Help! I Need Your Opinion!

Decorating By cindycakes Updated 28 Jul 2005 , 3:35pm by bjfranco

cindycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a baby shower cake this weekend for a close friend of mine and I want it to be perfect. The shower will have a "Rubber Ducky" theme so I was going to use the 3D duck pan and place it on a round cake with bubbles around it. My thought was to make cupcakes and cut them at different heights to put around the duck and then cover in white BC to make the bubbles but I am nervous that I will not get the bubbles to look good using BC. I am thinking about using MMF or Rolled BC but that makes me more nervous since I have never worked with either of these before. Plus I hear that they do not do well in humidity and living in the midwest, believe me, it is humid! I also am concerned about taste with the MMF or Rolled BC. Finally, I was going to use a luster dust on the "bubbles" and again, I have never used it. Is it easy to work with?

Any suggestions will be most welcome. Thank you!

10 replies
gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 11
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 11

I would go for the MMF! I hear that rolled buttercream is a pain to make. My sister made it and darn near burned out the motor in her KA! The duck cake by Lisa is very very cute! You can make the bubble out of the MMF! I think you would be adding more work for yourself by using cupcakes, unless there are going to be quite a few people at the shower and you need the extra cake.

Amy

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 11
bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 11

My friend, who got me into baking, did the attached cake for my best friends baby shower who theme was also rubber ducks. (We incorporated frogs too to make it more boyish.)

The bubbles were made from BC. We liked the way the BC bubbles looked soft and fluffy compared to the fondant. She just made dots/balls with BC right on the cake and then dipped her finger in powder sugar and tapped them into a better ball shape if they had a tip on the ball from when she lifted the icing tip.

Hope this helps.

bj icon_wink.gif
LL

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 11

That's an adorable rubber ducky cake....
Buttercreme would give you more control over the bubbles..but either method would work..
cakegal

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 11

I used buttercream to make the bubbles around this cake. I made them small but you could make them as large as you wanted.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10441/RubberDuck.jpg

cindycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:16am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the ideas! You have been a big help.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:38am
post #9 of 11

I have also seen big and small white gumballs used as bubbles. Just another idea for you. The cake sounds really cute!
traci

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 11

bjfranco said "My friend, who got me into baking, did the attached cake for my best friends baby shower who theme was also rubber ducks."

That cake is BEAUTIFUL! I can see how you got started doing cakes, seeing something like this that your friend was doing! What a gorgeous cake!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 11

Yes Mommymarilyn!! When I saw the cake I was like WOW! Then when I saw everyone's reaction to it (It was a show stopper) ~ I wanted to do it too!

bj icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%