people bringing different gadgets that they use so that we could play with them, then we would know whether or not it would be an investment worth buying for ourselves.

Thanks again to everyone for being so kind. My DH and I had a good time. And of course thanks to Joy and Amy for hosting. Hope to see you all next month.

Tonya

PS. I was asked by several people where I got my "Got Cake?" shirt and for those of you who have a bad memory (like me), here is a link that will take you straight to the cake stuff; http://www.cafepress.com/buy/cake, or you could just go to www.cafepress.com and make your own shirt by clicking the tab on the toolbar at the top.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 11:39am
post #4 of 51

Hi everyone!

Thanks for doing a great job on organizing this! I agree, it was great talking cake with those who understand what I am saying! I could have talked all afternoon!

I love this idea of doing orders together! I know someone asked if we could post where we have accounts: I have accounts with CK Products, Lucks and Bakery Craft.

Also, those who were asking about tappits:
I have to warn you, they are addicting! If anyone wants to know the secrets to using them, let me know!!

here are some links!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=758
http://www.fmmsugarcraft.com/pages/browse.php?cat=4
http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/MailOrder-Cutters.htm

Looking forward to next time!! Lorie

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 51

Hi Everybody
I had an great time. I wasn't ready to leave when it was over icon_razz.gif Everyone was so nice and the whole thing was exciting. I appreciate everything that everybody contributed. I will be at the next meeting and can't wait to see the chocolate bows. I want to learn how to work with fondant. I haven't work with it yet. I also want to see somebody do the upside down icing technique. The tappits.....darn it i missed that part because I had to use the restroom. What are tappits and how are the used? Also, I really want to try hi-ratio shortening without ordering. Anybody know were i can get it?

Until Next Time
Charisse

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:33am
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Also, those who were asking about tappits:
I have to warn you, they are addicting! If anyone wants to know the secrets to using them, let me know!!....Lorie

Looks like we have a volunteer for another (the 2nd after chocolate bows?) demonstration at a meeting! icon_biggrin.gif

----

OH -- and I forgot an "either is fine choice" on the poll.

so, if either is fine post in thread I guess (or vote twice--once for each?) (or can a moderator fix that?

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 51

I so wish I could have joined all you fellow TARHEELS! But, I am glad you had a great time. I hope I will be able to join you the next time. It sounds as though I may live a great distance from the majority of you but I do have some family in the triangle area so if you meet in that direction maybe I will have to pay them a visit over the weekend. I really hope I will be able to make the next meeting. I would love to learn Choc. bows!

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 51

I need to let everyone know that I can not make the second date, October 21st. So if the majority goes that way (which is fine!) we'll need someone else to do a tutorial. I can always do the chocolate bows at a different meeting, no problem!

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 11:33am
post #9 of 51

sorry haven't been on since the meeting,
life has been crazy here in Sanford.
I was so glad to meet everyone and had a great time
can't wait until the next meeting

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 51

I had a great time at our first meeting. It's so nice to talk with people who understand. I can't wait for our next meeting. For all those who wondered the Fondx was ordered from Caljava. The lady who ordered it is friends with one of the guys there so if we do want to order I can go through her. She's great and so helpful. Whenever I need a supply she has I just call and she sets it aside until I can get there to pick it up. At our next meeting I can bring a sample of the Fondx so everyone can see what it's like and how it is to work with. Oh and I am finally making headway with the VA and have 5 appointments over the next 2 weeks to hopefully order all the supplies and equipment they are going to purchase for me.
-Jenn

sugarfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfreak Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 51

It was great meeting everyone. Thanks again for making this possible.
I will be at Disney World on Oct. 14 so I won't be able to make it that week-end icon_sad.gif

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #12 of 51

I had a great time and it was so good talking to everyone. Thanks for the hosts and the organizers and everyone who brought such great food. I most enjoyed hearing everyone's ideas and just listening to the different ways everyone runs their businesses. It was an awesome time and if I can I will surely make future meetings. You all were so talented and friendly- May God Bless you!!!! Marci

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 51

So - are we meeting on October 21? Rexy can't do the chocolate bow tutorial on that day, so maybe Lorie can show us her tappits?

