Just Wondering.... About This Group...stupid Idea?

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 5:29am by knoxcop1

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:29pm
post #91 of 120

Please, correct me if I've misunderstood.

Someone may post that they would like a cake for Uncle Charlie who lives in Kookamonga....

a fellow cake decorator who lives near there chimes in that he/she would be more than happy to create something...VOLUNTARILY...MEANING NO MONEY, NO PAYBACK REQUIRED...

If no one chimes in then Uncle Charlie doesn't get a special cake...

Kind of like any friend asking, "hey, is there someone willing to make a cake for my cousin's 16th birthday?" If you can, say so...if not, don't...

only those who are members of the C.A.K.E.S.(or whatever the name is gonna be)can make a request, correct? something among friends, right?
not for just anyone to enter a request, right?

I think it's an awesome idea!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:33pm
post #92 of 120

but what if DAFFY DILLY becomes a member in order to have a cake made for her Uncle Charlie but she turns out to be Uncle Charlie and greets you at the door as a he and wants to see what the icing tastes like on you and and and and...ugh

PRESCREENING???????

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:39pm
post #93 of 120

I think it's a wonderful idea. I think it should be voluntary and completely free. I love doing things for other people when I'm able and I don't care if I get "paid back." I think the original idea was to keep it simple. If you request a cake you can request a simple flavor (choc, white, butter cake) and suggest a design, but ultimately you have no control because you appreciate someone doing it for free.

Will it be perfect? No. Could someone get hurt? Yes. But I believe that most people are good and will honor the "system." So, if it does go forward, count me in!

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:42pm
post #94 of 120

Great idea! Please let us know the final outcome.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:44pm
post #95 of 120

Count me in. I'm in Richmond, Ky! I love this idea.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm
post #96 of 120

I think it's got to be a matter of trust. And if someone "cheats" for any reason they are to be removed from the "club" kinda thing... I don't think anyone would do such a thing but yes there are people like that out there.

I still think it's a great idea. I agree with Doug on the whole thing about the WalMart Gift Cards IF the person ordering feels the need to pay for the cake then that could be an option since most of us can get supplies at walmart. Not saying we NEED to charge but if the orderer feels the need to pay the baker for the supplies in exchange as a simple thank you for taking your time to do this for me kinda thing...

I also got to thinking about how this could be done.... so say I ask Jane to make a cake for my great aunt who lives in timbucktoo.... (all my relatives live here so lol) she agrees or volunteers from the list of helpers and she bakes the cake and then sends me a photo of the finished product before delievery to make sure it's up to par so to speak. And then we could also request our relative or whomever the cake was for to take a snap shot to make sure it was received in the proper condition and not a different cake.... or maybe just request a photo pre-delivery so that when the receiver calls to thank you - you know what the received lol. icon_smile.gif Not saying anyone would cut corners or anything like that, just so we'd know what we are giving them ya know. I hate for someone to call and say oh my I loved the message and I loved the colors and the flavor and so on and so on and I had no clue what colors flavor message said creator put on the cake lol....

I dunno just my two cents. Also on the whole thing that if you aren't licensed..... Wouldn't this be just like a sewing group or a book club or something like that, just we can't physically meet and greet.... we can meet and greet over the internet and/or via telephone (Verizon has a great l/d plan for all of the US for one flat rate no cost PER call like it used to be icon_wink.gif) anyway... I think it'd be like doing a friend a favor, just like we would for a relative or family friend here, we make a cake for lil Johnny's mom for lil Johnny's birthday party and don't charge her because she's a friend, and she repays you by taking you to lunch or making you a dish of her famous fried chicken. lmao I dunno just my 3 cents lol

Ok so thats a nickel..... next time maybe a dime icon_wink.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm
post #97 of 120

lol...allforcake! I got a mental image of that. I had thought of something like maybe a time limit as a member before a one could join this activity?

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:48pm
post #98 of 120

I think this is a very interesting idea.

I'm a member of an online group where we were all due with kids in March of 2000. We're still together as a group and I've had ladies on there tell me, "I wish we were closer so you could make my kids' bday cake."

And then when someone is feeling blue, I've often wanted to send a pick-me-up kinda thing and can't do it, because they live across the country and flowers are so expensive, kwim?

This could be just the thing!!

