Just Wondering.... About This Group...stupid Idea?

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 5:29am by knoxcop1

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:50pm
post #31 of 120

Sounds like a great idea. I'd be interested in helping out.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:54pm
post #32 of 120

keep a "favor tally" ie you can get a favor, but have to do a favor before getting another.

I don't know about a tally.... If I saw someone wanted one, I would not necessarily care if I got one in return.... I was thinking keep it simple, if you want to step up to the cake plate then fine.... If you feel you have been asked too much then don't offer.... IF someone asks too much then they won't get responses.... Details of what was offered could be private, supply costs, etc. could be discussed privately, etc. I was just thinking if we had a list of folks that wanted to be part of it w/their locations...

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:55pm
post #33 of 120

Count me in also. I think that is a wonderful idea. Kind of like FTD Flowers. I would be willing to do it just for the practice. Probably need to make some stipulations on the size and type of cake. I couldn't afford to do a wedding cake for free, but a birthday sheet cake wouldn't be a problem. Carved cakes get quite labor intensive so I guess we need to brainstorm to see what we can and cannot do. I'm in all the way!

chaniliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaniliz Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:01pm
post #34 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansgold

I think it's a great idea. I don't really know too many people out of state that I would want to be sending cakes to, but I would love to help somebody else out. Let me know!

Titansgold - LOVE the saying!!!!! But they do get moody, so it's kinda like having a wife who will squish bugs LOL. FYI, all these are prior, but:
Me - USAF
Fiance - USMC
Ex-Dh - USNavy
Father - USArmy
Ds (icon_cool.gif - wants to be a pilot in USAF
Dd (4) - is a "Submarine" and wants to be a Marine

I would definantly be up for the volunteer thing! I'd say keep expenses under $10 plus gas, you can keep a "favor tally" ie you can get a favor, but have to do a favor before getting another. We would have to understand that the design is ultimately dependent on the skill and time of the decorator, but some may go "all out" if they are trying new skills. This would be basically single tier all occasion or birthday cakes, and special occasion cakes would be on a paying or private basis, not volunteer. I REALLY like this idea! It would give us more people to bake for, and the "pay it forward" basis is PERFECT!!!

icon_biggrin.gif I want to be part of and I agree with zmama. I'm just a newbie and needs lot of practices. but i will try to delivered the best cake I can.
Liz

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:02pm
post #35 of 120

Exactly.... keep them simple....KISS Baking... like a sheet cake or just two layers w/filling.... Still think we need to keep the money private... If someone did a wedding cake free then would make others look really bad. I think amount of labor and cost of supplies will definitely be a factor.... Also no one would want to drive really far..... We could have a guideline but then let the particulars be worked out with each other.... I think if we publicized what we did for someone or they did then it could get "sticky"....

STILL WOULD LIKE A MODERATOR's input.....how?????

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:04pm
post #36 of 120

I think it's a great idea, count me in. I live between Palm Springs and Salton Sea area don't know if that would help anyone. I only have one person out of state, a son in Austin,Texas. Please let me know the details.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:07pm
post #37 of 120

It sounds like a good idea. Count me in.

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:10pm
post #38 of 120

I'm in TX and by the time this gets going it will be March..which coincidently is my birthday....anyone wanna bake me a purrty cake???? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:15pm
post #39 of 120

I think it's a great idea!!! Count me in. I'm in western Washington (Olympia area) and would love to add more cakes to my portfolio, paid for or not!

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:19pm
post #40 of 120

I think it is a great idea and I would definitely do it! Maybe (like someone already sadi) it could be like FTD flowers. It could get big like people could order cakes off of cakecentral and then the members could could make and deliver them. Just an addition to your idea, but i definitely like it and I would participate. Im in the Philadelphia area in case anyone has family or friends here!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:19pm
post #41 of 120

Not a bad idea at all. I would be up for it. My schedule is sometimes crazy, other times pretty open, so it would all depend on the kind of week I was having.

I think this could be a really great way to help some of your business too. You'd strike up relationships with new people and maybe get more orders. Really, it's pretty clever! icon_smile.gif

I don't do cakes as a business, but would still be open to doing this for someone in my area if there were a need. icon_wink.gif

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:21pm
post #42 of 120

You can PM Heath or Jackie to see if they would want to include something like that on this site. I think it sounds like a great idea! If it wouldn't work out on CC, you could always create a yahoo group where everyone could post cake needs, etc. My area playgroup has a yahoo group and that's how we all keep in touch and schedule outings. It works really well. Just a thought....

