Baked Cake Balls

Baking By mom2csc Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 12:00am by kimbordeaux

mom2csc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2csc Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 5:58am
post #1 of 39

They are SO good!!! I didn't like them before, but made them because everyone else did. Tried baking them, OMG I love them. icon_cry.gif I liked making them before because I was never tempted to eat them. I'm in trouble now!

Not related--- Planned on makeing the mint chocolate chip cake balls tonight, but out of chocolate cake mix. Can't you use a yellow box mix to make a chocolate cake? I thought I read something about that before, but couldn't find it.

38 replies
bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 39

I have used yellow cake and just added hershey's chocolate syrup to it. I think it tasted good. I took some of the andes mints and crushed them and made some cake balls and everyone loved them. Good luck

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 39

You mean you make them and bake them again? What temp and how long? What difference does it make in them?

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 39

yeah, I'm curious, you baked them again?

And I'd just add a third cup of cocoa to a yellow cake mix to make chocolate.

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 39

I'd like to know about baking these as well.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 39

I'm curious too!!

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

You mean you make them and bake them again? What temp and how long? What difference does it make in them?

Yes, I'd like to know too. I make 100's of these little boogers each week at our bakery. K'ly

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 39

By all means, please share what you meant by "you baked them"!!! Curious minds want to know!! icon_biggrin.gif

mom2csc Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 39

YES! bake them again. I know, I wondered whenI read about it, but I LOVE it! I baked for 10minutes. I couldn't remember what temp, I think it was low. I turned the oven to 325, but didn't wait for it to warm up. The outside has a harder/ drier cake like texture, still soft center. Personally I didn't like the cake balls, they just didn't do anyting for me...until now. I read it a previous post that people did this in lieu of freezing to dip. Didn't try dipping yet, but i did roll the double chocolate chip ones in powdered sugar. YUM!

I highly recommend everyone try this, especially if you aren't crazy about them. Let me know how you like them! Thanks to the OP who suggested this, I think (now I'm not immune)

thanks for the tips on the cake mix thumbs_up.gif

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 39

I posted a thread "a new twist on cake balls" earlier about baking them. I saw the majority of the complaints is that they are too mushy or gooey, so I thought baking them again will help this. I made mine into "cookies" (just flatten the balls a bit) to get more even cooking. They come out a little crunchy on the outside and chewy in the inside. I've only done them with chocolate scraps so far but they're like little brownies and soo good, I couldn't get my husband to stop eating them!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 39

darn, now I am going to have to get the ones from the freezer and defrost them, and bake them to see what happens..... icon_lol.gif

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 39

No way, Momlittr. Don't take them out of the freezer to bake them instead, just look at this as a great opportunity to have an excuse to make MORE!!!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 39

I'm gonna have to try that!! I love them as is, but the powered sugar I put on them melted in and got gooey, I guess if you bake them again, it prevents that?????

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 39

I am taking mine out of the freezer right now and make some more. I have some already made but they are kind of gooey so I am going to bake them like a cookie.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 4:21am
post #15 of 39

...lol...cake balls are definately the craze!!!

milosmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milosmami Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 4:37am
post #16 of 39

what are cake balls???
sorry I am jsut now getting up to par icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 5:27am
post #17 of 39

mom2csc,

Do you have an electric or gas oven?

mom2csc Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 6:00am
post #18 of 39

electric

definitely not wet when rolled in the powdered sugar.

i'll have to try flattening them, thanks for the tip.

its great that they are the rage. I get right at 8 dozen from a box of cake mix using the extender recipe. Great profit margin in these little darlings icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 10:36am
post #19 of 39

Ok, I've never made them, so let me get this straight.

You make them according to the recipe, but instead of dipping them in the chocolate, you bake them. Do you then also skip the freezing part?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mom2csc Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 2:09pm
post #20 of 39

yes, make as usual then bake instead of freezing. then you can dip in chocolate or roll in powdered sugar. The first batch I made came from the freezer. I make and freeze until I need. I defrosted mine before I baked them, not sure if you have to. I haven't dipped the baked ones yet, just didn't need to but I will tomorrow.

I will try some presses like cookies tomorrow also. icon_biggrin.gif

badgerang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badgerang Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:20pm
post #21 of 39

Has anyone tried dipping the baked cake balls in chocolate yet? Just wondering how they hold up.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:35am
post #22 of 39

Good tips. I'm posting so that I can save this thread.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:06am
post #23 of 39

I made cake balls once and didn't like them--hated them actually. I (vaguely) remembered reading a thread about baking them. Well, I baked mine too long (at too high a temp probably) and they flattened out into cookies--those I liked. These were red velvet; I sandwiched them with the cream cheese frosting--very yummy! I call them my "elseesee" cookies--Leftover Cake Cookies--lol. I also did this with chocolate cake and they came out very good.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #24 of 39

I'll have to try this! So what temp do you bake them? How long?

sissy007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sissy007 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #25 of 39

I make cake balls and they're delicious! I take my left over cake, crumble it up, add enough buttercream icing to hold it together, then I take a mellon baller and scoop it up, roll them in a tighter ball, freeze then, then dip in melted chocolates. Wonderful!!! I've also used white chocolate gauache instead of icing and those were delicious also. Time consuming but well worth it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:22am
post #26 of 39

Okay now I have a question (well a couple actually), first, do you use a binder in the baked cake balls? Some people don't use any binder because the cake is so moist to begin with. Second, do you dip these in chocolate after they're baked?

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #27 of 39

I can't wait to try this tomorrow! I tend to think the reg. cake balls are kind of mushy too...not a real fan of that texture. Thanks for the tip! thumbs_up.gif

Debi

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:43am
post #28 of 39

icon_smile.gif I'm right with cupcake_cutie....posting to save this thread. I do cake balls, but never heard of baking them after you formed the balls. icon_rolleyes.gif Must say, I think I will try this soon.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm
post #29 of 39

Boy I didn't think I'd ever find this thread again!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:53am
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Boy I didn't think I'd ever find this thread again!!

Cake Balls (Regular & Baked):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-52127-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%