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:01pm
post #99 of 120

I love this idea. Please let me know when the final decsion is made and how to join the "club". But remember no hazing is allowed icon_lol.gif lol

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:23pm
post #100 of 120

Chaska MN, count me in. Let me know how this all shakes out!!

queenarmadillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenarmadillo Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:47pm
post #101 of 120

I think its a lovely idea, and would be happy to get involved when my cakes get more consistently edible, but I thought of a couple of problems that might need addressing (and have no helpful suggestions as to how to do so, and I just hate picking holes in things if I dont have a better suggestion).
1) The internet is very open to abuse, and all the authorities advise that you never meet anyone off the internet without being in a public place with friends etc. Im not sure how well this advice squares up with me turning up at the house of a relative of someone I met on the internet. There is (probably) no way to trace the initial poster of the request if they try to be anonymous, and in any case they can't be held responsible when my body is found in their relatives cellar (extreme example I know, but it makes the point). I think to be safe some kind of public meeting between baker and reciever of cake would need to be aranged, which could be more effort for the reciever of cake than the gift is really worth to them.
2) If any baker anywhere can sign up, whilst it wouldnt worry me if the cake my relative recieved was not top class decorative work, it might bother me if there were, for example, pet hairs in the cake, cream filling that had been left out of fridge for some time, cake not properly baked. If a relative sent me a cake made by someone over the internet they didnt know, Im not sure how keen I would be to eat it.

I guess what Im saying is that whilst I love the idea of helping out people on the boards who have answered all my begginer baker questions by getting to practice my baking and deliver a £5 cake to their relative that might cost them £40 to get there in one piece, even the people on here whos posts I see and respect frequently are just a name on a webforum to me, and to the forum they are just an email address and possibly an ip. Normally through online transactions there is the added protection of each party learning the bank details of the other, and whilst I agree that the exchange should be free and reciprocal, the lack of paypal / cheques / addresses of commissioner/commissionee of the cake changing hands leaves everyone very anonymous and unaccountable.

(P.S. I really dont think you all want to poison / torture me, but it only has to happen to someone once...)

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:58pm
post #102 of 120

I have to say I was thinking some of the same things queenarmadilo. Unfortunately that is just the reality of the world we live in today. So I won't be suprised when Jackie and Heath say this needs to be an off-CC project.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:23pm
post #103 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

---------

as far as listing...

well we already have a "cake decorating services" listing area up in the LINKS tab.

THAT was the link I was talking about!! lol..and also as someone posted about doing it as a favor...?? what happens when 20 people call someone in NY to make a cake for one of their relatives and this person doesn't have anyone out of state that needs a cake?

So..this NY baker makes 20 free cakes and doesn't get ANYTHING for them, not even a free cake!! THAT to me has a potential of creating hurt and bad feelings.

I would rather pay someone to do something like this for me so I KNOW they will do their best and not throw something together because they were practicing!!

and to answer your question, getting lic entails having a goverment regulate your kitchen, sanitation and storage.

and as far as someone saying that someone that expresses concern shouldn't participate...Well, I'm just expressing my opinion and playing Devil's Advocate...

and my POV comes from having a fledgling Lic. Business. I'm not saying this is a bad idea, I'm just looking past the "GOOD HAPPY FEELING" and into the future. This is going to take a LOT of work...especially if it's going to be done as "freebie favors"

I KNOW that a lot of you have heard the saying..."The road to Hell is paved with good intentions". icon_smile.gif

Just make sure that you guys work EVERYTHING out and provide for ALL eventuallities before you bring this out of the planning stages..

that's all!

Have fun and let me know what happens!! thumbs_up.gif

meghabyte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghabyte Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:30pm
post #104 of 120

I have met many people from the internet, and they have all been who they said they were, but it IS a valid concern that someone might not be.

And licensed or unlicensed wouldn't concern me except for the reasons queenarmadillo noted. I don't know how clean your keep your kitchen, and I don't know how strict you are about your standards. This may apply to licensed bakeries as well, but a licensed bakery has at least been inspected by SOMEBODY.

I would recommend against bringing money into it in any way, and I would recommend against "orders." You could say "My Uncle Charlie likes lemon and fruity flavors, but not chocolate, and he hates purple," but not "My Uncle Charlie wants a lemon cake with whipped cream frosting and a big yellow duck on top."