Jenn2179 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 51

I too was womdering what the plan is. I can't wait to see everyone again.

enchantedmoments Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 51

waiting also.
Has anyone heard from Southerncake to see if the fire dept is available?
If not we can have it at my husband's shop, just need to know to plan for it.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:04am
post #16 of 51

I'm going on vacation to Nag's Head leaving this Saturday. Is this near where you all meet? It would be fun to meet up with you all.

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:25am
post #17 of 51

Cupcakemom.....Nags Head is about 3 hours from me and it took me at an hour and 15 to get to our meeting. So that would be about 4 and a half hours for you.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:41am
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupcakemom

I'm going on vacation to Nag's Head leaving this Saturday. Is this near where you all meet? It would be fun to meet up with you all.

Nags Head is in the Outer Banks, about 5 hours....but its a beautiful beach and I wouldn't mind meeting there! hahaha!

Enjoy you vacation! Make sure you see all the lighthouses!

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:14pm
post #19 of 51

I enjoyed meeting everyone and hearing all of the great business ideas! I will have to miss the October meeting due to NASCAR races. I look forward to seeing everyone in November!
Leslie

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:46pm
post #20 of 51

Okay - so I guess someone just has to make a decision here.

I propose we meet on Oct 21, purely because it had more votes.

Southerncakes - is the fire dept available?

Loriemom - can you show us your tappits?

Doug - if you still have the original list can you PM everyone again? I think some people have lost track of this thread

Thanks everyone - feel free to add your 2 cents.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #21 of 51

Hi everyone,

I am so sorry I haven't been on in forever. Things here, personal and business, have been absolutely insane!!

We cannot do it at the fire department on either day, as family reunions and such really start gearing up around here this time of year and they have it booked pretty solid until the end of the year. After January, I will be able to do it again.

However, Tracy (EnchantedMoments) has kindly offered to have it at her place.

I will be able to attend if it is on the 21st, which it sounds like it is. If Lorie cannot bring her Tappits, I will be happy to bring mine. If there are any other "toys" from CK products, chances are that I may have them. I will be happy to bring anything to show.

Thanks to you all for keeping this going. I hope at the next meeting we can all exchange emails, as right now I am just not able to get on CC very often, but check my email religiously!!!!!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:16am
post #22 of 51

i *might* be able to make it that weekend.

Anyone from the Hickory/Gastonia/Lincolnton/Charlotte area who'd be interested in carpooling and splitting gas? icon_razz.gif

Doni in Lincolnton

Jenn2179 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:34am
post #23 of 51

I plan on being there and I have the tappits too. Now someone can teach me how to use them!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:34am
post #24 of 51

I'm in the Albemarle area, anyone care to be my navigator???

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:41am
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I'm in the Albemarle area, anyone care to be my navigator???

It's really easy to get here from Albemarle. Just MapQuest it and let me know if you need clarification.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #26 of 51

I just mapquested it....It definitely looks achievable! 2 turns and NO spaghetti bowls or superhighways!

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:19pm
post #27 of 51

I won't be able to attend on the 21st. It is my darling husband and niece's b-day so that day is reserved for family. But Doni I live in Hickory so in the future I might be interested in car pooling to things. I would love to see the tappits I looked them up on the web-site but I couldn't tell much about them from their picture. Hope you guys have a great time and I really hope I get to come and join in sometime in the near future.

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:26pm
post #28 of 51

Both weekends won't work for me unfortunately. I have a family wedding, and Mommy Daughter stuff the next. I hope you all have a wonderful time and I wana hear all about it!!!

enchantedmoments Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:58pm
post #29 of 51

I will be working on directions to my husbands studio and will try to post them this weekend.

Hope everyone can make it.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:44pm
post #30 of 51

I'm sorry Chani (Naomi) and I won't be able to come. That's the only day we can get to the fair! Maybe someone could bring Tappitts to another meeting, for those of us who miss out?

Thanks,
Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%