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:21pm
post #43 of 120

Here we come!!!! I live in Orange Park,FL/Jacksonville area.

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:23pm
post #44 of 120

Yeah Zmama, my fiance is in the Air Force. He's a new 2Lt just graduated from the Air Force Academy. Starts pilot training next May. I can't blame any of them though, if I had as much stress as he does on a daily basis I'd be at bit "moody" too. : )

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:28pm
post #45 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmom

You can PM Heath or Jackie to see if they would want to include something like that on this site. I think it sounds like a great idea! If it wouldn't work out on CC, you could always create a yahoo group where everyone could post cake needs, etc. My area playgroup has a yahoo group and that's how we all keep in touch and schedule outings. It works really well. Just a thought....

Yes, absolutely... Great idea... I am not a techy person.... Someone who knows how to set this type of thing up? Hmmm? I only figured some sort of site or mailbox to post requests and list of folks who volunteer to get the notices some how..... After we figure it out we can think of cute names... but now I am putting the icing before the cake....LOL! something..... across the miles.....

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:31pm
post #46 of 120

I think it's a wonderful idea. Mind you I'm a bit out of the way since I'm down here in Baja, but a good idea just the same.

DebraJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraJ Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:34pm
post #47 of 120

I think it's a GREAT idea. I'm in Dulles, VA. Keep me posted.

Debra

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:34pm
post #48 of 120

I think it a simply WONDERFUL idea. I don't have friends or family any where else but would love to be able to do something nice for some one elses (is that a word or Oklahoma drawl?) family.

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:38pm
post #49 of 120

I sent a PM to Jackie and Heath.... re this.... told them it has generated a lot of interest. Asked about using CC or perhaps just a link to a Yahoo playgroup type thing for it..... Will let you know....

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:44pm
post #50 of 120

icon_surprised.gif Yall I am brain storming a name for this, help me out here. Maybe I can get yalls brains turning. Heres what I have so far:

C.A.K.E.S. w/ cake

C-stands for caring
A-stands for about
K-stands for keeping
E-stands for events
S-stands for special

Yall what ya think? Its a bit to long though..... icon_redface.gif

I can take it. icon_lol.gif

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:47pm
post #51 of 120

Great Idea Jopalis, and you thought you were gonna be called an idiot.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:48pm
post #52 of 120

I'd be interested. Keep us posted.

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:50pm
post #53 of 120

LOL....I thought I was the only one putting the icing before the cake!!! People have mentioned Hallmark and I keep thinking of what I think is Pillsbury's .... nothing says lovin like something from the oven.... We have to steer clear of gettings sued but... something on that vein... cake... something loving sent across the miles, etc. This whole thing could die a sudden or slow death but what the heck...we're just brainstorming.....

kellylowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellylowe Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:53pm
post #54 of 120

Count me in over here in Lake Charles, Louisiana

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:54pm
post #55 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

LOL....I thought I was the only one putting the icing before the cake!!! People have mentioned Hallmark and I keep thinking of what I think is Pillsbury's .... nothing says lovin like something from the oven.... We have to steer clear of gettings sued but... something on that vein... cake... something loving sent across the miles, etc. This whole thing could die a sudden or slow death but what the heck...we're just brainstorming.....

I am the WORLDS worst at jumping the gun!!

I like this: nothing says lovin like something from the oven....

Ok I am just brainstorming.....Ill stop, maybe. icon_rolleyes.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:00pm
post #56 of 120

I think it's a great idea! I'm in Kettering OH (Dayton area).

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:04pm
post #57 of 120

Count me in! Someone posted earlier this month looking for someone who could make a cake in the St. Louis area but they were looking for someone professional (meaning that I don't make cakes for $$$, just for friends and family so I couldn't help) and since reading that post, I also thought how neat it would be to send a cake across the miles, minus the shipping costs, that is! I think it's a great gesture and a fabulous idea. Just think of all of the occasions you could celebrate with your loved ones who are far from home!

This isn't a cute-sy name, but I like, "Cakes by Proxy".

offthewallcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
offthewallcakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:05pm
post #58 of 120

Love the idea!! Have to go run kids right now(Mom's Taxi) lol
I will watch for more info on this idea.
Spokane Wa

ablksapphire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ablksapphire Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:05pm
post #59 of 120

This is a wonderful idea...I'm in St. Louis, Missouri...I like the C.A.K.E.S. that was really cute!

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:07pm
post #60 of 120

I will talk this over with Jackie and see what she thinks.. if it should be integrated into CC or offsite.

I'll post here later with comments..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%