It's a nice idea, and if you trust the people involved, then I'd say go for it. I don't think I'd participate myself, for the reasons I've given above, but I'd be happy to recommend a bakery in the area if anyone wanted that kind of advice.

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:32pm
post #105 of 120

I think its a great idea!!! I think if Uncle Charlie doesnt like a certain flavor ex chocolate, lemon that should be said. Or if Uncle Charlie loves lemon that should be said as well. To save Uncle Charlie from having a heart attack call him in advance and say hey Uncle Charlie....one of my CC will be delivering a cake to you from me. Just something upbeat hey Uncle Charlie Happy Birthday you will be receving a cake from one of my friends. I know I have done a lot of free cake just to practice and you know there is nothing like seeing someones face light up when they get a cake its like when you get flowers and you werent expecting it....I would love to be a part of this group. I live in West Texas, Abilene TX.
MC

RisqueBusiness Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:37pm
post #106 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

but what if DAFFY DILLY becomes a member in order to have a cake made for her Uncle Charlie but she turns out to be Uncle Charlie and greets you at the door as a he and wants to see what the icing tastes like on you and and and and...ugh

PRESCREENING???????

Or someone that becomes a member to get free cakes and then is always too busy to return the favor or quits after they get their free cake??

seraphim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seraphim Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:45pm
post #107 of 120

Well I'm in central Scotland so if anyone wants to send a gift across continents count me in!

Practice is practice and it's a nice thought and intention.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:56pm
post #108 of 120

I think its a great idea. For those who are saying what if someone just signs up to get a free cake then disappears thats what the point was when someone said that you have to do a favor 1st in order to get a favor. If there are alot of requests for lets say for cakes in NY and the baker in NY thinks its just too much and she didnt get any favors yet then she doesnt have to do it, its voluntary. You dont have to do every cake thats requested for your city. You cannot get abused unless you abuse yourself. Only this year i was looking for a way to send a cake to my SIL and i called bakeries i knew and they wouldnt deliver and it was supposed to be a surprise so i didnt want her to go pick it up. I ended up ordering a cake from the cheesecake factory which cost me about $25 to deliver a $25 cake. Definately count me in.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:18pm
post #109 of 120

I think we need to develop a list and decide what on the list stays and goes. I'm sure we are all busy getting things ready for holidays, etc. but we can work on this. ..... We should get the yahoo thing set up.... maybe develop our list there.....

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:20pm
post #110 of 120

seems to be alot of negativity about this idea. Not sure why. I mean I can see their points but at the same time it's not like they have to participate. Almost reminds me of when I was a kid and somebody would come up with a good idea and somebody else would just pick it apart and find everything wrong with it, only because they didn't think of it first! icon_evil.gif Hmmm????????? Could that be the issue here? Very well could be!

Anyway like I said before, I personally think it's a great idea. I would love to be able to help somebody out as a "favor"

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:27pm
post #111 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

PRESCREENING???????

Oh thanks alot for putting that image in my head! lol. I'm such a paranoid person (hubby sais paranoid, I say cautious)....... like when I'm driving at night and it seems like that car behind me has been there awhile, I won't go straigt home, till they turn first.....ok, so maybe paranoid! Yeah, didn't need to add this to the list..... icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:28pm
post #112 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1978

seems to be alot of negativity about this idea. Not sure why. I mean I can see their points but at the same time it's not like they have to participate. Almost reminds me of when I was a kid and somebody would come up with a good idea and somebody else would just pick it apart and find everything wrong with it, only because they didn't think of it first! icon_evil.gif Hmmm????????? Could that be the issue here? Very well could be!

Anyway like I said before, I personally think it's a great idea. I would love to be able to help somebody out as a "favor"

sorry to burst your bubble..lol, but no..it's not that..( as a matter of fact I already have something in the works with college campuses along the same line!! and setting it up with several of the chefs at University..so..no..) I'm just letting people know the facts that have come up without giving away too much of my own idea. I have been working on this since the summer!!!

EVERY good idea needs a Devil's Advocate!!! so there are NO bad surprises in the end. People will be people and even the BEST of people can have a lapse.

So, now you see where I'm coming from? I'm a few steps ahead on this matter than the planning stage and I have had more than a few things to address, and if it were just as simple as just getting baker a to bake a cake for baker b uncle charlie...I'd be up and running already!

