Sports Ball Pan - Those That Have Used It. . .

Decorating By georgiamom Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 1:12pm by Lejla

georgiamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiamom Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 14

I just recently bought the Sports ball pan to make this cake next week. When I was checking out at Michael's, the cashier went on & on about how many problems her sister had with this pan. I asked her what kind of problems and she started saying how she is a professional cake decorator, went to Cordon Bleu, on and on, but her sister had so many problems with this pan and finally got rid of it. She just kept repeating how good her sister is and just had so many problems. The only thing I could think of is that the cakes weren't coming out of the pans well.

If you've used this pan, did you need to do any more than use cake release or flour/oiling the pan?? Or did you have any other problems with this pan??
I'prefer not to have to do too many attempts!! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
melferreira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melferreira Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 14

I used this pan with no problems. just shortening and flour as usual. It came right out. Not sure what she was talking about!!!

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 14

I have used my sports ball pan on several occasions and I have never had any problems with it. I am far from being a professional baker. Good luck with your cake.

WickedBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedBlu Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 14

I've only used my pan once (to make an eyeball for Halloween) and I didn't have any problems with it at all.

aminium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminium Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 14

I haven't had any problems with the pan, I use it a prepare it just like any other pan...the only difference might be that you may have to bake it a little longer.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 14

I've used my pan several times and never had a problem. Just grease and flour like normal.

I'm sure the manager would love it if they knew their staff was discouraging customers from buying products! icon_confused.gif

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 14

I used it to make boobs and I had no problems whatsoever

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 14

I've never had any problems with this pan. One tip though, if you ever use it to make a ball cake, you do have to flatten (level) the bottom side of the ball a little so it doesn't "roll" away on you. icon_lol.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 14

I used it once, it worked just fine! I usually buy and use wilton's easy realease mix to make sure the cakes don't stick.

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 14

Cute cake. icon_smile.gif

I've used this pan and had no problems whatsoever. I made my own cake release with equal amounts of flour/oil/shortening and brushed the pan real well. I also used a rose nail as a heating core.

georgiamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiamom Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

I'm sure the manager would love it if they knew their staff was discouraging customers from buying products! icon_confused.gif

I had the same thought!

Thanks for all the responses! I just could not imagine what problems she had! I don't think the girl really knew what she was talking about because then she said something about how her sister just went back to her normal way of baking cakes - whatever the heck that means!!! I'll actually take a picture of my cake next week and post it! Thanks again!

Connie1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1960 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 14

I have used this pan set many, many, times and have never had a problem. I use Baker's Joy spray. When I make a ball, I level both halves and on my board I put a small glob of icing to set the bottom half in so it doesn't roll. Hope this helps.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 14

I've baked in that pan a bunch of times too, with no problem. I would think there would be more problems trying to ice it than bake it....

Courtney

Lejla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lejla Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 1:12pm
post #14 of 14

I used this pan to make top of thr mushroom and never had any problems with it.Just grease it and flour it.I can't see how could she have had problems with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%