I feel that I am an artist first and foremost, but have learned to be a business woman..KICKING AND SCEAMING all the way there! lol

Like I said before, keep me posted!! and good luck on getting this off the ground! Wishes from the bottom of my heart! I sincerely give you my advice or my concerns...not to bring ANYONE down!!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 7:31pm
post #113 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie2881

I think its a great idea. For those who are saying what if someone just signs up to get a free cake then disappears thats what the point was when someone said that you have to do a favor 1st in order to get a favor. If there are alot of requests for lets say for cakes in NY and the baker in NY thinks its just too much and she didnt get any favors yet then she doesnt have to do it, its voluntary. You dont have to do every cake thats requested for your city. You cannot get abused unless you abuse yourself. Only this year i was looking for a way to send a cake to my SIL and i called bakeries i knew and they wouldnt deliver and it was supposed to be a surprise so i didnt want her to go pick it up. I ended up ordering a cake from the cheesecake factory which cost me about $25 to deliver a $25 cake. Definately count me in.

OK... One problem I see is that although everyone has valuable input, only some rules will be put into the site.... I think most are in agreement to KISS.... Yes, there are hygiene issues, what if someone gets sick from a cake, etc.? Who would be liable.... Well, if I gave a cake to my neighbor and she got seriously ill...I guess they would examine my cake.... So, in a sense the baker is still the one giving the item and is fairly responsible for what is in it....
BASIC STARTING IDEAS
1) We need to set up Yahoo site
2) Develop some KISS rules
3) Even with input, who will have final say..? (too many chiefs....)
4) People review and decide if they want to be part...
5) A list is compiled of bakers and cities....
6) Set up so someone can put in a request
7) Somehow would need to be tagged if taken....
icon_cool.gifParticipants will include url in their signatures...
9)Not sure if I want to do this all by myself...maybe two others... 3 of us will make final decision...? Someone with some business experience...a more techy person...
10)Membership may grow...
Last and not least Name: C.A.K.E. , C.A.K.E buds, etc. etc.

I am going to start a new posting on this BUT we have to get Yahoo set up and not use CC!

meghabyte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghabyte Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 9:17pm
post #114 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1978

I'm another who has pointed out negative issues, and as I said in my original post, go for it! I don't want to bring anybody down either. I think it's a little bit rude to imply that I wish it were my idea just because I don't happen to think it's a perfect scenario.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 4:08am
post #115 of 120

I really don't think anyone who plays devil's advocate is being rude . . . just looking out for all of us! I for one appreciate the close knit community we've got here and any words of caution are surely done out of compassion. It's always good to go into something having thought through all of the angles. I have truly seen such a kind and giving nature from so many people here and it helps to read each post assuming that's the tone behind it.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 5:04am
post #116 of 120

Since RisqueBusiness mentioned college campus I thought I'd share the following. My grandmother is an alum of a university in her town and she along with a group of other alums bakes cakes for the students. The parents call up some head person and says I want a cake for my kid. One of the alum bakes and frosts (no deco) a cake and delivers it. Now in this case the parents pay for the cake so it is a kind of fundraising because the alum bake and deliver the cakes for free. Nobody is a licensed baker, just people wanting to do a good deed. It's been going on for many years.

I know there are lots of things to figure out. There are negatives to consider and we should appreciate those people for helping us see them before they bite us in the butt! But I do believe it could work and I just wanted to share one way that does work icon_smile.gif

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 7:48am
post #117 of 120

Well let me just say I wasn't trying to be rude I was just trying to make light of everybody's neg comments..... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I think Im done following this post! people seem a little to uptight for me. Sorry if I offended anybody, wasn't meant like that at all!

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 8:25am
post #118 of 120

i am game count me in. i leave in Abuja Nigeria

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 8:33am
post #119 of 120

i am game count me in. i leave in Abuja Nigeria.
Just keep me posted. i will definately like to be part of making love go around the world

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 5:29am
post #120 of 120

I'm definitely in. icon_biggrin.gif

Knoxville, TN here.

Ummm...It's really simple about the "hesitations" and "cleanliness" and "unlicensed" issues, Y'all: If any of those things "bother" you, JUST DON'T PARTICIPATE! thumbs_up.gif

It's a lovely idea. Let's keep the "lovely" in it.

--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%